Resonator blew . . . Computer reset?

Old December 4th 05, 03:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Default Resonator blew . . . Computer reset?

Yesterday the Resonator on my '92 blew out (I'll just remove it later
today) but after I heard it let go the motor seemed to falter for a few
moments before everything became normal again. Could this be the
computer resetting from a difference in back pressure?

Also, my rear differential Pinion seal is leaking. If I change it
myself I'm a bit worried about getting the pre-load on the crush washer
right. Has anyone had Ford (or other garage) do this work this year
(2005?) I'm interested in what price estimate you received or what you
actually paid.

NickD

Old December 5th 05, 04:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

On 4 Dec 2005 07:25:52 -0800, "NickD" > wrote:

>Yesterday the Resonator on my '92 blew out (I'll just remove it later
>today) but after I heard it let go the motor seemed to falter for a few
>moments before everything became normal again. Could this be the
>computer resetting from a difference in back pressure?

Possibly, it could also be then when it blew it momentarily created a
blockage causing high back pressure and reduced engine power, then the
back pressure blew the clog out.

>Also, my rear differential Pinion seal is leaking. If I change it
>myself I'm a bit worried about getting the pre-load on the crush washer
>right. Has anyone had Ford (or other garage) do this work this year
>(2005?) I'm interested in what price estimate you received or what you
>actually paid.

Mine developed a leak a couple years ago, which I noticed when I was
under the vehicle looking at something else. There was what seemed
like a lot of grease flung off onto the underside of the vehicle. I
called Ford Dealer and they wanted something like $250 to replace the
seal. The local garage wanted a little less then half that. I
checked the fluid level and it was OK and I didn't really trust the
local garage to do the crush collar thing properly, and didn't want to
pay Fords Price so I just watched it for a few months and it stopped
leaking without doing anything so I never did have it fixed. Like
you, I was a bit worried that if I did it myself I'd get the preload
screwed up. So for two years that sleeping dog has been allowed to
lay there.
Old December 8th 05, 05:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Just an update on my orignial post for those in the same boat . . .

I had the Resonator removed and replaced with a plain pipe that is
welded in place. I had it done at a local Mom & Pop muffler shop. Total
cost, $40.00.

The leaking rear differential pinion seal I took to a Ford dealer and
the estimate to replace it was $225.00. I said go ahead but asked to
have a word with the mechanic first. When I started talking to the
mechanic about the torque being just right and all that, he said,
"Don't worry, Nick, I've done hundreds of these." I thanked him and
also slipped him a twenty dollar bill.

It took about an hour and a quarter and the bill in total was $178.00

These prices are for Southern California.

NickD