O2 Sensors on 2000 Explorer Sport

Old March 10th 05, 08:50 PM
Dan

Default O2 Sensors on 2000 Explorer Sport

I have a 2000 Ford Explorer Sport with 100KM on it and just recently
the "Check Engine Light" came on. My mechanic pulled the codes and
said it was the O2 sensors. It's been a few days since that and my
"Check Engine Light" has gone off. Should I still replace the O2
sensors or should I just wait them out until the light comes back on?

Also, I've been quoted about $150 CDN for each sensor, can I get them
for cheaper anywhere else?

One more thing, is it wise to just change 2 02 sensors (the faulty
ones) or is it advisable to change all 4 at the dame time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old March 11th 05, 04:13 AM
Jim Warman

It is wise to dump your mechanic.... Without knowing which codes were
generated, you are askig me to take your mechanics word for the concern....
no diagnostics, just a terse "bring money....".

In 30 years, I have only replaced a handful of O2 sensors.... If the code(s)
retrieved don't reference the O2 heaters, it is more than likely that the
code(s) are symptomatic rather than causal and some more diagnostics are in
order.

If this stuff was that simple, I wouldn't have a job...

om...

Old March 11th 05, 02:24 PM
Dan

Thanks for the input. I'm located in Ontario near Toronto and have had
trouble finding a reliable mechanic. MY current mechanic is kind of
out-dated when it comes to new technology hence the reasons I've been
looking for a replacement.

Can you recommend any bigger "franchise" mechanic shops that are
reliable in the area?

Thanks!

Old March 12th 05, 04:14 AM
Jim Warman

I'm reluctant to suggest any of the "big box" stores.... they're modus
operandii is to lure consumers in with service specials and then apply high
pressure sales techniques for any additional work they may either find or
suggest.

Dealerships run the gamut from inept to great.... finding a good one is a
lot like looking for a doctor.

Independent shops pretty much mirror the dealerships without natioanlly
available warranty on repairs (the standard appears to be 12,000 km/90
days).

If you are an auto club member, you can check for their recommendations or
you can check here... click on shop finder on the left hand side.... Sorry I
can't give you a definitive answer.... there's just too many variables and
too many personalities involved in each and every shop.

om...