Superglue oil leak fix

Old January 23rd 06, 05:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled,rec.autos.tech

Default Superglue oil leak fix

I just read an interesting thread that discussed the use of superglue
to fix an oil leak on an airplane. (The trick was to attach a shop vac
to a breather so the glue is sucked into the crack.) The previous owner
of my Rabbit must have stripped the oil pan drain bolt threads, as a
helicoil-type repair insert has been installed. Unfortunately, it leaks
at the repair joint (the bolt seals fine though).

I think I'm going to try this on my diesel Rabbit. Any reason this
would be a bad idea?

Old January 23rd 06, 06:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled,rec.autos.tech

wrote:
> I just read an interesting thread that discussed the use of superglue
> to fix an oil leak on an airplane. (The trick was to attach a shop vac
> to a breather so the glue is sucked into the crack.) The previous owner
> of my Rabbit must have stripped the oil pan drain bolt threads, as a
> helicoil-type repair insert has been installed. Unfortunately, it leaks
> at the repair joint (the bolt seals fine though).
>
> I think I'm going to try this on my diesel Rabbit. Any reason this
> would be a bad idea?

I think you will find that:
1. It will be all but impossible to get the helicoil and pan clean
enough to allow superglue to adhere.
2. The glue will probably shatter at some point.

I you want to try filling the gaps, consider something like a
non-hardening high temperature gasket sealer after thoroughly cleaning
the pan and helicoil. After all this fiddling around you may
ultimately find a boneyard pan is the best way to go.

Old January 23rd 06, 06:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled,rec.autos.tech

why don't you just replace the oil pan and not waste your time.

Old January 23rd 06, 06:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled,rec.autos.tech

Super glue works on a lot of rubber and plastic but it will not work on
metal. I'd use an epoxy mix.

Old January 23rd 06, 06:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled,rec.autos.tech

> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I just read an interesting thread that discussed the use of superglue
> to fix an oil leak on an airplane. (The trick was to attach a shop vac
> to a breather so the glue is sucked into the crack.) The previous owner
> of my Rabbit must have stripped the oil pan drain bolt threads, as a
> helicoil-type repair insert has been installed. Unfortunately, it leaks
> at the repair joint (the bolt seals fine though).
>
> I think I'm going to try this on my diesel Rabbit. Any reason this
> would be a bad idea?

May not hurt. Then if/when that fails, if u remove tank, you can weld
in a replacement plug/nut cheaply--don't hafta buy another pan. s

Old January 23rd 06, 06:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled,rec.autos.tech

I learned a simulair trick from a chrysler dealer. After they installed an
oil pan gasket incorrectly where it mated to the front cover. There was a
lip where the gaskets overlapped seated incorrectly allowing oil to leak out
about a half a quart a day. Their trick was to put a vacuumn on the oil
breather hole and clean the leak area off with contact cleaner, until
spotless. And use high temp red rtv and they sucked it in with the vacuumn
and shut it down and let it dry overnite. It was not leaking 6 years later.
Also someone did the exact same trick on a Ford 302 rear intake gasket.,
using red high temp rtv. The fix is to take the intake off and put a new
gasket on. it was about a $500 fix. It was much more difficult to clean, but
lasted about a year and a half. Also I guarantee that superglue on an
aircraft engine is NOT approved by the FAA. General Aviation owners are much
more lenient about their repairs , and I,m sure everything has been tried to
save a buck , by people who can't afford proper maintenance. Will it work ,
sometimes. Would I want to fly across water about 3 hours with it. No.
oups.com...

Old January 23rd 06, 07:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled,rec.autos.tech

Superglue works on anything not porous like plastic, glass, and certain
rubber. If air can get to it through the material being glued, it will not
work.

Old January 23rd 06, 08:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled,rec.autos.tech

wrote:

> I just read an interesting thread that discussed the use of superglue
> to fix an oil leak on an airplane. (The trick was to attach a shop vac
> to a breather so the glue is sucked into the crack.) The previous owner
> of my Rabbit must have stripped the oil pan drain bolt threads, as a
> helicoil-type repair insert has been installed. Unfortunately, it leaks
> at the repair joint (the bolt seals fine though).
>
> I think I'm going to try this on my diesel Rabbit. Any reason this
> would be a bad idea?

I can think of a bunch of reasons why this might (probably) not work.

Like a previous poster said:
I doubt you'll get it clean enough to get the glue to do any real good.
I'll assume you want to try this to not remove the pan to fix it
properly. I'd pull the pan, clean it squeaky clean, then patch the
insert leak with an epoxy like JBWeld. Be careful not to get it on any
part you don't want it to stay on forever. It can be wiped clean &
removed when soft. If mixed right, once it's hard it's there for eternity.

Did the original story also mention that you'll probably have to seal up
the exhaust for the shop vac to build enough draw to suck fluid through
cracks? At least one valve in that engine will likely be open to the
exhaust no matter what position the crankshaft is at. Don't forget any
EGR system on the engine - gotta plug that up too. Not just plug, but
seal completely airtight. Are your valve covers & gaskets in minty-mint
shape and seal 100%? I have to wonder how strong a shop vac you need for
this to even come close to working ...

Also, super glue will get brittle from engine heat over time and
crumble. SG is great for surface-to-surface repairs, but a crack is not
that kind of a repair - it's a jagged hole with a gap to fill. Even the
thicker gel type of SG stinks at that kind of repair. You'll probably be
right back where you started.

Good luck,
- JJ

Old January 23rd 06, 08:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled,rec.autos.tech

> Did the original story also mention that you'll probably have to seal up
> the exhaust for the shop vac to build enough draw to suck fluid through
> cracks? At least one valve in that engine will likely be open to the
> exhaust no matter what position the crankshaft is at. Don't forget any
> EGR system on the engine - gotta plug that up too. Not just plug, but
> seal completely airtight. Are your valve covers & gaskets in minty-mint
> shape and seal 100%? I have to wonder how strong a shop vac you need for
> this to even come close to working ...

If the gap is so big that capillary action alone won't pull the super
glue in where you want it, then the gap's too big to use super glue to
repair.

I agree, JB Weld is a better idea for this application.