One that got away

Old June 6th 05, 10:26 PM
Christian M. Mericle

Default One that got away

Went to an (non-auction) estate sale this weekend. Pulled up in front
of a 1970 VW Bus. I looked it over before going inside. If there was
any kind of ding or dent on the body, it must have been tiny because I
didn't see it. Rust was nil. Green paint was weathered but I've seen
much worse. Plus, none of the glass on any of the windows was cracked.
Had both of its backseats as well as a hard plastic VW cover over the
spare. The front seats had seen better days but were okay. Also had an
air condition (under dash type). I noticed a couple of plugs lying in
the engine compartment, so that might indicate a problem with the
motor.

Asked the lady inside if it was for sale. She told me she had already
sold it. When I asked her for how much, she told me she had traded it
out for about $100 worth of labor. Ahhhh!

-- Christian
'71 Bus -- Turtle

Save Darfur -- http://www.savedarfur.org/
World Vision (Darfur) -- http://donate.wvus.org/OA_HTML/xxwvi...item=107218 2
ICC (Sudan) -- http://www.persecution.org/Countries/sudan.html
Old June 7th 05, 03:21 PM
TerryB

Christian M. Mericle wrote:

> Asked the lady inside if it was for sale. She told me she had already
> sold it. When I asked her for how much, she told me she had traded it
> out for about $100 worth of labor. Ahhhh!
>
> -- Christian
> '71 Bus -- Turtle
>
> Save Darfur -- http://www.savedarfur.org/
> World Vision (Darfur) -- http://donate.wvus.org/OA_HTML/xxwvi...item=107218 2
> ICC (Sudan) -- http://www.persecution.org/Countries/sudan.html

You know, I feel the pain. I hope someone got it that will take care
of it and not just sell it for scrap or worse. That is the way my luck
runs, wrong place, wrong time.

Old June 7th 05, 04:25 PM
Christian M. Mericle

On 7 Jun 2005 07:21:26 -0700, "TerryB" > wrote:

>Christian M. Mericle wrote:
>
>> Asked the lady inside if it was for sale. She told me she had already
>> sold it. When I asked her for how much, she told me she had traded it
>> out for about $100 worth of labor. Ahhhh!
>>
>> -- Christian
>> '71 Bus -- Turtle

>You know, I feel the pain. I hope someone got it that will take care
>of it and not just sell it for scrap or worse. That is the way my luck
>runs, wrong place, wrong time.

Yeah, if he fixes it up and uses it, that's great. But, just in case
he was hoping to flip it for a few dollars profit, I taped to the
sterring wheel a note with my name and phone number. Maybe he'll call
me instead of calling the scrap yard.

-- Christian

Old June 7th 05, 06:26 PM
Remco

TerryB wrote:
> Christian M. Mericle wrote:
>
> > Asked the lady inside if it was for sale. She told me she had already
> > sold it. When I asked her for how much, she told me she had traded it
> > out for about $100 worth of labor. Ahhhh!
> >
> > -- Christian
> > '71 Bus -- Turtle
> >
> > Save Darfur -- http://www.savedarfur.org/
> > World Vision (Darfur) -- http://donate.wvus.org/OA_HTML/xxwvi...item=107218 2
> > ICC (Sudan) -- http://www.persecution.org/Countries/sudan.html

> You know, I feel the pain. I hope someone got it that will take care
> of it and not just sell it for scrap or worse. That is the way my luck
> runs, wrong place, wrong time.

Sorry to hear you missed the boat on that one.

With "worse", I can think of several things that have been done:

I've seen one local shopping centre that converted an old van (it had
those cool windows along the roof edge - not sure what that type is)
into a gumball machine holder. Since then, there are several others but
those are at least made out of poly so are fake.
One home renovation TV show used a westy nose for decoration.