Best video card for the price?... That age old question....

Old November 6th 04, 02:23 AM
Jay J

Default Best video card for the price?... That age old question....

Here we go again...
That age old question, what's the best video card for the price available
today?

I just received a rather unexpected present of a new system this evening!
It's an AMD 64 2800+ based system running on an ECS 755-A2 motherboard (8x
AGP), with 512mb of 400 DDR RAM.

So, based on that, and the recommended system requirements of new games like
Richard Burns Rally and whatnot, what do you think is the best video card
for the price?

I've been considering both an ATI and NVidia based cards such but would like
to keep the price under
$200, and ideally under $150.

Thanks in advance for the advice!
Jay J

Old November 6th 04, 03:25 AM
Jim V.

On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 02:23:49 GMT, "Jay J" >
wrote:

>Here we go again...
>That age old question, what's the best video card for the price available
>today?
>
>I just received a rather unexpected present of a new system this evening!
>It's an AMD 64 2800+ based system running on an ECS 755-A2 motherboard (8x
>AGP), with 512mb of 400 DDR RAM.
>
>So, based on that, and the recommended system requirements of new games like
>Richard Burns Rally and whatnot, what do you think is the best video card
>for the price?
>
>I've been considering both an ATI and NVidia based cards such but would like
>to keep the price under
>$200, and ideally under $150.
>
>Thanks in advance for the advice!
>Jay J

Since I did this myself just a few weeks ago, I went with a
Radeon 9800pro 128mb for $200 for my AMD64 3200+

Old November 6th 04, 06:09 AM
EldredP

In article >, Jim V.
> writes:

>Since I did this myself just a few weeks ago, I went with a
>Radeon 9800pro 128mb for $200 for my AMD64 3200+

Why did you choose that particular card? Price, benchmarks, or some other
criteria?

Eldred
--
http://www.umich.edu/~epickett
Screamers League
Old November 6th 04, 07:58 AM
Magnus Svensson

wrote:

>Here we go again...
>That age old question, what's the best video card for the price available
>today?
>
>I just received a rather unexpected present of a new system this evening!
>It's an AMD 64 2800+ based system running on an ECS 755-A2 motherboard (8x
>AGP), with 512mb of 400 DDR RAM.
>
>So, based on that, and the recommended system requirements of new games like
>Richard Burns Rally and whatnot, what do you think is the best video card
>for the price?
>
>I've been considering both an ATI and NVidia based cards such but would like
>to keep the price under
>$200, and ideally under $150.
>
>Thanks in advance for the advice!
>Jay J

It's a tough time for the value-minded right now. The R9800PRO is
still good value, but others are knocking at the door...

The question is wether you absolutely have to have it right this
minute or not. GF6600GT:s are fairly(~20%) better than the R9800 in
just about every way, but are just available in the PCIe variety at
the moment. About the same for X700XT in the ATI camp.

Watch out for '9800LE' or '9800SE', though. They're crap.

Old November 6th 04, 09:58 AM
Rolf Wesemann

I use a MSI 5900XT. Idecided because of the loudness of this card. It's not
as loud as most of the others becaus of a bigger cooler and it's very fast.
But most important was the low noise

Rolf

Old November 6th 04, 12:03 PM
Destroy

In that price range, 9800pro.

Old November 6th 04, 01:53 PM
Curt Carlson

price range 6600GT

Old November 6th 04, 04:38 PM
rms

Consider the X700 also, at $200 it at least equals a 9800XT.

rms