Info needed on ANSA or BOSAL replacement mufflers for 92 Jetta GL?

Old January 21st 05, 09:14 AM
USENET READER

Default Info needed on ANSA or BOSAL replacement mufflers for 92 Jetta GL?

Greetings!

The center and rear mufflers on a 92 mexican Jetta GL have rusted out.
They are not OE - they were installed on the car at 169 K miles back in
10/2000 by Midas in PA. I bought the car in 2001 and took it to NC, and
the next year I took the car in for a sniffer test, the mufflers were
leaking. Each and every year since then, the mufflers and pipes have
leaked and have had to be sealed up wth a combination of high-temp epoxy
putty and aluminum tape. Well I give up - there just isn't enough metal
to hold together, so I want to replace the center and rear mufflers.

My local VW supplier - T-Hoff in Raleigh, NC, suggests either ANSA or
BOSAL replacement mufflers. I can get them at T-Hoff for about $200
plus tax. I can of course return the parts from T-Hoff

I can also get them on line from places like www.alloemcarparts.com,
www.vw-auto-parts-wholesale.com, www.speedyperformanceparts.com,
catalog.vw-auto-parts-wholesale.com, oem.thepartsbin.com,
replacement.autopartswarehouse.com, etc. In fact - all these places use
the same SKEW number and prices for the parts.

At all the places, the two ANSA parts are about $10 cheaper than the
BOSAL parts. They all offer free shipping over $50. They all have
different 800 numbers to call - but seem to have parts warehouses in NJ.

So can anyone tell me what experiences they have had with any of those
suppliers or with those two brands of mufflers?

Reply to the group please
Old January 24th 05, 02:45 AM
D'Elbow

Greetings back atchya, T-Hoff customer. I'm still driving my '85 GLI
with a Techtonics aftermarket exhaust. It's still hanging in there.
'twas never meant to be a show piece, merely functional. Check 'em out
at:

www.tttuning.com

Bruce Fraser
'85 GLI