Caravan Diagonstic needed

Old July 16th 04, 01:25 AM
Nelson Wilbury

Default Caravan Diagonstic needed

I have a 2000 Grand Caravan, 6 cylinder. Sometimes when I turn the
key to cold start the engine I get either nothing or a click. When I
immediatly try again the van starts. I briught the van to a local
auto parts store and they check the battery, alternator and computer
(they hooked up a machie to a port under the dash). Everything
appeared to be fine. Any ideas on what this , intermitenant problem
could be?

Thanks

Old July 16th 04, 02:47 PM
Tony H

"Nelson Wilbury" > wrote in message
> I have a 2000 Grand Caravan, 6 cylinder. Sometimes when I turn the
> key to cold start the engine I get either nothing or a click. When I
> immediatly try again the van starts. I briught the van to a local
> auto parts store and they check the battery, alternator and computer
> (they hooked up a machie to a port under the dash). Everything
> appeared to be fine. Any ideas on what this , intermitenant problem
> could be?
>
> Thanks

Ah, yes. My 99 Gr. Caravan would do that. It got to a point that I would
repeatedly hit the switch until the starter turned over. I thought it was
the battery at first, but I quickly realized that it was really the starter.
So, either get your dealer to fix it, or.. jack up the front end, remove the
starter, take it to the local parts store and get a new one. Note, if your
starter has not been changed before, you will need to splice in a female
blade connector (see new starter). I also must note that it took me about 4
hours to do this job because my hands are large and I was feeling somewhat
sick on that day. Make sure to do this in the shade/garage with a fan to
stay cool.

Good Luck!
Tony

Old July 16th 04, 02:47 PM
Tony H

Old July 24th 04, 03:36 AM
Dan Fraser

You most likely have a bad battery connection. The negative cable where it
is attached to the block is the most likely problem. The bolt may look
tight. Take it off anyway, clean the surfaces and put it back again. Clean
your battery terminals and make sure the cables are on tight.