Canada Insurance madness! NEVER go online!

Old February 14th 05, 08:32 PM
RichA

Default Canada Insurance madness! NEVER go online!

Mach-1 is pricy.
Well, it's been a really interesting time of it, searching for
insurance in Toronto. What I did find out is that I reside in the
most expensive part of the most expensive city to have auto insurance
in, in Canada, that is.

Here's how it's shaped up;
Prices are in U.S. dollars, add 20% for Canadian.
The first quotes I did were online, with those automated policy
companies, some of them banks, etc.

My record;
43 year old, with no tickets and no claims in 7 years.
However, one small catch; The insurance I last had was over a year
ago. After that, my car was covered under a company fleet policy,
which was an arranged part of my pay package. But, I didn't see
the downside, which is that this is a no-no to insurance companies.
Constant insurance = lower rates. That one year break was BAD!
Never mind the perfect driving record.

Here's how it's shaped up;
Prices are in U.S. dollars, add 20% for Canadian.
The first quotes I did were online, with those automated policy
companies, some of them banks, etc.

$6400-$10,000. Pretty frightening, huh?

At that point, I realized it would cost me as much as the car to
insure it. I seriously considered getting rid of the vehicle, because
the cost for the car would be something like $22,000/yr, all
inclusive.

So, I called some insurers whom I'd been given the names of.

Company 1. Sorry, we don't insure people who have had a lapse in
their personal insurance. You have to go to "facility."

"Facility" is a horror word. It's the government's mandate that
people who are uninsurable are insured because they have to have
insurance. The cost is astronomic. For instance; A 20 year old
driving a sedan forced to go to facility in Ontario would pay around
$18,000/yr. I'd sooner use the money to pay the mortgage on a house!

Company 2. My old company. They weren't too interested because I'd
opted out of their policy ($1000 payout) in order to do the thing with
my company. Quote: $5900. Better, but still stratospheric.

Company 3. Well, because you lapsed your insurance, you're looking at
$4355.00 for the year. However, if you go one year at that rate, it
would be $2800 the following year which is what you'd be paying if you
hadn't lapsed."
This is pretty acceptable.

Company 4. $8500.00. Bye now.

Company 5. No answer yet.

So, it's been really exciting.
Oh, for Torontonians; If you move to Mississauga, Newmarket, etc, out
of Toronto, you're insurance will be 1/3rd less.

-Rich

Old February 14th 05, 09:36 PM

ouch, in B.C. we have govt iinsurance, much cheaper, $1950 can. for
the 05 Gt with 4 year accident free discount. the full load
including, new replacement, roadside assistance, under insured
protection, liscence, tranfer fees.
Old February 14th 05, 10:08 PM
Gumby

I also live in Toronto (Scarborough to be exact) and I am 40 yrs old, with
also no tickets and no claims in 7 yrs. I pay $4,500.00 per yr and consider
myself lucky to get that rate! Collision is the huge $$$ factor in my
policy. Maybe I'll just say I moved to Mississauga

Gumby
'04GT

Old February 14th 05, 11:05 PM
Bill

In Saskatchewan, a 2005 FORD MUSTANG GT, the registration and insurance for
this vehicle is $1,662.00 CDN per year. This is with a $700.00 deductable.
Age has no effect on the price

Bill

RichA > wrote in news:ds0211le87a0jh1v959ftlmbc12tt7jk00@
4ax.com:

Old February 15th 05, 12:47 AM
Jafo

"RichA" > wrote in message
> What I did find out is that I reside in the
> most expensive part of the most expensive city to have auto insurance
> in, in Canada, that is.

Again.. Ontario supports the rest of the country.

> However, one small catch; The insurance I last had was over a year
> ago. After that, my car was covered under a company fleet policy,
> which was an arranged part of my pay package. But, I didn't see
> the downside, which is that this is a no-no to insurance companies.
> Constant insurance = lower rates. That one year break was BAD!
> Never mind the perfect driving record.

I ran into a similar lapsed deal when I was considering getting back into
bikes.
They wanted like 150% the price of the 2 year old Goldwing I was looking at.
Because I hadn't had one for a few years, I would be considered a new
rider.. yeah right!
Was 51 at the time, clean record, been a licenced rider for 35 years, ridden
everything from choppers to cruisers to sport bikes....needless to say the
impulse was quashed in a large hurry.

> Company 2. My old company. They weren't too interested because I'd
> opted out of their policy ($1000 payout) in order to do the thing with
> my company. Quote: $5900. Better, but still stratospheric.

Vindictive bastids aren't they!

> Company 3. Well, because you lapsed your insurance, you're looking at
> $4355.00 for the year. However, if you go one year at that rate, it
> would be $2800 the following year which is what you'd be paying if you
> hadn't lapsed."
> This is pretty acceptable.

Thinking this sounds familiar.

> Oh, for Torontonians; If you move to Mississauga, Newmarket, etc, out
> of Toronto, you're insurance will be 1/3rd less.

Missy & Newmarket are close to rural areas, just don't tell them you work in
Toronto!

--
Jafo
'02 GT Black

Old February 15th 05, 03:00 AM

Bill wrote:

> In Saskatchewan, a 2005 FORD MUSTANG GT, the registration and insurance for
> this vehicle is $1,662.00 CDN per year. This is with a $700.00 deductable.
> Age has no effect on the price
>
> Bill
>
> RichA > wrote in news:ds0211le87a0jh1v959ftlmbc12tt7jk00@
> 4ax.com:
>

>>Mach-1 is pricy.
>>Well, it's been a really interesting time of it, searching for
>>insurance in Toronto. What I did find out is that I reside in the
>>most expensive part of the most expensive city to have auto insurance
>>in, in Canada, that is.

Having lived there for 20 years all I can say is;

"Yeah, but its _Saskatchewan_".
Old February 15th 05, 04:11 AM

your right, time to dissolve this farce of a confederation called
canada.
Old February 15th 05, 06:02 AM
Jafo

Oh yeah.. Alberta that place west of here.. got one main street called the
Trans Canada Highway.
... minja that puts it on the same level as most of Ontario north of the Soo.
--
Jafo
'02 GT Black

Old February 15th 05, 07:26 AM

Alberta would be much better off out of canada.