A/C pressure test

Old April 12th 06, 12:24 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default A/C pressure test

ok i am really new to working with air conditioning, but i am wondering
if there is a way to check the pressure in the A/C system. i think mine
is low, it work last yar and then just kinda died. the compresson isnt
kicking in so im thinking it is b/c the pressure is to low. i just dont
want to add some refrigerant if that isnt the problem. i work at a
parts store and we sell a universal recharge kit that works with the
different kinds og efrigerant but i dont wanna waste my money if it is
something worse.

thanx for any help or advice

mark

Old April 12th 06, 01:28 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

The best thing to have is a set of refrigeration gauges so you can measure pressure on both high side and low side. You can save a lot of money by buying a hose with a pressure gauge designed to charge R134a with the small cans sold at auto parts stores. When you connect the hose you will probably find that the pressure is so low that the compressor will not come on. If I recall correctly it takes only about 20 psi to work the low pressure switch so the compressor will come on. R134a and R12 use different fittings. If the car is less than 10 years old it uses R134a.

--
Mike Walsh
West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.
Old April 12th 06, 01:29 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

You need to get gages on it and see what the high /lo side pressures are,
doe scompressor kick in?
oups.com...

Old April 12th 06, 02:51 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Markr1001 wrote:

> ok i am really new to working with air conditioning, but i am wondering
> if there is a way to check the pressure in the A/C system. i think mine
> is low, it work last yar and then just kinda died. the compresson isnt
> kicking in so im thinking it is b/c the pressure is to low. i just dont
> want to add some refrigerant if that isnt the problem. i work at a
> parts store and we sell a universal recharge kit that works with the
> different kinds og efrigerant but i dont wanna waste my money if it is
> something worse.
>
> thanx for any help or advice
>
> mark

If you work at a parts store, use your employee discount to buy a set of
AC gauges and a manual for your car.

If the compressor does not kick in, chances are its got a major leak
somewhere. If its R134, you can buy leakkit R134/dye in a can and use
the special glasses and the Black light to find where its leaking.
Problem is now, if you change out any parts or O rings, you will
need a vacuum pump to finish the job properly. If you got a old car with
R12 in in, you cannot legally buy it without the proper license.

Bob