HEY ENVIRO-LEFTIES; How about a little challenge???

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 2nd 05, 06:12 PM
Spike

>Spike wrote:
>>
>> Of course they are important. I've never denied that. It still remains
>> to be seen whether or not the human impact is a great as natural
>> factors. And before scientists were predicting a greenhouse effect,
>> they were predicting a nuclear winter, and had all manner of
>> documentation to support what they claimed would happen.

>That's either disingenuous or ignorant. The "nuclear winter" scenarios
>were a prediction of what would happen after a full-scale nuclear war.
>They had nothing to do with global warming, CO2, or climate change.

This time it was my turn to "misspeak", for it was the global cooling/
ice age hypothesis. I admit the "nuclear" winter was related to war.

However, to again resort to insult is unbecoming. Simply pointing out
the error would have sufficed. You might consider that, while you
might not alter someone's viewpoint with discussion or debate, you
most certainly will never change it with insult, or inferring a sense
of superiority over the person you are attempting to persuade.
Nor is it good to lose your cool simply because another will not
accede to your being heavy handed in style.

Recall the saying that people listen harder to the quiet voice, and
shun the one who shouts. As a patrolman dealing with drunks who are
shouting at me, I learned that by whispering, the drunk very often
would quite down in an attempt to hear what I was saying. Once he (or
occasionally a "she") was quieted, the rest of the contact became one
of cooperation. Naturally, there were those who were not affected by
any degree of civility. Still, it never helped for me to get upset or
frustrated with either type over anything they said or did.

Would you yell at a child to get cooperation? It might work. But would
they mind out of respect or out of fear? As a parent, I've found it
easier to lead a child to agreement with what I would wish them to do,
rather then to force my will upon them. Even better that they should
think it their idea. Like the definition of tact and diplomacy. To
tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they think it their idea
and they enjoy the ride.

Granted there may be far more who see things as you do on a number of
subjects, than see things as I do. Yet, if you desire to convert
anyone, you might want to consider trying to understand their
position, why they hold it, and map a route to help them see your
position happens to be a more accurate one. Like teaching a child how
to change a tire on a car. Help the child understand why they should
do one task before doing another. For example; for safety. But do not
be surprised if the child continues to want to do it their own way.

These are simplistic examples to be sure. But I have found they have a
more positive response than throwing a lot of facts and figures at
someone and expecting them to "get it". It did little good to quote
passages from the vehicle code when a parent was driving around with a
child on his or her lap. But a calm transfer of information regarding
what might happen in the even of a sudden stop or accident generally
got the response of, 'I never thought of that...'.

Of course, there were those who got upset for even being stopped. You
can't win them all over to see things as you do, and there is no point
in getting frustrated or losing sleep over it. There is a point where
you must simply accept that the person you are attempting to convince
will not change their view. And when that has been realized, you quit
beating the dead horse, and hope to convince the next.

As an example; I tried to convince you of several points regarding the
Kerry situation. You negated those points. I did not continue to
attempt to alter your position. I had provided the benefit of my
experience and I could see there was no point in further discussion as
your mind was clearly set an not open to any other possibility. I
would have been pleased if you had at least considered the
possibilities I presented, just as I have considered what has been
said regarding global warming, wherein you have made some interesting
points for me to investigate. I have not rejected your points. I have
simply raised questions that a reasonable person might ask (i.e. the
testing of the waters for acidity, or why a majority of scientists
supported global cooling and now support global warming based upon the
same causation).

That said... it's now time for me to drive my beatermobile, smoking
all the way, to the store to purchase some steaks and charcoal for
this afternoon. : ) I hope your day turns out as well as mine.

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 02:46:13 GMT, rw >
wrote:

Spike
Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior; Vintage 40
16" rims w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A gForce Radial
225/50ZR16 KDWS skins; surround sound audio-video.

"When the time comes to lay down my life for my country,
I do not cower from this responsibility. I welcome it."
-JFK Inaugural Speech