A few questions about EXHAUST related symptoms...???

Old March 29th 06, 09:12 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default A few questions about EXHAUST related symptoms...???

I just recently began driving a rather old and beat-up ice cream truck
and lately I have been having some headaches. This truck, which is due
for inspection in a few months and uses gasoline as fuel doesn't run
too well.

Here are a few questions.....

Can you be adversely affected by fumes in a vehicle that has it's
windows open and numerous holes throughout the body of the truck? I
always keep the windows open and the truck is far from airtight.

Thanks

LT

Old March 29th 06, 10:42 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Thanks for the very informative link. That information is a little bit
technical for me... but still interesting.

Doesn't the fact that I keep all the windows open and the fact that the
vehicle has quite a few holes throughout the body help to minimize some
of these exhaust effects?

Thank You

LT (I)

Old March 29th 06, 01:24 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

> wrote in message
> Here are a few questions.....
>
> Can you be adversely affected by fumes in a vehicle that has it's
> windows open and numerous holes throughout the body of the truck? I
> always keep the windows open and the truck is far from airtight.

Fumes of unburned gasoline are hazardous to your health. Yes, they can
adversely affect you. There are known cancer causing chemicals in gasoline
which is a longer term risk. Suffocation, collapse, death are the shorter
term
risks.

Exhaust fumes carry similar risks. If you have exhaust leaks that enter the
van, they could kill you. If your exhaust is intact and is not leaking and
your
catalytic converter is working properly, the fumes should not enter the
vehicle
to any great degree and some of the most dangerous components should have
been deactivated.

It is nothing to fool around with.

Old March 29th 06, 03:42 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Yes you can be affected.

It depends on the wind and your speed as to how much gets sucked into
the cab. Having two side windows open can sometimes create a vacuum in
the vehicle allowing fumes to be sucked in through floorboard holes.
Having the fan on high can help, but....

Folks with Jeeps and soft tops have to really watch that. One friend
was falling asleep all the time while driving. Turned out he was
running with the soft top windows out, but the front door windows closed
thinking with the whole back open, no fumes would come in. I drove with
him and recognized the forehead pressure and sleepiness as carbon
monoxide poisoning pretty fast. He didn't really believe me. He ended
up passing out on a straight dry road and rolling his Jeep into the
ditch. Luckily he wasn't hurt bad. He still doesn't know 'what
happened'.....

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old March 29th 06, 03:48 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

You are already having problems and you are asking us whether it's OK?
NO.
The headaches are your first sign. Every time you drive you are losing
brain cells. Even Einstein would run out eventually.
I'll have the double chocolate, please.

Old March 30th 06, 09:17 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

On 29 Mar 2006 06:48:14 -0800, "Al Bundy" >
wrote:

>The headaches are your first sign. Every time you drive you are losing
>brain cells. Even Einstein would run out eventually.
>I'll have the double chocolate, please.

Car bun.
Moan.
Ox hide.

--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info
Old March 30th 06, 05:06 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Thanks for all of the replies. Now .... I am just assuming that
because this truck was old and beat up that somehow fumes have been
getting into the truck and causing my symptoms however the last couple
of days... I am feeling much better. The headaches have subsided and
I certainly don't have any of the drowsiness that one person mentioned.

I guess I'll just have to have him get the truck checked out. BTW...
are there any inexpensive CARBON MONO meters or alarms that could be
put in to check on this?

Thanks again guys

LEESA (I)

Old March 30th 06, 09:58 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

You can just let it idle for a little while then make sure it is in park
and block the wheels and climb under and do a visual on the exhaust
system. Look for smoke and black streaks. Just because the truck is
old doesn't mean much, it's how good the exhaust is that counts. Both
of my old Jeeps, one with 315K on it, have all new brakes and exhaust.
Also make sure the tail pipe exits out 'behind' the back wheel and out
past the body shell. Some folks get cheap and stick the exhaust out in
front of the rear wheel. This 'will' cause exhaust inside because the
stuff vortexes in the wheel well.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's