Passenger, Touring, Performance, etc., which tire is "best"?

Old June 17th 05, 09:17 AM
RPS

Default Passenger, Touring, Performance, etc., which tire is "best"?

I am confused by tire classifications like passenger, touring,
performance, etc. Which one is 'best' for a 'normal' person---let us
say someone like me? :-)

(1) I drive about equally in city and highway.

(2) I live in an apt, with no room to store winter tires, so I do need
all-weathers.

(3) I value safety (good grip) most, then comfort/quiet, and tire life
last. For a safe and quiet ride, I wouldn't mind changing tires more
often.

(4) I live in midwest, there is some rain and snow but it is not
exactly arctic. Maybe 3 months of snow per year?

(5) I walk to work, so driving is mostly discretionary. Which is why I
know little about cars. :-). Other than getting caught in
unanticipated bad weather, mostly I can choose not to drive during
particularly bad weather.

Which tires, tyoe or brands or models, are best for me? 'Best value' if
you have an opinion? My car is Camry, tire size is 205/65/15. Thanks.
Old June 17th 05, 11:40 AM
Hopkins

If value means anything, you don't want performance.

This site can help -
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/dg/Sel...akeAndYear.jsp

Old June 17th 05, 01:22 PM
Ted B.

"RPS" > wrote in message
>I am confused by tire classifications like passenger, touring,
> performance, etc. Which one is 'best' for a 'normal' person---let us
> say someone like me? :-)
>
> (1) I drive about equally in city and highway.
>
> (2) I live in an apt, with no room to store winter tires, so I do need
> all-weathers.
>
> (3) I value safety (good grip) most, then comfort/quiet, and tire life
> last. For a safe and quiet ride, I wouldn't mind changing tires more
> often.
>
> (4) I live in midwest, there is some rain and snow but it is not
> exactly arctic. Maybe 3 months of snow per year?
>
> (5) I walk to work, so driving is mostly discretionary. Which is why I
> know little about cars. :-). Other than getting caught in
> unanticipated bad weather, mostly I can choose not to drive during
> particularly bad weather.
>
> Which tires, tyoe or brands or models, are best for me? 'Best value' if
> you have an opinion? My car is Camry, tire size is 205/65/15. Thanks.

You want PASSENGER tires. I'd suggest Goodyear Assurance ComforTred. They
might be a little pricey, but they will give you good traction year-round,
and should wear pretty well if you keep them rotated and keep your car
aligned properly. -Dave

Old June 17th 05, 02:20 PM
Daniel

If your question arises from the Yokohama tire site linked yesterday,
recommended them for excellent value, good quality.
They have a new tire designed specifically for the Camry :
http://www.yokohamatire.com/TireFeatures.asp?TireID=80
(you can see their application graph on the pdf spec. page)
Tread pattern and compounds affect the tire designation.
Touring tires typically give many of the qualities you've listed:
long wear, comfortable, safe, quiet ride.
Performance tires have softer rubber compounds to stick better (and
wear more quickly) plus a more aggresssive tread design that can be
noisier.
Touring tires often have a continuous center rib (longer wear, quiet)
though now performance tires are adopting this also. Touring tires
typically have tread blocks oriented closer to a straight line parallel
to the direction of rotation - generally speaking, plus smaller spaces
between blocks.
The AVID touring I've been using have plenty of grip, far as I can
tell, plus an 80,000 mile warranty. If you see an 80,000 mile warranty,
that's a touring tire. Treadwear rating over 600 is a touring tire.
Lower treadwear numberrs are performance tires. Also my heat rating is
B, whereas performance tires would be A, but my tires are cool even
after driving highway on hot days. Also, I have speed rating S (112 mph
continuous), performance tires can go to Z (150 mph).

Old June 17th 05, 04:49 PM
Henry Kolesnik

For the last 20 years or so I've been buying the second cheapest tire that
Sam's Club sells and I've never had a problem. Lived in Denver and Tulsa.
If you can walk to work forget about all the tire talk, use what you have
till they wear out. Front wheel drive is better in snow than rear wheel
drive and if you have any decent tread left you'll go. If you see lots of
cars slipping and sliding around, going in the ditch, no tire will help
much,so just walk.
Hank

Old June 17th 05, 07:43 PM
Jeff Strickland

I think you would be best served with All Season Touring tires. These will
give you good solid performance over a wide range of conditions. They will
stop and turn well for you, and they will be about as quiet as can be
expected. And they will give a good life. They won't be the "best" at
anything, but they will be good at almost everything. Certainly they will
provide a casual driver such as yourself with all of the qualities you are
likely to exploit.

Old June 17th 05, 11:26 PM
Car Guy

Get a set of michelin harmony tires and you will love them. If you want
something else, try the goodyear tripletred tires.

As for buying cheap rubber, remember that only 4 rubber contact patches the
size of the palm of your hand hold you to the road.

Old June 18th 05, 02:16 AM
Car Guy

Also, have a look at http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/index.jsp
for tire ratings

Old June 18th 05, 09:21 PM
John S.

I would go to your local tire dealer, tell them your requirements and
let them lay out some choices for you. If you were satisfied with the
tires that came originally with the car the tire shop should be able to
come very close to replicating the ride, traction, comfort and wear
characteristics. If this is of any help had very good luck with a set
of Yokohama tires on a Volvo 960.

Old June 21st 05, 03:07 PM
RPS

Car Guy > wrote:

: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/index.jsp

Greatly appreciate this reference. However, this has introduced a yet
another category to me: "grand touring"!

My basic conditions are as follows: I don't drive to work, so can avoid
some of the worst weather. Lots of pot-holes on some of the roads I
have to take. Not much rain but Midwest snow (3 months/yr?). Summers
can touch 95 deg.

Most driving is within 25 miles (speed 45-60, roads can be bad), but we
do take a few 500 miles trips (speed average 60-80, good roads).

I care about safety first, then quiet ride, then smooth ride, and tread
wear the last.

Which of these groups fit me: Passenger, Touring, Grand Touring, and
Performance?