#3 retard on Distributor cam

Old November 26th 04, 05:10 PM
Chris Perdue

>From: Shaggie

>I'm just glad we got that whole hood emblem thing settled. :-D

i held out on that because it was funny...<G>...and you know it was....LOL
-------------------
Chris Perdue
"I'm ever so thankful for the Internet; it has allowed me to keep a finger in
the pie and to make some small contribution to those younger who will carry the
air-cooled legend forward"
Jim Mais
Feb. 2004
Old November 30th 04, 03:14 AM
John Willis

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 09:55:17 -0400, "Peter"
> scribbled this interesting note:

>Anyone have any good information on this? I would like some input on why it
>was necessary, what engines it was used on and over what period of time.
>Thanks.

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...aol.com&rnum=4
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=3+...aol.com&rnum=2

What is not to understand? Physics is physics. Air at a given
temperature and pressure can only absorb so much heat and disperse it
at a given rate. Air that has cooled the oil has less ability to then
cool the number three cylinder. This isn't just vomiting up something
that has become "common wisdom" since true wisdom is usually not
common at all (how else would one explain the state of the world
today?) Did you take high school physics?

As to the time period and what engines, do the research for the
information and post it for all to benefit from. I've heard that VW
used quite a number of distributors on their cars over the years...the
number I see most often is over 125 different distributors, so it
seems you will have quite a task on your hands figuring out which
engines the #3 retard was originally used on!:~)

Just on ramva I'm certain a pretty good dissertation has been posted
about the need for that retard on those distributors. There are other
sources. Seek them out and read up on the subject. There are quite a
number of acvw lists and data bases on the Internet these days and
lots of posts have been made on them for quite a number of years and
somewhere out there you will find what you seek, but only if you
figure out how to ask your questions to more accurately obtain good
answers...

BTW, most short questions have very long answers. Most long questions
have relatively short answers...at least in my experience!

I'm really trying to help. The research for my first response took
less than two minutes and the second took less than that. I feel sure
that with a properly phrased search parameter in the right data base
that you'll find exactly what you're looking for.

--
John Willis
(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)
Old November 30th 04, 09:49 AM
Bob Hoover

John Willis > wrote in message >. ..

> As to the time period and what engines, do the research for the
> information and post it for all to benefit from.

Doesn't do any good, of course. Providing valid information. Rather
than adding to mankind's sum store of knowledge, the lack of any form
of Turing Testing -- the ability for the newbies to tell good info
from bad -- has turned the internet into a celebration of mediocrity.

-Bob Hoover
Old November 30th 04, 05:23 PM
Peter

"Bob Hoover" > wrote in message
om...
> John Willis > wrote in message

>. ..
>
> The date, chassis & serial number of when they started using the
> retarded distributor -- and when they stopped -- is in the Factory
> Service Manuals for each vehicle Type. I cited chapter & verse for
> the Type II when I was subscribed to that mailing list.

I have been looking for that one but, as yet, I cannot find it. It would be
of great assitance to me if you are able to resubmit the specific data, or
if someone can point me more directly to your original posting. So far I
have only seen you make mention of the end date being 1971 with a "(?)" to
follow. I will keep searching, anyhow.

Old December 1st 04, 03:06 AM
Bob Hoover

"Peter" > wrote in message >...

> I have been looking for that one but, as yet, I cannot find it.

'Workshop Manual for Volkswagen Transporter, 1963-1967'
ISBN 0-8376-0391-9
Section E-9, page 12
'Service Note: From 3rd August 1964, Chassis No. 115 000 001, Engine
No. 8 788 071, all VW engines are fitted with modified distributors.
The breaker cam lobe which controls the firing point of No. 3 cylinder
is offset 2 distributor-shaft degrees in the retarded direction.'

Various other associated Notes, Warnings and Illustrations, bleeding
over to page 12a, the obverse of which is blank, indicating 12a is a
suppliment, inserted after normal pagenation of the manual.

(To find out when they STOPPED using the retard, you need to look in a
Factory Service Manual covering the 1971 model year.)

The real question is, Who gives a ****? You're talking about
something that happend more than half a century ago.

If you have a VW engine of 1200cc displacement or more AND you are
using the original upright oil cooler THEN you should be using a
distributor which retards the #3 cyl. firing point.

If you are using an engine fitted with a dog-house type oil cooler
then it doesn't matter what type of distributor you are running,
although one WITHOUT the retard will improve the engine's efficiency.

If you have a distributor of unknown provenance and wish to determine
if its #3 lobe is retarded, you can develop that information by
inspection, either with a distributor diagnostic machine or by
installing the distributor on an engine fitted with a degree wheel and
observing the firing point OF EACH CYLINDER using a stroboscopic
timing light.

Normal service life of the VW distributor is 50k to 70k miles and is
determined by end-float. That means even the youngest of the retarded
distributors was worn-out by about 1985.

-Bob Hoover
Old December 1st 04, 12:52 PM
Peter

"Bob Hoover" > wrote in message
om...

> 'Workshop Manual for Volkswagen Transporter, 1963-1967'
> ISBN 0-8376-0391-9
> Section E-9, page 12
> 'Service Note: From 3rd August 1964, Chassis No. 115 000 001, Engine
> No. 8 788 071, all VW engines are fitted with modified distributors.
> The breaker cam lobe which controls the firing point of No. 3 cylinder
> is offset 2 distributor-shaft degrees in the retarded direction.'
>
> Various other associated Notes, Warnings and Illustrations, bleeding
> over to page 12a, the obverse of which is blank, indicating 12a is a
> suppliment, inserted after normal pagenation of the manual.
>
> (To find out when they STOPPED using the retard, you need to look in a
> Factory Service Manual covering the 1971 model year.)

Thank you for the info and verification.

Now, if any one has a manual (since I don't) that specifies the end date
etc, that would be wonderful. Another piece of info that would help is,
precisely which Type 3 engines received this treatment?

> The real question is, Who gives a ****?

Someone has already accused me of waffling on this thread, so I better not
get into that one just now. Thanks.

Old December 14th 04, 03:12 PM
Karl

"Peter" > wrote in message ...

> Now, if any one has a manual (since I don't) that specifies the end date
> etc, that would be wonderful. Another piece of info that would help is,
> precisely which Type 3 engines received this treatment?

I think you are ****ing everyone off because you are 'researching' this info with NO
resources except this newsgroup and you want everyone else to FIND it for YOU.

I think Bob is trying to tell you to LOOK for it and READ books YOURSELF.
Not sure where you live [prison maybe?] but there is a public library just about in every town.

Old December 17th 04, 10:56 AM
Peter

"Karl" > wrote in message
om...

> I think you are ****ing everyone off because you are 'researching' this

info with NO
> resources except this newsgroup and you want everyone else to FIND it for

YOU.

> I think Bob is trying to tell you to LOOK for it and READ books YOURSELF.
> Not sure where you live [prison maybe?] but there is a public library just

about in every town.

You'd be very wrong in your assumption. A great deal of background research
has been done by myself, and others who would like to know the full answers
to these questions. I thought the idea of these forums was to spread the
info around, not keep it ourselves. Part of the research is to ask those,
who may have the knowledge, for information. Why would anyone get ****ed
off? Anyway, we have great libraries in here!