seller's ignorance

Old August 29th 06, 10:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

Default seller's ignorance

When selling my '93 Honda Accord is it to both parties advantage to go
to the DMV together to transfer title and finalize the deal
(California)? Someone wanted to buy the car off me last night after
driving it around the block. He had the money but I didn't feel
comfortable with his haste. I have a feeling something may happen to
the car before he gets around to going to the DMV and it may be my
problem. Should I insist on going to the DMV together?

Old August 29th 06, 05:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Mike Iglesias[_1_]

In article .com>,
ACAR > wrote:
wrote:
>> When selling my '93 Honda Accord ...

>Whenever I've sold a car to a private party:
>1. take money
>2. *take your plates off the car*
>3. sign over title
>4. wave bye-bye
>5. call your insurance company and remove car from policy
>6. notify DMV, turn in plates and get refund for remaining value of
>registration
>The buyer should come with temporary tags in order to drive away.
>Alternatively, if you are a nice guy, you and a buddy can drop the car
>off in the buyer's driveway, do the transaction and get a lift home in
>your buddy's car. You are not responsible for waiting at the DMV for
>the buyer to get new plates. In some states you are responsible for
>selling an inspected car.

It doesn't work that way in California (which the original poster mentioned).
The plates stay with the car unless you have personalized plates.

There's a form you and the buyer fill out when you sell the car. See
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/reg/nrl.htm. This form tells the DMV
that you have sold the car, when you sold it, who you sold it to, etc.

--
Mike Iglesias Email:
University of California, Irvine phone: 949-824-6926
Old August 29th 06, 11:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Larry[_4_]

Being a Calif resident, where the plates stay with the car, there are
several things to do.
1) Get the car smogged before you sell it. The buyer can and will hold you
hostage for the repairs, as you are responsible for selling a car that can
pass smog to be re-registered. $40 is a small price to pay for piece of
mind. The results arfe submitted electronically to the DMV, so no need to
worry.
2) Complete the Release of Liability form that you can download off the DMV
website and fill it out completely. Doing this, you will not need to
accompany the buyer to the DMV to officially transfer the title. The form
gets you off the legal hook.....believe me..it works! Keep a copy though.
The signed pink is all the buyer needs. It does not need to be notarized.
The Release also states the purchase price, so the buyer can't falsify the
price he paid in order to reduce the sales tax that he pays with the
transfer fees.
3) Take the cash and say good-bye to your car.

oups.com...

Old August 30th 06, 03:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Art[_1_]

Most important.... don't take a certified or any other official check
unless you were at the bank seeing it drawn up. It could be a fake. I meet
the buyer at his bank. Have him get a check written or even consider check
because he can even stop payment on an official bank check. Get notary
stuff done at bank. Wave good bye.

oups.com...

Old August 30th 06, 03:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Earle Horton[_1_]

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" > wrote in message
> In article . net>,
> "Art" > wrote:
>
> > Most important.... don't take a certified or any other official
> > check unless you were at the bank seeing it drawn up.

> Don't even take it then.

I live in a small mountain town in Colorado, where I know all the year round
residents, and lots of stuff about them too. That is why I asked for cash
when I sold a car to one of my neighbors. I explained that I "have to have
cash, just because you come from Silverton". He didn't have a problem with
that.

A dealer will take a personal check, credit card, anything. The difference
between a dealer and you, is that the dealer has lawyers on retainer to go
after deadbeats.

Earle