Error codes finally.

Old January 8th 05, 12:29 AM

If it ever stops raining I'll do that... what should I be looking for?

-Mike

--
A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT
Cold air intake

"Deputy Dog" > wrote in message
> Pull the plug and take a look at it. It will tell the story or at least
> point you in the right direction.
>
> Dave
>
> > wrote in message
> om...
> >I cleaned the MAF sensor with brake parts cleaner... the wires were

filthy.
> > Now they are shiney silver again. I let it air dry & stuck it back in. I
> > had
> > the negative battery cable disconnected during all of this.. for about
> > 25-30
> > minutes total. I also took off the IAC valve & it didn't have any carbon
> > buildup.. so I just reconnected it without doing anything else to it. I
> > also
> > cleaned the IAT/ACT sensor with brake parts cleaner... couldn't really
> > tell
> > a difference since it's black.. but anyway... codes haven't returned

yet..
> > checked for codes w/ code reader anyway & no codes. The car idles far

less

Old January 8th 05, 01:32 AM
Deputy Dog

Look for deposits and post back with the description and i'm sure someone
can help. somebody once posted a link to a site that had pic's of the
different depoists and what they meant. I may have it some where(i'm
looking).

Dave
om...

Old January 8th 05, 02:35 AM

Well... I pulled all 4 spark plugs on driver's side (cylinders 5-8 I
believe) and they all looked the same. My buddy is a manager at Autozone
(Stan) & he hooked me up with an ignition wire set for $50 w/ his discount
so I bought 'em. I replaced cylinder 7 ignition wire & car runs like a
CHAMP. These wires are also Ford Motorcraft 8mm wires.. but they seem to be
MUCH better made than the old Ford Motorcraft wires.. wtf?? Anyway.. I only
romped on it a little & the power is BACK. Gosh I missed it. I took it back
home immediately though & parked it.. gonna replace the remaining 7 wires (I
mean, why not? I paid for 'em!) tomorrow. Thx to all who replied.

-Mike

Old January 8th 05, 02:37 AM

Good advice, Dana.. and much appreciated. The problem was ignition wire to
cyl. 7.

-Mike

Old January 8th 05, 08:05 AM

Well... I had nothing better to do at 11:20PM when it's 20 degrees F
outside.. so I figured why not replace the remaining 7 ignition wires?
Well.. I went out there & did it... idles like a purring kitten. Hammer on
the gas & she ROARS to make her presence known... man it feels GREAT...
instant smile on my face. =D

-Mike

Old January 8th 05, 03:29 PM
John

> wrote in message
. com...
> Well... I had nothing better to do at 11:20PM when it's 20 degrees F
> outside.. so I figured why not replace the remaining 7 ignition wires?
> Well.. I went out there & did it... idles like a purring kitten. Hammer on
> the gas & she ROARS to make her presence known... man it feels GREAT...
> instant smile on my face. =D

Mike, on the old wireset, did you ever look for leaking electrons? At night
with no lights around, i.e. pitch dark, pop the hood and look for flashes?
It's one of the fastest, easiest things to do when having ignition problems.
Sometimes you can see the problem.

--
John
ThunderSnake #59

Old January 8th 05, 07:37 PM
Ryan West

i suggested to check the IAC because he said it stalls out, misfires, runs
lean, and all were the same symptoms i was having. thats why i suggested to
clean and/or replace the IAC, besides that it should be replaced every 15000
miles. thats what i have been told. havent seen it verified in a manual or
anything though.

Ryan
. com...

Old January 8th 05, 08:14 PM

Yeah my buddy Stan (autozone) told me that little trick & we looked...
sprayed water on the wires too.. couldn't find anything.

-Mike

Old January 8th 05, 08:14 PM

Nah.. never stalled out.. but did run rough & ran lean. I haven't changed my
IAC..... ever. No carbon buildup that I could find though... =/. I
appreciate the advice tho!

-Mike

--
A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT
Cold air intake
FRPP 3.73 gears
Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter
Flowmaster 40 Series mufflers (self-installed woohoo)
Hi-speed fan switch
255/60R-15 rear tires
Subframe connectors
Aluminum adjustable clutch quadrant