99.5 Jetta TDI Troubles

Old March 11th 05, 01:45 AM
Dave

Default 99.5 Jetta TDI Troubles

Has any TDI owners had a problem like this one? Any advice or inputs
would be most appreciated. Is an injection pump replacement a common
occurence? The car has 125,000 miles and I changed the fuel filter
about 10,000 miles ago. If I have no other option but to replace the
injection pump, is there a good place to get a used pump? Where would
be the best place to buy a new pump?

The Story:

I recently took my 99.5 Jetta TDI on a road trip. Two days driving
down to FL and two days back to OH.

The trip down was uneventful but the trip back was another story!

The trip back day 1:
On the way back, after I crossed the GA border (cheaper fuel prices)
I topped off the tank with diesel. The engine light came on almost
immediatly after starting the engine and the glo-plug light also
started blinking. The car was running fine until I stopped for lunch
in SC. Upon starting the car and leaving the parking lot, it started
bucking and running like crap. At highway speeds it seemed to do ok
but I could still feel it "missing" and when I got off the interstate,
in NC it seemed to run rougher at lower speeds. Finally reached my
overnight destination.

Day 2:
I drove to a VW dealer where my brother-in-law works as a mechanic.
On the way there, the car continued to buck and carry on while at the
same time sending out a James Bond smoke screen from the tail pipe.
He hooked up the computer and it had a code for the quantity adjuster.
The code could not be erased either. He seemed to think it was the
injection pump going bad. He also said it should make it back to OH.
To make a long story not as long, the car finally gave out 3 hours
from home. Just before it died, the idle was very erratic and it
didn't like the slower stop and go traffic in the small town I was
passing through. Once it finally decided that it could no longer
maintain the engine rpm enough to continue, it quit. I couldn't get
it to start after that. Had a friend pick me up from my home town and
finally got back. What a long day.

Day 3:
Let it sit on the side of the road all day in disgust.

Day 4:
Loaded it on a flat bed trailer. The car actually started and ran
just enough to get halfway up the ramps onto the trailer and it looked
like a smoke grenade went off around us. Towed it home and put it in
the garage where it sits, unable to start.

Old March 11th 05, 02:16 AM
Erik Dillenkofer

How often did you change the fuel filter (routine maintenance)?

Old March 11th 05, 02:52 AM
Rob Guenther

It's made an article or two in the Toronto Star's (Toronto's major
newspaper) Wheels (saturday automotive section) section a couple of times -
our diesel in Canada has to go through our winter too (water separator
drainings, fuel gelling)... And it's as bad as diesel in the USA for lack of
lubricity and high sulphur content.... You should have been using diesel
fuel conditioner (availible at truck stops).

That being said most people I know don't use it without problems... But I
swear my engine sounds nicer ;-)... Look to VW independants, the dealers
want big money for that part.

Old March 11th 05, 05:36 AM

Have you visited www.tdiclub.com ? That is one place that dieselheads
hang out. Someone may know what is wrong over there.

Jim B.
Old March 13th 05, 02:12 PM
Dave

Thanks for everyone's input. I changed the fuel filter about 10000
miles ago. I'm not quite convinced that it's the injection pump. At
least I wan't to check out all options before I sink money into a new
pump.
Dave

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 20:16:30 -0500, "Erik Dillenkofer"

Old March 14th 05, 11:54 AM
Erik Dillenkofer

Was that the first filter change (at 115,000 miles)? Or did you change the filter every 20,000 miles like you're supposed to? If you
didn't change the filter every 20,000 ... then it's very likely your pump is shot. The pump will run you between $2,000 and $3,000
to replace (and that buys a lot of $50 filters).

Also, did the mechanic check the bolts that hold the pump? If one loosened and the pump moved (even a very small amount) the
injection timing will be off and you'll have clouds of white smoke.

Old March 15th 05, 05:35 PM
Peter Parker

It's been five days since this post and I am wondering if this dude
ever decided to fix it. What's a good price for the car? If he is
interested and I'll pick it up with my Jeep and a dolly...

My Jeep almost has 200K miles on it. You just can't kill that straight
6 engine...

--
Jeeps and dubs and everything's nice...
Old March 15th 05, 10:34 PM
Rob Guenther

200K miles on an inline 6... yah i'd hope so - inherent balance, strong
engine design.

I'd pay for the value of the car with a pump in it, then just subtract the
costs of a new pump and labour at the dealer (then put in the spare pump my
mechanic has lying around for a TDI motor and pay him half the money in
labour to do it :-) ).

Old March 16th 05, 01:01 AM
Erik Dillenkofer

It could be something as simple as an intake hose blown off, the vacuum line for the N75 valve pulled off, or the intake manifold is
clogged to the point that the engine can't breathe. I've been waiting for an answer to how often the filter was changed to help
determine if it's possible the pump is actually shot ... but I guess he's in no hurry to fix it.

Old March 16th 05, 05:44 AM
hyubso

wow!

... that is a lot of money to fix a new jetta diesel..

I htink i'll keep my old faithful 1984 jetta a few more years before
buying one of those pretty new things!