a4: Bonehead battery plenum design

Old January 22nd 05, 11:18 PM
Thomas G. Marshall

Default a4: Bonehead battery plenum design

Who is the ****ing idiot who decided to put the battery inside its own
compartment, and then make an access hatch NOT BIG ENOUGH TO ALLOW ME TO
REACH THE CELL CAPS????? (2000 / a4 / 1.8T)

So in order to even LOOK to see if there is enough water I have to open the
whole plenum.

And THEN they:

1. hide the instructions in the audi service manual so that I cannot find
out how to open it up.
2. make it so interlocked together that in order to see if parts unclip by
simply pulling, YOU HAVE TO PULL ON IT. Which means, of course, I shattered
part of it (it was below zero out, which doesn't help plastic any).
3. And THEN it did disengage, but only after breaking.
4. And this plenum cover doesn't come undone without first unhooking that
plastic "flashing" (or whatever) that runs right along the bottom edge of
the windshield. But of course, only the left part of it, because the right
part would require me to remove the windshield wipers from their posts.
Another ****ing STUPID DESIGN.
5. And THEN the left part above what looks like an air intake of some kind
has a screw that must feed into a receptical that it cannot possibly find,
unless the thing is aligned perfectly. I had to put a scratch-awl into the
hole so that with a flashlight at the wrong angle TRY to guide this plastic
hole over the receptical so that the screw will teeth into something.

I've repaired cars before, replaced a million battaries, changed a valve
cover gasket, plugs, oil changes, etc., etc., etc., and have never seen
anything so dumbass designed as the engine cavity of an audi A4.

It seriously crossed my mind to grab my sledgehammer and teach this
rediculous inanimate object a ****ing lesson. Came "this" close to it.

I am so foaming at the mouth angry at this (mis)design that I'm ready to
punch a hole in my monitor.

I am NEVER buying a ****ING AUDI AGAIN.

--
Everythinginlifeisrealative.Apingpongballseemssmal luntilsomeoneramsitupyourn
ose.

Old January 23rd 05, 02:48 AM
daytripper

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 22:18:13 GMT, "Thomas G. Marshall"
. com> wrote:

>Who is the ****ing idiot who decided to put the battery inside its own
>compartment, and then make an access hatch NOT BIG ENOUGH TO ALLOW ME TO
>REACH THE CELL CAPS????? (2000 / a4 / 1.8T)
>
>So in order to even LOOK to see if there is enough water I have to open the
>whole plenum.
>
>And THEN they:
>
>1. hide the instructions in the audi service manual so that I cannot find
>out how to open it up.
>2. make it so interlocked together that in order to see if parts unclip by
>simply pulling, YOU HAVE TO PULL ON IT. Which means, of course, I shattered
>part of it (it was below zero out, which doesn't help plastic any).
>3. And THEN it did disengage, but only after breaking.
>4. And this plenum cover doesn't come undone without first unhooking that
>plastic "flashing" (or whatever) that runs right along the bottom edge of
>the windshield. But of course, only the left part of it, because the right
>part would require me to remove the windshield wipers from their posts.
>Another ****ing STUPID DESIGN.
>5. And THEN the left part above what looks like an air intake of some kind
>has a screw that must feed into a receptical that it cannot possibly find,
>unless the thing is aligned perfectly. I had to put a scratch-awl into the
>hole so that with a flashlight at the wrong angle TRY to guide this plastic
>hole over the receptical so that the screw will teeth into something.
>
>I've repaired cars before, replaced a million battaries, changed a valve
>cover gasket, plugs, oil changes, etc., etc., etc., and have never seen
>anything so dumbass designed as the engine cavity of an audi A4.
>
>It seriously crossed my mind to grab my sledgehammer and teach this
>rediculous inanimate object a ****ing lesson. Came "this" close to it.
>
>I am so foaming at the mouth angry at this (mis)design that I'm ready to
>punch a hole in my monitor.
>
>I am NEVER buying a ****ING AUDI AGAIN.

Ah, excellent. Today's public display of raging stupidity is a good one.

Do you really think you've made an argument against the A4?
Seems to me you just made a convincing argument that you are a
foaming-at-the-mouth dumbass. Nice.

It took me less than 5 minutes to get the battery out of my S4 when I had to
make a change. Nothing broken, no problem putting that one screw back or
putting the rubbers back.

Of course, I *had* a clue...

/daytripper
'00 s4 6spd
Old January 23rd 05, 07:03 AM
Thomas G. Marshall

daytripper coughed up:
> On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 22:18:13 GMT, "Thomas G. Marshall"
> . com> wrote:
>

>> Who is the ****ing idiot who decided to put the battery inside its
>> own compartment, and then make an access hatch NOT BIG ENOUGH TO
>> ALLOW ME TO REACH THE CELL CAPS????? (2000 / a4 / 1.8T)
>>
>> So in order to even LOOK to see if there is enough water I have to
>> open the whole plenum.
>>
>> And THEN they:
>>
>> 1. hide the instructions in the audi service manual so that I cannot
>> find out how to open it up.
>> 2. make it so interlocked together that in order to see if parts
>> unclip by simply pulling, YOU HAVE TO PULL ON IT. Which means, of
>> course, I shattered part of it (it was below zero out, which doesn't
>> help plastic any).
>> 3. And THEN it did disengage, but only after breaking.
>> 4. And this plenum cover doesn't come undone without first unhooking
>> that plastic "flashing" (or whatever) that runs right along the
>> bottom edge of the windshield. But of course, only the left part of
>> it, because the right part would require me to remove the windshield
>> wipers from their posts. Another ****ing STUPID DESIGN.
>> 5. And THEN the left part above what looks like an air intake of
>> some kind has a screw that must feed into a receptical that it
>> cannot possibly find, unless the thing is aligned perfectly. I had
>> to put a scratch-awl into the hole so that with a flashlight at the
>> wrong angle TRY to guide this plastic hole over the receptical so
>> that the screw will teeth into something.
>>
>> I've repaired cars before, replaced a million battaries, changed a
>> valve cover gasket, plugs, oil changes, etc., etc., etc., and have
>> never seen anything so dumbass designed as the engine cavity of an
>> audi A4.
>>
>> It seriously crossed my mind to grab my sledgehammer and teach this
>> rediculous inanimate object a ****ing lesson. Came "this" close to
>> it.
>>
>> I am so foaming at the mouth angry at this (mis)design that I'm
>> ready to punch a hole in my monitor.
>>
>> I am NEVER buying a ****ING AUDI AGAIN.

> Ah, excellent. Today's public display of raging stupidity is a good
> one.
>
> Do you really think you've made an argument against the A4?

Yep.

Well, I was certainly foaming at the mouth angry, as I freely admitted in my
post. I was freezing cold, and the plastic litterally shattered in my
hands. Not broke; shattered---it was /very/ brittle. There is no excuse
for putting temperature sensitive plastic like that into a car.

But in any case, I apologize for my utter lack of temperment. As such, I'll
ignore /your/ personal insults for now.

--
Onedoctortoanother:"Ifthisismyrectalthermometer,wh erethehell'smypen???"

Battery replacement comments and questions Tom's VR6 VW water cooled 1 November 12th 04 07:12 PM
battery question Jim Beaver General 14 November 6th 04 11:54 PM
Alfa Romeo 156 alarm won't turn off problem Alfie Norks Alfa Romeo 14 October 23rd 04 04:33 AM
Dead Battery current leak Jeremy Saturn 3 July 1st 04 07:54 PM
Replacing Corroded Battery Cables for SL1 2000 Chris Gutierrez Saturn 2 June 28th 04 03:40 AM