2001 Concorde whistles at 60 mph

Old December 19th 04, 04:14 PM
LB

Default 2001 Concorde whistles at 60 mph

In near-cold temperatures, (30- 40) here in the south, and through fog
banks, sometimes, I hear a loud whistle coming from engine compartment.
Constant pitch. Goes up 2 notes at 70.

Car passing from opp direction will cause it to weaken, temporarily.

Is speed-related, not rpm-related.

Used to have this problem with two K-cars.

What's causing it?

-LB

Old December 19th 04, 08:29 PM
Bill Putney

LB wrote:
> In near-cold temperatures, (30- 40) here in the south, and through fog
> banks, sometimes, I hear a loud whistle coming from engine compartment.
> Constant pitch. Goes up 2 notes at 70.
>
> Car passing from opp direction will cause it to weaken, temporarily.
>
> Is speed-related, not rpm-related.
>
> Used to have this problem with two K-cars.
>
> What's causing it?

That noise is typical of the LH cars if the window glass is loose in the
tracks. Recently my '99 Concorde was making a whistling noise that I
couldn't pinpoint (high frequency sounds are hard for the human ear to
determine direction on). A few days later the window glass came out of
and bound up in the track due to a slight misadjustment of the regulator
arm (inside the door). If you think I'm on to something, pull the door
panel and look at the regulator arm vertically-slotted screw hole. If
the screw is not bottomed into the slot, make sure the glass is in the
track and loosen that screw, push the arm downward, and tighten the
screw to secure it at the bottom of the slot.

You might also check into TSB No. 23-07-00 ("Wind noise heard in
interior"). It only is supposed to apply to '99 & '00, but it wouldn't
be the first time a TSB should have applied to a broader range than what
they claim.

Not saying that the above will nail it, but maybe...

Bill Putney
adddress with the letter 'x')
Old December 19th 04, 08:29 PM
Bill Putney

Old December 20th 04, 10:30 PM
Bill Putney

Geoff wrote:

> Bill Putney wrote:
>
> . Recently my '99 Concorde was making a whistling noise that I
>
>>couldn't pinpoint (high frequency sounds are hard for the human ear to
>>determine direction on).

> Point of order he sure you don't mean "low frequency sounds are hard
> for the human ear to ..."
>
> ?
>
> --Geoff

I was thinking of the whistling noise as being a relatively high
frequency. I just know that when mine was "whistling", and when I had a
high-pitched whistling noise from the brake booster on an unrelated
problem, it was hard to tell direction of the source of noise. Maybe
that isn't generally true.

Bill Putney
adddress with the letter 'x')
Old December 20th 04, 10:30 PM
Bill Putney

Old December 20th 04, 11:30 PM
Bill Putney

LB wrote:
> In near-cold temperatures, (30- 40) here in the south, and through fog
> banks, sometimes, I hear a loud whistle coming from engine compartment.
> Constant pitch. Goes up 2 notes at 70.
>
> Car passing from opp direction will cause it to weaken, temporarily.
>
> Is speed-related, not rpm-related.
>
> Used to have this problem with two K-cars.
>
> What's causing it?

After your e-mail, I thought of another likely possibility: Though I
haven't had the problem on my Concorde, the LH cars have a big problem
with the door gaskets shrinking and pulling away at the corners of the
body leaving an air gap between the door frame and the body when the
door is closed. Discussed a lot on the 300M Enthusiasts forums:
http://300mclub.100megs42.com/forums/index.php - look at the "Black Trim
and Weatherstripping" forum. Look there for more insight and solutions.

Bill Putney
adddress with the letter 'x')
Old December 20th 04, 11:30 PM
Bill Putney