Problem changing timing belt on 89 Civic

Old November 2nd 06, 01:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
newbie

Default Problem changing timing belt on 89 Civic

I tried to change the timing belt on my 89 Civic, I got as far as the
crankshaft flywheel/pulley but the nut that secured it to the
crankshaft is so tight that no matter what we did, me and my friend
can't get it to loosen, does anyone have any idea how to do this?

Is it one of those bolts that has a reverse thread? I did not try that
for fear of tighten it even further. Also the space to stick a ratchet
in is VERY narrow, what could be a better tool to use?

Any idea will be very much appreciated. Thank you all in advance!

Old November 2nd 06, 01:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
TeGGeR®

"newbie" > wrote in ups.com:

> I tried to change the timing belt on my 89 Civic, I got as far as the
> crankshaft flywheel/pulley but the nut that secured it to the
> crankshaft is so tight that no matter what we did, me and my friend
> can't get it to loosen, does anyone have any idea how to do this?
>
> Is it one of those bolts that has a reverse thread? I did not try that
> for fear of tighten it even further. Also the space to stick a ratchet
> in is VERY narrow, what could be a better tool to use?
>
> Any idea will be very much appreciated. Thank you all in advance!

Welcome to the very first and most popular Honda FAQ question!
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/cranktool/index.html

I highly recommend the electric impact wrench.
DeWalt has upped the torque to 325# from 250# since I
wrote that page, and it's a real winner.
See a pic of it he
<http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/misc/new_front_bushings/7_dewalt_dw293_impact_wrench.jpg>
No compressor needed!

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old November 2nd 06, 03:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

TeGGeR® wrote:
> "newbie" > wrote in ups.com:
>
>> I tried to change the timing belt on my 89 Civic, I got as far as the
>> crankshaft flywheel/pulley but the nut that secured it to the
>> crankshaft is so tight that no matter what we did, me and my friend
>> can't get it to loosen, does anyone have any idea how to do this?
>>
>> Is it one of those bolts that has a reverse thread? I did not try that
>> for fear of tighten it even further. Also the space to stick a ratchet
>> in is VERY narrow, what could be a better tool to use?
>>
>> Any idea will be very much appreciated. Thank you all in advance!
>>

> Welcome to the very first and most popular Honda FAQ question!
> http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/cranktool/index.html
>
> I highly recommend the electric impact wrench.
> DeWalt has upped the torque to 325# from 250# since I
> wrote that page, and it's a real winner.
> See a pic of it he
> <http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/misc/new_front_bushings/7_dewalt_dw293_impact_wrench.jpg>
> No compressor needed!

i otoh recommend the pulley wheel holding tool and a 3/4" drive breaker
bar. scroll down tegger's page for pics.
Old November 2nd 06, 04:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Elle

For an easy-to-make homemade tool, see:

http://home.earthlink.net/~honda.lioness/id6.html

Old November 2nd 06, 04:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

Elle wrote:
> For an easy-to-make homemade tool, see:
>
> http://home.earthlink.net/~honda.lioness/id6.html

beware the risk of the home made tool:
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/crank...pulley_sml.jpg
Old November 2nd 06, 06:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Matt Ion

jim beam wrote:
> TeGGeR® wrote:
>
>> "newbie" > wrote in
>> ups.com:
>>
>>> I tried to change the timing belt on my 89 Civic, I got as far as the
>>> crankshaft flywheel/pulley but the nut that secured it to the
>>> crankshaft is so tight that no matter what we did, me and my friend
>>> can't get it to loosen, does anyone have any idea how to do this?
>>>
>>> Is it one of those bolts that has a reverse thread? I did not try that
>>> for fear of tighten it even further. Also the space to stick a ratchet
>>> in is VERY narrow, what could be a better tool to use?
>>>
>>> Any idea will be very much appreciated. Thank you all in advance!
>>>

>> Welcome to the very first and most popular Honda FAQ question!
>> http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/cranktool/index.html
>>
>> I highly recommend the electric impact wrench.
>> DeWalt has upped the torque to 325# from 250# since I
>> wrote that page, and it's a real winner.
>> See a pic of it he
>> <http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/misc/new_front_bushings/7_dewalt_dw293_impact_wrench.jpg>
>>
>> No compressor needed!
>>

> i otoh recommend the pulley wheel holding tool and a 3/4" drive breaker
> bar. scroll down tegger's page for pics.

Last time I tried to do the timing belt on my '87 Accord, we used a breaker bar
with a 4' pipe and even bouncing my 250+ weight on the end of it wouldn't break
the ******* loose. Also tried both electric and air impact guns, along with
lots of heat (plumber's torch), all to no avail...
Old November 2nd 06, 07:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

Matt Ion wrote:
> jim beam wrote:
>> TeGGeR® wrote:
>>
>>> "newbie" > wrote in
>>> ups.com:

>>> Welcome to the very first and most popular Honda FAQ question!
>>> http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/cranktool/index.html
>>>
>>> I highly recommend the electric impact wrench.
>>> DeWalt has upped the torque to 325# from 250# since I
>>> wrote that page, and it's a real winner.
>>> See a pic of it he
>>> <http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/misc/new_front_bushings/7_dewalt_dw293_impact_wrench.jpg>
>>>
>>> No compressor needed!
>>>

>> i otoh recommend the pulley wheel holding tool and a 3/4" drive
>> breaker bar. scroll down tegger's page for pics.

> Last time I tried to do the timing belt on my '87 Accord, we used a
> breaker bar with a 4' pipe and even bouncing my 250+ weight on the end
> of it wouldn't break the ******* loose. Also tried both electric and
> air impact guns, along with lots of heat (plumber's torch), all to no
> avail...

that's why i use 3/4" - the bolt just cracks loose every time.
Old November 2nd 06, 05:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
newbie

Thank you everyone, your comments have been very very helpful! You guys
have got to stick around this site!

Your help have been very much appreciated.

Old November 2nd 06, 07:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Matt Ion

jim beam wrote:
> Matt Ion wrote:
>
>> jim beam wrote:

>>> i otoh recommend the pulley wheel holding tool and a 3/4" drive
>>> breaker bar. scroll down tegger's page for pics.

>> Last time I tried to do the timing belt on my '87 Accord, we used a
>> breaker bar with a 4' pipe and even bouncing my 250+ weight on the end
>> of it wouldn't break the ******* loose. Also tried both electric and
>> air impact guns, along with lots of heat (plumber's torch), all to no
>> avail...

> that's why i use 3/4" - the bolt just cracks loose every time.

3/4" what? Socket? Grapplegrommet? Penis?
Old November 3rd 06, 02:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

Two 1/2" 2ft breaker bars, like the ones from HarborFreight.com for
$9.99 each on sale, 20" Craftsman extension, along with a 4ft cheaper
pipe can loosen a V6 crank bolt. It should do it for you too. Wear eye
protection just in case. Just when you think it's impossible, a loud
pop and it's loose.

You don't live in the rust belt, do you? Think Honda changed the
direction of rotation on some engines. So check first.