Doin' my own body work.

Old May 24th 05, 09:04 PM
Miss Mac

Default Doin' my own body work.

Hello y'all, new to the board and I have a little question. I have a
73 vette and I need to put on a new front clip. How hard would it be
for lil ole me to take the current one off and put on a new one?
Thank you kindly.

Old May 25th 05, 05:34 AM
WayneC

Miss Mac wrote:
> Hello y'all, new to the board and I have a little question. I have a
> 73 vette and I need to put on a new front clip. How hard would it be
> for lil ole me to take the current one off and put on a new one?
> Thank you kindly.

I haven't done it, but I know it's a LOT of work, perhaps too difficult
a project for anyone who has to ask the question. You also may need to
remove the engine to gain working space.

Basically you need to have some way to align the new front end in all
three planes, front and rear, which means you probably need to take
measurements (before you disturb the existing front end) of the old
front end in relationship to the frame or other repeatable positioning
aids. It may be possible to align things by eye when the radiator
support is in it's proper position and bolted to the frame and clip,
assuming you really have a good eye and a lot of experience. You may
also need to fabricate some jigs to assist with front end
positioning/alignment. If your old front end is not in a condition to
measure, you may need to take the measurements with someone else's car.

The old front end is bonded to the body (unlike metal cars where the
front clip is bolted in position), so you have to separate the old front
end from the cowl and door frames and grind any residue of fiberglass
and bonding agent off the body to get down to the main body fiberglass.
Then you need to dress the bonding surfaces on the new front end and
properly position it in place using clamps, etc until you have it
exactly where it needs to be, grinding and smoothing all mating panels
until it's exactly in position and clamped so the outer surfaces are
aligned (may take multiple iterations to get things right); then mark
the panels to enable you to put them back in that exact position before
separating the front clip from the cowl again to coat the mating
surfaces with an appropriate bonding compound; now reposition the front
clip in it's prior exact position and re-clamp and/or screw it as
required to hold it tightly in position on the cowl until the bond
cures. Fill/grind any areas that need it, remove any clamping screws,
grind out the screw holes and fill the holes with fiberglass mixture.
Smooth all the joints down, fill & primer.

Here's a couple of sites that might be of assistance:
http://www.glas-ra.com/v3_4.html

http://www.glassmandan.com/tutorials/003.html
(guess Dan's got a good eye, because he doesn't mention any measurements)
Old May 25th 05, 09:04 PM
Miss Mac

Thank you for the reply. Ya, after reading the links you gave I see
I'll be paying someone a billion gazillion dollars to do it.

Old May 25th 05, 10:37 PM
Greg

that would be my guess. but it is cheaper to have some one do it right
the first time than it is to have some one redo it

Old May 26th 05, 04:11 AM
Marty

"WayneC" > wrote in message
> Miss Mac wrote:
>> Hello y'all, new to the board and I have a little question. I have a
>> 73 vette and I need to put on a new front clip. How hard would it be
>> for lil ole me to take the current one off and put on a new one? Thank
>> you kindly.
>>

> I haven't done it, but I know it's a LOT of work, perhaps too difficult a
> project for anyone who has to ask the question. You also may need to
> remove the engine to gain working space.
>
> Basically you need to have some way to align the new front end in all
> three planes, front and rear, which means you probably need to take
> measurements (before you disturb the existing front end) of the old front
> end in relationship to the frame or other repeatable positioning aids. It
> may be possible to align things by eye when the radiator support is in
> it's proper position and bolted to the frame and clip, assuming you really
> have a good eye and a lot of experience. You may also need to fabricate
> some jigs to assist with front end positioning/alignment. If your old
> front end is not in a condition to measure, you may need to take the
> measurements with someone else's car.
>
> The old front end is bonded to the body (unlike metal cars where the front
> clip is bolted in position), so you have to separate the old front end
> from the cowl and door frames and grind any residue of fiberglass and
> bonding agent off the body to get down to the main body fiberglass. Then
> you need to dress the bonding surfaces on the new front end and properly
> position it in place using clamps, etc until you have it exactly where it
> needs to be, grinding and smoothing all mating panels until it's exactly
> in position and clamped so the outer surfaces are aligned (may take
> multiple iterations to get things right); then mark the panels to enable
> you to put them back in that exact position before separating the front
> clip from the cowl again to coat the mating surfaces with an appropriate
> bonding compound; now reposition the front clip in it's prior exact
> position and re-clamp and/or screw it as required to hold it tightly in
> position on the cowl until the bond cures. Fill/grind any areas that need
> it, remove any clamping screws, grind out the screw holes and fill the
> holes with fiberglass mixture. Smooth all the joints down, fill & primer.
>
> Here's a couple of sites that might be of assistance:
> http://www.glas-ra.com/v3_4.html
>
> http://www.glassmandan.com/tutorials/003.html
> (guess Dan's got a good eye, because he doesn't mention any measurements)

I'll second glas-ra.
Even if you don't do it yourself, I have found Glas-Ra manuals to be a good
resource in understanding the Vette body and associated repairs. They are
not that pricey either.

Marty

Old May 27th 05, 02:08 AM
Vandervecken

As for measurements, virtually all manufacturers publish tables of
critical dimensions and tolerances for aligning damaged frames /
structure. They're usually published in the factory service / repair manual.

-- Vandervecken

Body Work & Welders Rusted Jeep 19 February 11th 05 02:17 AM
Can a type 2 body be removed from the frame for body work? [email protected] VW air cooled 2 February 6th 05 01:49 AM
lookin 4 butch VW air cooled 12 December 17th 04 12:38 AM
New valve body part number for infamous transaxle problems at twice the cost John Hupp Saturn 3 December 8th 04 05:04 PM
body work need in los angeles area Antique cars 0 October 20th 04 09:49 AM