Suzuki Sidekick heating/cooling problem

Old January 27th 05, 01:36 AM
Danny Madden

Default Suzuki Sidekick heating/cooling problem

I have a 1993 Suzuki Sidekick. It is now winter with cold temperatures (not
real cold...down to -10 degree celcius) and now the vehicle will not heat up
enough to be comfortable in the cab. I replaced the thermostat with a new
'winter rated' thermostat (180-192 degree) but the air from the heater is
still not warm enough. There is a temperature gauge in the dash which shows
the temperature increasing but only just above the 'C' mark (which makes
sense seeing the are is only slightly warm). You can actually see when the
thermostat opens because the gauge increases and then drops a little. I'm
stuck for ideas and sick of being cold! Any suggestions?

I should also mention that during the summer months the temperature gauge
did increase to the normal area which is where I'd like to see it now.

Thanks.

Old January 27th 05, 02:02 AM
Lawrence Glickman

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 22:06:25 -0330, "Danny Madden"
> wrote:

>I have a 1993 Suzuki Sidekick. It is now winter with cold temperatures (not
>real cold...down to -10 degree celcius) and now the vehicle will not heat up
>enough to be comfortable in the cab. I replaced the thermostat with a new
>'winter rated' thermostat (180-192 degree) but the air from the heater is
>still not warm enough. There is a temperature gauge in the dash which shows
>the temperature increasing but only just above the 'C' mark (which makes
>sense seeing the are is only slightly warm). You can actually see when the
>thermostat opens because the gauge increases and then drops a little. I'm
>stuck for ideas and sick of being cold! Any suggestions?
>
>I should also mention that during the summer months the temperature gauge
>did increase to the normal area which is where I'd like to see it now.
>
>Thanks.

You can try a *trick*
Remember, this advice is coming from a genius, so it isn't to be
questioned.

Find your radiator and measure it with a tape measure. Measure the
size of the cooling fins, i.e. X inches by Y inches.

Go in the house and find a nice cardboard box of the right size and
cut out a piece that is 1/3rd the size of X inches by Y inches

Take this out to your car and place it in between the radiator cooling
fins and the front grill.

Lg

Old January 27th 05, 02:34 AM
Danny Madden

I'm one step ahead of you. I installed a grill cover on the front (covered
the entire grill from headlight to headlight, top to bottom) last week for 3
days and it never changed a thing. I figured that would of helped? I
removed it again in disgust!

I should have mentioned that in my original post.

Try again.

Old January 27th 05, 02:47 AM
Lawrence Glickman

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 23:04:32 -0330, "Danny Madden"
> wrote:

>I'm one step ahead of you. I installed a grill cover on the front (covered
>the entire grill from headlight to headlight, top to bottom) last week for 3
>days and it never changed a thing. I figured that would of helped? I
>removed it again in disgust!
>
>I should have mentioned that in my original post.
>
>Try again.

Your thermostat is sticking Open.
Replace it.

Lg

.. .

Old January 27th 05, 03:02 AM
Lawrence Glickman

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 23:04:32 -0330, "Danny Madden"
> wrote:

>I'm one step ahead of you. I installed a grill cover on the front (covered
>the entire grill from headlight to headlight, top to bottom) last week for 3
>days and it never changed a thing. I figured that would of helped? I
>removed it again in disgust!
>
>I should have mentioned that in my original post.
>
>Try again.

Your thermostat is sticking Open.
Replace it.

AND
and

Check your coolant level to be sure you're Full.
Low coolant can cause loss of heat.

Lg

Lg

Old January 27th 05, 03:40 AM
Billy Bad Assr©

"Danny Madden" > wrote in message
> I have a 1993 Suzuki Sidekick. It is now winter with cold temperatures (not
> real cold...down to -10 degree celcius) and now the vehicle will not heat up
> enough to be comfortable in the cab. I replaced the thermostat with a new
> 'winter rated' thermostat (180-192 degree) but the air from the heater is
> still not warm enough. There is a temperature gauge in the dash which shows
> the temperature increasing but only just above the 'C' mark (which makes
> sense seeing the are is only slightly warm). You can actually see when the
> thermostat opens because the gauge increases and then drops a little. I'm
> stuck for ideas and sick of being cold! Any suggestions?

LOL -- Awhile back I did a tour in Keflavik, Iceland. I had taken notice that
most of the civilian vehicles were equipped with a gas/electric fan type
heater -- I had always wondered.and NOW I just figured out as to the reason
WHY!! <Grin>

BBA

Old January 27th 05, 02:40 PM
William R. Watt

The hose at the bottom of the rad should remain cool until the thermostat
opens. If the thermostat is stuck open the lower hose would warm up right
away.

How far do you drive? It takes some time for the engine on my small car to
warm up on a cold day.

Do you have your heating system closed? There should be a slide on the
dash for opening up the gate to let in outside air. That should be closed.

Do you have the feed set to defrost? That will direct all the heat onto
the back of the windshield and into your face. It may not be warmer but
you can feel the warmth better on your face than on your boots.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm