Toploader 4 speed question

Old January 3rd 05, 05:45 PM
Mark

Default Toploader 4 speed question

I'm entertaining the idea of installing a toploader in the '70 fastback
project I purchased recently. The engine's going to be a mild 460. I'm
looking for a big block toploader with the 1 3/8th input shaft. The problem
is I want a wide ratio transmission and the big block transmissions are all
close ratio. A web site mentioned an adapter for this conversion to the big
input shaft but I have been unable to find it with google.
http://www.5speeds.com/toploader.html "The 1 3/8 inch input was only made
for the 2.32 close ratio but today you can purchase modular style inputs
that allow for ratios in wide or close configuration."
Does anyone know what they're referring to? Also I'm looking for a rebuilt
unit. Do you guys know of a reputable company that sells rebuilt toploaders
? TIA

Old January 3rd 05, 06:07 PM
Grover C. McCoury III

Mark wrote:
> I'm entertaining the idea of installing a toploader in the '70 fastback
> project I purchased recently. The engine's going to be a mild 460. I'm
> looking for a big block toploader with the 1 3/8th input shaft. The problem
> is I want a wide ratio transmission and the big block transmissions are all
> close ratio. A web site mentioned an adapter for this conversion to the big
> input shaft but I have been unable to find it with google.
> http://www.5speeds.com/toploader.html "The 1 3/8 inch input was only made
> for the 2.32 close ratio but today you can purchase modular style inputs
> that allow for ratios in wide or close configuration."
> Does anyone know what they're referring to? Also I'm looking for a rebuilt
> unit. Do you guys know of a reputable company that sells rebuilt toploaders

FYI: Some good information on Toploaders @

http://www.4speedtoploaders.com
http://www.cobracountry.com/southern
http://www.gearzone.net/toploader.html
http://www.toploadertransmissions.com
http://www.toploaderheaven.com
http://www.classictiger.com/techtips...dr/topldr.html

Yet another $.02 worth from a proud owner of a 1970 Mach 1 351C with a
close ratio Toploader @
http://community.webshots.com/album/18644819fHAehGJAjt
Old January 3rd 05, 08:46 PM
Dennis Harrelson

Why would you want a wide ratio with a 460? You should make gobs of torque
to make use of the close ratio. That's why they weren't offered with small
blocks.

Later,

Old January 4th 05, 05:25 AM
Kathy and Erich Coiner

Dan Williams Toploaders sells a multipiece input shaft. You can mix and
match the input shaft and gear with that. I have also heard that the
modular input should be avoided because it is not as strong as the one piece
stockers.
David Kee sells rebuilt toploaders. I just bought parts from him to redo
the box in my Tiger.
He was helpful and quick about shipping the parts out.
For the price you will pay for a bigblock toploader, consider a Richmond 5
speed.
They are still a one to one top gear but first is nice and low. You run a
nice econo rear end like 3.00:1 and you get good cruising ability AND good
launching.
A friend is using this setup behind a healthy 427 in a Cobra kitcar.

Erich

Old January 4th 05, 06:00 AM
Mark

The reason for a wide ratio is so I can run a higher (3.00:1) rear gear and
still get good acceleration with the lower first, second, and third gears.