Car won't start HELP!!!

Old March 28th 06, 12:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default Car won't start HELP!!!

After close to a year without my bug, it's been in the garage. I put in a
new pan,front end,disc brakes,tranaxle all seals,new mastercylinder . In
other words I rebuilt my car. It is a 67 pan with a chopped 66 body and a
1776cc motor.

Well I even repainted it myself too. Today was to be the day. I was so
excited ! I was finally going to start her up again.
put the battery on the charger yesterday and charged it up. Today, I put in
the battery and 3 gallons of gas.
Pushed her out onto the drive and got a fire extinguisher ...just in case!

Put in the key,turned it and NOTHING! no click, no whir of the fuel pump, no
lights ,nothing! Pulled out the battery and took it around the corner to my
local mechanic. They tested it and said it was fine just needed a charge!. I
put it back on my charger and left it for an hour or so. Machine says it is
at full charge. Still no joy. Crawled under and checked all the connections
on the starter, and all fuses. I rewired /hooked everything up just as it
was before the pan swap.

I hope you guys might be able to give me some advice.

Thanks! Mike West

Old March 28th 06, 12:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Mike West wrote:

> After close to a year without my bug, it's been in the garage. I put in a
> new pan,front end,disc brakes,tranaxle all seals,new mastercylinder . In
> other words I rebuilt my car. It is a 67 pan with a chopped 66 body and a
> 1776cc motor.
>
> Well I even repainted it myself too. Today was to be the day. I was so
> excited ! I was finally going to start her up again.
> put the battery on the charger yesterday and charged it up. Today, I put in
> the battery and 3 gallons of gas.
> Pushed her out onto the drive and got a fire extinguisher ...just in case!
>
> Put in the key,turned it and NOTHING! no click, no whir of the fuel pump, no
> lights ,nothing! Pulled out the battery and took it around the corner to my
> local mechanic. They tested it and said it was fine just needed a charge!. I
> put it back on my charger and left it for an hour or so. Machine says it is
> at full charge. Still no joy. Crawled under and checked all the connections
> on the starter, and all fuses. I rewired /hooked everything up just as it
> was before the pan swap.
>
> I hope you guys might be able to give me some advice.
>

> Thanks! Mike West

Should have done *something*, but did you replace the ground strap
on the tranny?

Here's a quickie test for just the battery and cables:
Jumper the starter as shown he
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/schem/starter4.gif

(Where glasses and be sure shift is in NEUTRAL!)

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/
Old March 28th 06, 01:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

I believe I did. I'll double check that too. I did remove the battery ground
and make sure it was getting a good contact.

Thanks Mike

Old March 28th 06, 02:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

In article >,
"Mike West" > wrote:

> After close to a year without my bug, it's been in the garage. I put in a
> new pan,front end,disc brakes,tranaxle all seals,new mastercylinder . In
> other words I rebuilt my car. It is a 67 pan with a chopped 66 body and a
> 1776cc motor.
>
> Well I even repainted it myself too. Today was to be the day. I was so
> excited ! I was finally going to start her up again.
> put the battery on the charger yesterday and charged it up. Today, I put in
> the battery and 3 gallons of gas.
> Pushed her out onto the drive and got a fire extinguisher ...just in case!
>
> Put in the key,turned it and NOTHING! no click, no whir of the fuel pump, no
> lights ,nothing! Pulled out the battery and took it around the corner to my
> local mechanic. They tested it and said it was fine just needed a charge!. I
> put it back on my charger and left it for an hour or so. Machine says it is
> at full charge. Still no joy. Crawled under and checked all the connections
> on the starter, and all fuses. I rewired /hooked everything up just as it
> was before the pan swap.
>
> I hope you guys might be able to give me some advice.
>

> Thanks! Mike West

so many times it's the solenoid. I put another solenoid in line to fire
the one on the starter.
to test. jump connection on the starter, if it turns the motor over. You
have a high resistance. when you hint the starter mode. the idiot
lights might just dim a little bit.
good luck.

--
I'm unfettered,unbound,triumphant,glorious& splendid
Old March 28th 06, 01:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

If it is the solenoid as you guys think it might be. wouldn't I still get
the dash light on and the electric fuel pump on? Nothing happens. It seems
to be the battery as I have no lights or wipers either.

Thanks, Mike

Old March 28th 06, 06:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

welp heres my advice from a newbie.

first off does your charger have a "start" setting? if so hook it up to
the battery just like jump starting the car and try.

if your lights aren't coming on and you have your battery connected.
there is definatly a problem. time to grab your meter
see if power is getting to the fuse box, also check if your getting
power at the coil.

if your getting power at the coil try putting in a hot start relay.

Old March 28th 06, 06:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Yuo should also check your ground cable from the battery at the point that
it is bolted into the body. Just unbolt it and sandpaper the cable and the
body then bolt it back. Grounds on a VW seem to cause the most problems with
the electric system.

oups.com...

Old March 28th 06, 09:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

"Mike West" > schreef in bericht
> After close to a year without my bug, it's been in the garage. I put in a
> new pan,front end,disc brakes,tranaxle all seals,new mastercylinder . In
> other words I rebuilt my car. It is a 67 pan with a chopped 66 body and a
> 1776cc motor.
>
> Well I even repainted it myself too. Today was to be the day. I was so
> excited ! I was finally going to start her up again.
> put the battery on the charger yesterday and charged it up. Today, I put
> in
> the battery and 3 gallons of gas.
> Pushed her out onto the drive and got a fire extinguisher ...just in case!
>
> Put in the key,turned it and NOTHING! no click, no whir of the fuel pump,
> no
> lights ,nothing! Pulled out the battery and took it around the corner to
> my
> local mechanic. They tested it and said it was fine just needed a charge!.
> put it back on my charger and left it for an hour or so. Machine says it
> is
> at full charge. Still no joy. Crawled under and checked all the
> connections
> on the starter, and all fuses. I rewired /hooked everything up just as it
> was before the pan swap.
>
> I hope you guys might be able to give me some advice.
>

> Thanks! Mike West

Would it help to hook up an other battery (from your daily driver?) and try
to start it again? Then you're sure it's (not) this battery.

jmho
Roger

Old March 29th 06, 12:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> welp heres my advice from a newbie.
>

> if your getting power at the coil try putting in a hot start relay.

maybe you should suggest he fill rust holes with bubblegum and bondo
too...maybe fix a flat tire with a screw and rubber washer? fix a chip in
the paint with nail polish? those are all akin to the advice you gave above.

Old March 29th 06, 05:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

"Mike West" > wrote in
:

> If it is the solenoid as you guys think it might be. wouldn't I still
> get the dash light on and the electric fuel pump on? Nothing happens.
> It seems to be the battery as I have no lights or wipers either.
>
> Thanks, Mike

When you took the battery around the corner... did they check it under load
or did they simply check voltage? One more question - did you leave the
battery on a cement floor while working on the car? If so, the battery is
shot. It will show full voltage, but will have no capacity to do much of
anything. Someone suggested trying another battery. I second that motion -
before you do a bunch of things that may not be necessary.

--
-BaH
Dave Pearson

2001 won't start [email protected] Ford Mustang 3 March 11th 06 11:04 PM
Sonoma won't start Bill Technology 3 March 30th 05 03:45 PM
156 start problems ?! Canonian Alfa Romeo 15 December 8th 04 08:57 AM
periodically won't start missjoan Saturn 4 November 1st 04 05:48 PM