Air Bag Light - '93

Old June 13th 05, 10:03 PM
Joe

<snip>

the

after

with

directly

>>> Mike, you know it never occurred to me that the air bag light was
>>> actually displaying a code by blinking. Now I'll have to go check
>>> it out and see what it's telling me. And I will check the fuses

as
>>> well. Again, thanks very much.
>>>
>>> BTW, is there a web site or something that contains all the codes
>>> and what they mean?
>>>
>>> Joe
>>> Calypso Green '93 5.0 LX AOD hatch with a few goodies
>>> Black '03 Dakota 5.9 R/T CC

>> I just found this:
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/9doou
>>
>> If you're interested in a schematic:
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/ex3mt
>>
>> FYI. The D/M monitors battery voltage at pin 13 via fuse #7
>>
>> Time for some coffee...HTH
>>
>> --
>> Mike
>> 93 Cobra

Mike, it's throwing code 51 which is 'Diagnostic monitor internal
thermal fuse open'. Fuse # 7 is good, btw.

Here's the excerpt from one of the links you posted:
"If the AIR BAG readiness lamp is flashing a Fault Code 51 and a short
to ground has not been serviced, this means that an intermittent short
to ground exists in the air bag system. The diagnostic monitor will
eventually have to be replaced but only after a visual inspection
leads to the repair of a short to ground in the wiring harness."

At this point, my question is: After I find and fix the short to
ground, do I have to replace the diagnostic monitor? If so, where is

Old June 14th 05, 01:53 PM
Mike R

In article >, Joe
> wrote:

> <snip>

> the

> after

> with

> directly

> as

> >> I just found this:
> >>
> >> http://tinyurl.com/9doou
> >>
> >> If you're interested in a schematic:
> >>
> >> http://tinyurl.com/ex3mt
> >>
> >> FYI. The D/M monitors battery voltage at pin 13 via fuse #7
> >>
> >> Time for some coffee...HTH
> >>
> >> --
> >> Mike
> >> 93 Cobra

> Mike, it's throwing code 51 which is 'Diagnostic monitor internal
> thermal fuse open'. Fuse # 7 is good, btw.
>
> Here's the excerpt from one of the links you posted:
> "If the AIR BAG readiness lamp is flashing a Fault Code 51 and a short
> to ground has not been serviced, this means that an intermittent short
> to ground exists in the air bag system. The diagnostic monitor will
> eventually have to be replaced but only after a visual inspection
> leads to the repair of a short to ground in the wiring harness."
>
> At this point, my question is: After I find and fix the short to
> ground, do I have to replace the diagnostic monitor? If so, where is
> it?
>
> Joe
> Calypso Green '93 5.0 LX AOD hatch with a few goodies
> Black '03 Dakota 5.9 R/T CC

Yes, you have to find the short to ground before replacing the D/M,
otherwise you risk the chance of destroying the replacement. Code 51 is
actually indicating the internal fuse is blown and the short to ground is
not present. If the intermittent short returns, the D/M will flash a code
13. The sequence of events for code 51 is something like this:

Short to ground-->D/M flashes code 13 and sends signal blowing internal fuse
preventing unwanted air bag deployment-->D/M continues flashing code 13
while short is present-->short temporarily clears-->D/M now flashes code
51-->short to ground returns-->D/M flashes code 13 and so on....

Looks like you might want to continue inspecting the three crash sensors
and associated wiring in the engine compartment. Sounds like there may be
an intermittent pinched wire against body sheetmetal somewhere. Also keep
monitoring the indicator to see if code 13 surfaces. And lastly, the D/M
is located behind the lower center instrument panal...

--
Mike
93 Cobra
Old June 14th 05, 03:56 PM
Joe

(Mike R) wrote in
:

> In article >, Joe
> > wrote:
>
>> <snip>

>> the

>> after

>> with

>> directly

>> as

http://tinyurl.com/9doou

>> Mike, it's throwing code 51 which is 'Diagnostic monitor internal
>> thermal fuse open'. Fuse # 7 is good, btw.
>>
>> Here's the excerpt from one of the links you posted:
>> "If the AIR BAG readiness lamp is flashing a Fault Code 51 and a
>> short to ground has not been serviced, this means that an
>> intermittent short to ground exists in the air bag system. The
>> diagnostic monitor will eventually have to be replaced but only
>> after a visual inspection leads to the repair of a short to ground
>> in the wiring harness."
>>
>> At this point, my question is: After I find and fix the short to
>> ground, do I have to replace the diagnostic monitor? If so, where
>> is it?
>>
>> Joe
>> Calypso Green '93 5.0 LX AOD hatch with a few goodies
>> Black '03 Dakota 5.9 R/T CC

> Yes, you have to find the short to ground before replacing the D/M,
> otherwise you risk the chance of destroying the replacement. Code 51
> is actually indicating the internal fuse is blown and the short to
> ground is not present. If the intermittent short returns, the D/M
> will flash a code 13. The sequence of events for code 51 is
> something like this:
>
> Short to ground-->D/M flashes code 13 and sends signal blowing
> internal fuse preventing unwanted air bag deployment-->D/M continues
> flashing code 13 while short is present-->short temporarily
> clears-->D/M now flashes code 51-->short to ground returns-->D/M
> flashes code 13 and so on....
>
> Looks like you might want to continue inspecting the three crash
> sensors and associated wiring in the engine compartment. Sounds like
> there may be an intermittent pinched wire against body sheetmetal
> somewhere. Also keep monitoring the indicator to see if code 13
> surfaces. And lastly, the D/M is located behind the lower center
> instrument panal...
>
> --
> Mike
> 93 Cobra

Mike,

After reading the links and your post, I now see what's happening. I've
been keeping an eye on the air bag light, and it never reverts back to a
code 13 - it's always 51. I've gone in there and checked around all 3
crash sensors and everything seems fine. Haven't seen any exposed or
pinched wiring at all.

Because the intermittent short has never returned, I'm wondering if the
shop somehow shorted out the wiring during reassembly (IOW, the battery
was connected at some point during reassembly). Would that explain why
(a) the DM blew in the first place and (b) why it's not throwing code
13?

I've also heard that the DM could simply go bad without experiencing an
actual short. True? Theoretically, if the new replacement unit doesn't
see another intermittent short, it will be fine, correct?

Finally, is the DM down behind the radio near the console or up in where
the air ducts go? IOW, will I have to disassemble part of the dash to
get to it, or can I just remove the center console that houses the radio
and HVAC controls?

Thanks again for all your invaluable help!

Old June 14th 05, 05:41 PM
Mike R

In article >, Joe
> [...]

> > surfaces. And lastly, the D/M is located behind the lower center
> > instrument panal...
> >
> > --
> > Mike
> > 93 Cobra

> Mike,
>
> After reading the links and your post, I now see what's happening. I've
> been keeping an eye on the air bag light, and it never reverts back to a
> code 13 - it's always 51. I've gone in there and checked around all 3
> crash sensors and everything seems fine. Haven't seen any exposed or
> pinched wiring at all.
>
> Because the intermittent short has never returned, I'm wondering if the
> shop somehow shorted out the wiring during reassembly (IOW, the battery
> was connected at some point during reassembly). Would that explain why
> (a) the DM blew in the first place and (b) why it's not throwing code

Yes, but the question is whether the short to ground has cleared completely
and whether you risk blowing another DM replacement. You might want to call
the dealer parts department and get a cost figure.

> I've also heard that the DM could simply go bad without experiencing an
> actual short. True? Theoretically, if the new replacement unit doesn't
> see another intermittent short, it will be fine, correct?

From what I've read, yes and yes.

> Finally, is the DM down behind the radio near the console or up in where
> the air ducts go? IOW, will I have to disassemble part of the dash to
> get to it, or can I just remove the center console that houses the radio
> and HVAC controls?

Behind the radio (possibly lower). I'd try removing the glove compartment
box and look inside to the left for a rectangular box with two harness
connectors attached. Just to be on the safe side, PLEASE USE CAUTION and
disconnect the battery first. The back up power supply should be disarmed
with the internal fuse blown, but why take the chance. Disconnecting the
battery and waiting a few minutes should also discharge the back up.
Play it safe Joe. I'm only going by Helms, not from personal experience..

--
Mike
93 Cobra
Old June 14th 05, 05:42 PM
Joe

(Mike R) wrote in
:

> In article >, Joe
> > wrote:

(Mike R) wrote in
>> :
>>
>> > In article >, Joe

http://tinyurl.com/9doou

>> > Yes, you have to find the short to ground before replacing the
>> > D/M, otherwise you risk the chance of destroying the replacement.
>> > Code 51 is actually indicating the internal fuse is blown and the
>> > short to ground is not present. If the intermittent short
>> > returns, the D/M will flash a code 13. The sequence of events for
>> > code 51 is something like this:
>> >
>> > Short to ground-->D/M flashes code 13 and sends signal blowing
>> > internal fuse preventing unwanted air bag deployment-->D/M
>> > continues flashing code 13 while short is present-->short
>> > temporarily clears-->D/M now flashes code 51-->short to ground
>> > returns-->D/M flashes code 13 and so on....
>> >
>> > Looks like you might want to continue inspecting the three crash
>> > sensors and associated wiring in the engine compartment. Sounds
>> > like there may be an intermittent pinched wire against body
>> > sheetmetal somewhere. Also keep monitoring the indicator to see
>> > if code 13 surfaces. And lastly, the D/M is located behind the
>> > lower center instrument panal...
>> >
>> > --
>> > Mike
>> > 93 Cobra

>> Mike,
>>
>> After reading the links and your post, I now see what's happening.
>> I've been keeping an eye on the air bag light, and it never reverts
>> back to a code 13 - it's always 51. I've gone in there and checked
>> around all 3 crash sensors and everything seems fine. Haven't seen
>> any exposed or pinched wiring at all.
>>
>> Because the intermittent short has never returned, I'm wondering if
>> the shop somehow shorted out the wiring during reassembly (IOW, the
>> battery was connected at some point during reassembly). Would that
>> explain why (a) the DM blew in the first place and (b) why it's not
>> throwing code 13?

> Yes, but the question is whether the short to ground has cleared
> completely and whether you risk blowing another DM replacement. You
> might want to call the dealer parts department and get a cost
> figure.

Already did that today - it's $217 from the dealer.

>> I've also heard that the DM could simply go bad without
>> experiencing an actual short. True? Theoretically, if the new
>> replacement unit doesn't see another intermittent short, it will be
>> fine, correct?

> From what I've read, yes and yes.

So if I never see a code 13 after examining the wiring for shorts or
crimps, I'll assume that I can put a new DM in without problems.

>> Finally, is the DM down behind the radio near the console or up in
>> where the air ducts go? IOW, will I have to disassemble part of
>> the dash to get to it, or can I just remove the center console that
>> houses the radio and HVAC controls?

> Behind the radio (possibly lower). I'd try removing the glove
> compartment box and look inside to the left for a rectangular box
> with two harness connectors attached. Just to be on the safe side,
> PLEASE USE CAUTION and disconnect the battery first. The back up
> power supply should be disarmed with the internal fuse blown, but
> why take the chance. Disconnecting the battery and waiting a few
> minutes should also discharge the back up. Play it safe Joe. I'm
> only going by Helms, not from personal experience..
> --
> Mike
> 93 Cobra

Without a doubt. Before I do anything the battery will have been
disconnected for a few hours.

Mike, does Helms say anything about the size of the screws securing
the DM? I'll bet they're torx bits too...

Old June 14th 05, 06:59 PM
Mike R

In article >, Joe
> wrote:

> (Mike R) wrote in
> :
>
> > In article >, Joe
> > > wrote:

(Mike R) wrote in
> >> :

http://tinyurl.com/9doou

> >> Mike,
> >>
> >> After reading the links and your post, I now see what's happening.
> >> I've been keeping an eye on the air bag light, and it never reverts
> >> back to a code 13 - it's always 51. I've gone in there and checked
> >> around all 3 crash sensors and everything seems fine. Haven't seen
> >> any exposed or pinched wiring at all.
> >>
> >> Because the intermittent short has never returned, I'm wondering if
> >> the shop somehow shorted out the wiring during reassembly (IOW, the
> >> battery was connected at some point during reassembly). Would that
> >> explain why (a) the DM blew in the first place and (b) why it's not
> >> throwing code 13?

> > Yes, but the question is whether the short to ground has cleared
> > completely and whether you risk blowing another DM replacement. You
> > might want to call the dealer parts department and get a cost
> > figure.

> Already did that today - it's $217 from the dealer.

Wonder if a salvage yard would sell you one.

> >> I've also heard that the DM could simply go bad without
> >> experiencing an actual short. True? Theoretically, if the new
> >> replacement unit doesn't see another intermittent short, it will be
> >> fine, correct?

> > From what I've read, yes and yes.

> So if I never see a code 13 after examining the wiring for shorts or
> crimps, I'll assume that I can put a new DM in without problems.

If there's a $217.00 guarantee to never...

> >> Finally, is the DM down behind the radio near the console or up in
> >> where the air ducts go? IOW, will I have to disassemble part of
> >> the dash to get to it, or can I just remove the center console that
> >> houses the radio and HVAC controls?

> > Behind the radio (possibly lower). I'd try removing the glove
> > compartment box and look inside to the left for a rectangular box
> > with two harness connectors attached. Just to be on the safe side,
> > PLEASE USE CAUTION and disconnect the battery first. The back up
> > power supply should be disarmed with the internal fuse blown, but
> > why take the chance. Disconnecting the battery and waiting a few
> > minutes should also discharge the back up. Play it safe Joe. I'm
> > only going by Helms, not from personal experience..
> > --
> > Mike
> > 93 Cobra

> Without a doubt. Before I do anything the battery will have been
> disconnected for a few hours.
>
> Mike, does Helms say anything about the size of the screws securing
> the DM? I'll bet they're torx bits too...

Here's a better description on location and removal:

Diagnostic Monitor Removal

1) Disconnect positive battery cable.
2) Remove radio. Diagnostic module is the blue box w/two connectors
mounted below the climate control head.
3) Disconnect diagnostic monitor connectors.
4) Remove screws retaining diagnostic monitor and braket assy to
instrument panal brace and remove assy.

The screws look like hex heads. Possibly phillips hex. They say four
required, but I only see two locations in the drawing. Looks straight
forward as long as Murphy's not looking over your shoulder :-0

--
Mike
93 Cobra
Old June 14th 05, 08:00 PM
Joe

(Mike R) wrote in news:svt-cobra-
:

> In article >, Joe
> > wrote:

(Mike R) wrote in
>> :
>>
>> > In article >, Joe

(Mike R) wrote in

sensors

upper

Mike.

goodies

late???

The

idle

a/c

heard

No

crash

via

blown,

BTW,

flash

out.

I'll

And I

the

http://tinyurl.com/9doou

7

and a

The

only

replacement.

the

for

crash

Sounds

see

happening.

reverts

checked

seen

if

the

that

not

>> > Yes, but the question is whether the short to ground has cleared
>> > completely and whether you risk blowing another DM replacement.

You
>> > might want to call the dealer parts department and get a cost
>> > figure.

>> Already did that today - it's $217 from the dealer.

> Wonder if a salvage yard would sell you one.

I've already e-mailed Tim (Musttanguy).

be

>> > From what I've read, yes and yes.

>> So if I never see a code 13 after examining the wiring for shorts

or
>> crimps, I'll assume that I can put a new DM in without problems.

> If there's a $217.00 guarantee to never...

LOL! Well, if I don't see the code 13 again, I'm going for it.

in

that

>> > Behind the radio (possibly lower). I'd try removing the glove
>> > compartment box and look inside to the left for a rectangular box
>> > with two harness connectors attached. Just to be on the safe

side,
>> > PLEASE USE CAUTION and disconnect the battery first. The back up
>> > power supply should be disarmed with the internal fuse blown, but
>> > why take the chance. Disconnecting the battery and waiting a few
>> > minutes should also discharge the back up. Play it safe Joe. I'm
>> > only going by Helms, not from personal experience..
>> > --
>> > Mike
>> > 93 Cobra

>> Without a doubt. Before I do anything the battery will have been
>> disconnected for a few hours.
>>
>> Mike, does Helms say anything about the size of the screws securing
>> the DM? I'll bet they're torx bits too...

> Here's a better description on location and removal:
>
> Diagnostic Monitor Removal
>
> 1) Disconnect positive battery cable.
> 2) Remove radio. Diagnostic module is the blue box w/two connectors
> mounted below the climate control head.
> 3) Disconnect diagnostic monitor connectors.
> 4) Remove screws retaining diagnostic monitor and braket assy to
> instrument panal brace and remove assy.
>
> The screws look like hex heads. Possibly phillips hex. They say four
> required, but I only see two locations in the drawing. Looks

straight
> forward as long as Murphy's not looking over your shoulder :-0
>
> --
> Mike
> 93 Cobra

Cool. Thanks for the removal instructions. I'll let you know about
Murphy when I tackle the job.

Poorly setup stop light Paul Driving 7 May 19th 05 10:25 PM
1998 Audi A4 Oil Indictor Light ellenb999 Audi 2 April 21st 05 01:03 PM
2001 Civic EX check engine light [email protected] Honda 0 March 6th 05 07:35 AM
"Check AdvanceTrac" light comes on Larry Brown Ford Explorer 6 December 15th 04 04:43 PM
Check Engine Light and Fuel Mixture Mark Barrett Ford Explorer 2 November 11th 04 07:11 PM