Cam sensor location?????

Old August 15th 06, 11:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
seeray28\(steve\)

Default Cam sensor location?????

Hi, a buddy of mine has a 1998 wrangler 4.0 stick. the check engine light is
not on but he had the codes pulled by autozone due to a random no start. The
code reader says CAM POS sensor So I presume that is the camshaft position
sensor. My question is, Where is this. I googled it and came up with either
in the block under the distributor at the oil pump, and inside the
distributer.
Which one is it
Thanks
Steve

Old August 15th 06, 04:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
billy ray

It is inside the distributor

Old August 16th 06, 10:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
seeray28\(steve\)

Great, THANK YOU. now another question. is the dealer the only place to get
one since autozone and advanced dont carry it?

Old August 16th 06, 01:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
billy ray

Steve, I've never needed to buy one, you might try calling NAPA but unless
we get someone else jumping in here with the answer you may have to go to a
dealer parts department.

If this is a second car there are online dealerships where you can get
discount price.

Old August 16th 06, 11:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
seeray28\(steve\)

ok THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR TIME.
Ill start with the dealers
Steve

Old August 17th 06, 01:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
philthy

it is the distributor

Old August 18th 06, 09:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW

seeray28(steve) wrote:
> Hi, a buddy of mine has a 1998 wrangler 4.0 stick. the check engine
> light is not on but he had the codes pulled by autozone due to a
> random no start. The code reader says CAM POS sensor So I presume
> that is the camshaft position sensor. My question is, Where is this.
> I googled it and came up with either in the block under the
> distributor at the oil pump, and inside the distributer.
> Which one is it

For a 93 ZJ but probably close enough to get you going.
http://revbeergoggles.com/stator/
http://revbeergoggles.com/distributor/ covers removing the distributor
which you have to do to get at the stator.

A very light writeup I did. Haven't got around to doing a
web page.
http://www.revbeergoggles.com/camshaftps/

--
DougW