Midengine - reversing the tranny

Old January 15th 05, 08:48 PM
jjs

Default Midengine - reversing the tranny

Does it weaken the tranny to convert it to work with a midengine?

Old January 15th 05, 10:05 PM
dave AKA vwdoc1

The Porsche 914 (especially the 914-6) trans is not that weak AFAIK. ;-)

Old January 15th 05, 11:58 PM
jjs

"dave AKA vwdoc1" > wrote in message
m...
> The Porsche 914 (especially the 914-6) trans is not that weak AFAIK. ;-)

Good point, but I am hoping to use an ACVW tranny I already have.

Old January 16th 05, 12:00 PM
Jan Andersson

jjs wrote:

> Does it weaken the tranny to convert it to work with a midengine?

The tranny still operates the normal way. Only the rear differential
parts are flipped over, and they too would continue to turn the same
direction as before tooth for tooth....... so my answer would be no.

Jan
Old January 16th 05, 10:13 PM
cloud8

"jjs" > wrote in :

> Good point, but I am hoping to use an ACVW tranny I already have.

The shift linkage is going to be interesting. How you gonna do that?

--
Bill Merrill
Arlington, Mass.
Old January 16th 05, 10:35 PM
jjs

"cloud8" > wrote in message
. ..

> The shift linkage is going to be interesting. How you gonna do that?

Hey, I lived in England before coming here. I can cope with anything!

Old January 16th 05, 10:49 PM
John Cassara

The shift is easy. There are linkages made for mid engine sand rails. Just
got strap one one!

Old January 17th 05, 03:11 AM
Shag

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 16:49:21 -0500, "John Cassara"
> wrote:

>The shift is easy. There are linkages made for mid engine sand rails. Just
>got strap one one!

I'm guessing you mean "strap one on." I was gonna joke around about
JJs being "this close" to going the baja route, but I'm having trouble
persuing that line of thought now after someone told him to "strap one
on." *cough*

---

"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubblegum."
-"Rowdy" Roddy Piper, They Live!
Old January 17th 05, 04:55 AM
ilambert

Flip Flopping the Ring gear has been done on Formula Vee racers for eones
and I've never heard of dire consequences even when we ran them on
ATF.Likewise the shift linkages.
. ..

Old January 17th 05, 05:07 AM
jjs

"ilambert" > wrote in message
> Flip Flopping the Ring gear has been done on Formula Vee racers for eones
> and I've never heard of dire consequences even when we ran them on

The V racers I know have wimpy little engines. Not much of a challenge to
the tranny. Or is there a class that uses something other than the tiny old
engines?

Tranny Trouble codes jonnymcfly Saturn 4 July 7th 04 01:41 AM
Tranny problems? Woman, help appreciated David J and Lynne J Shepherd 4x4 22 April 30th 04 01:37 AM