Skyjacker lift kits?

Old January 6th 05, 04:42 AM
Carl Saiyed

Default Skyjacker lift kits?

I received a $500 Skyjacker gift certificate today, so it looks like my next
lift will be from Skyjacker. I'd like to get a 3" kit from them for my 89
Cherokee Pioneer. How do these kits compare to Rubicon Express kits?

Should I sell the $500 gift card and save for a Rubicon Express kit?

Thanks,

Carl

Old January 6th 05, 05:36 PM
Kevin in San Diego

Rubicon express is a better kit overall and are easier to add to in my
opinion. Having said that, my friend has a skyjacker lift on his xj and has
no complaints. Are you going to install it yourself or have a shop do it?
KH

Old January 7th 05, 12:42 AM
Carl Saiyed

I will be installing it myself with the help of an experianced friend.

Thanks,

Carl

Old January 7th 05, 04:33 AM
Kevin in San Diego

Great, that is the only way to do it, you learn so much more.3" lifts are
easy. Spray all your u bolts, shock mounts each day for a week before with
pb blaster. Broken rusty or stripped stuff is the biggest thing usually. 3"
front coils probably dont need a spring compressor to get them in. front
bump stops often thread into your front spring perch and can strip easy.
Brake lines can round off easy unless you use a good set of line wrenches on
them. Most likely you will be adding a longer one to your back line. You
shoulnt need an sye at that height but if you can get one it sure is better.
Make sure and get it aligned after the lift. Your toe will most likely be
out and may eat your tires until you fix it. Setting the toe yourself at
home is really easy and is something you should consider. I run my xj with
about 1/8" of toe in done myself with a tape measure.
skyjacker and re are both good brands. Thats a nice present you got.
Does the left you are getting come with full new spring packs or just add a
leafs? If you can afford it, I suggest buying full leaf packs. the add a
leafs (aal) sag within a year or so. If not, you can wait a bit to add
those.
Does your new kit come with a track bar? I just redrilled and moved mine
over but I have a new adjustable track bar waiting to go on. recheck your
leaf spring u bolts a few times especially after a few months. Mine came
loose fast. The RE and skyjacker quick disconnects that come with their
lifts really suck. Most people including me love their jks quick
disconnects.

http://www.polytropia.com/cherokee/suspension.html

Old January 7th 05, 04:51 AM
Carl Saiyed

Hey Kevin!

The kit I'll be buying has full rear leaf packs and a "Track bar
bracket". Not sure what an "SYE" is? Does 699.99 sound like a decent price
for 3" front coils, 3" rear leaf packs, u bolts, , track bar bracket, 4
Softride Hydro shocks? This is at
http://www.4wheelonline.com/Products...ProductId=3926

Locally, I've heard up to $850 for just the kit.

Thanks for the tips!

Old January 7th 05, 05:18 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Slip Yoke Eliminator: http://7slotgrille.com/tech/sye2/index.html
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old January 7th 05, 06:02 AM
Carl Saiyed

Thanks, Bill.

Carl

Old January 7th 05, 05:20 PM
Steve

Hi Carl,

Here's a lower price for the same kit:

http://www.rockymountainsusp.com/ind...ber=JC301KS+SK

Just for reference, here's a quote I got last year from Mesa4x4.com for
RE lifts:

5.5 Inch XJ Extreme Duty Suspension Lift
RE-RE6200 $960.95
4.5 Inch XJ Super-Flex Suspension Lift (full springs)
RE-RE6130 $695.95
4.5 Inch XJ Super-Flex Suspension Lift (add-a-leaf)
RE-RE6111 $534.95
3.5 Inch XJ Super-Flex Suspension Lift (full springs)
RE-RE6030 $477.95
3.5 Inch XJ Super-Flex Suspension Lift (add-a-leaf)
RE-RE6010 $313.95
3.5 Inch XJ Super-Ride Suspension Lift
RE-RE6020 $239.95
2.0 Inch XJ Standard Suspension Lift (with shocks)
RE-RE6160 $149.95

Note that the arms on your standard Skyjacker kit have rubber bushings
on both ends. For about the same price as the JC301KS (difference is in
the included skyjacker shocks), the RE6030 gives you arms with a
rebuildable 'flex' joint superior to the pricier Skyjacker 'single flex'
kits. I found that the best prices for RE were on dealer sites that said
"too low to list, call or email for price".

Steve
http://xjeep.dyndns.org

Old January 9th 05, 09:08 AM
Kevin in San Diego

Call Bob Suplee. I bought my lift from him. Back then it was no tax and
free shipping.
He has been in business a long time and will do you right.
(405) 799-8977
KH

Old January 11th 05, 06:43 AM
Hey There

Another good place to call for pricing is www.XtremeTerrain.com

They have the SkyJacker Lift Kits listed at very good prices!

NT