1993 AC Compressor Clutch Kit?

Old October 11th 04, 07:51 PM
JimNorton

Default 1993 AC Compressor Clutch Kit?

I have a 1993 Corvette and one day while running the AC this
blue/whitish smoke started bellowing out of the hood. I didn't know
what the problem was, but I managed to get the car home... it was a
short drive.

The following morning, I started the car up and heard a "thwack". I
shut the engine down, opened the hood and noticed that the serpentine
belt had broken and the AC pulley would not turn... Now I believe that
the AC compressor clutch froze up.

I was quoted about $800 from a local Chevy dealer to fix this.

That sounds rather unreasonable considering I can buy just the clutch
from a local parts store for about $150.

Now my question is, is it reasonable to just replace the AC clutch
assembly and if so, is this a complicated task requiring special
tools?

Thanks.
Old October 11th 04, 10:11 PM
Diode

JimNorton spoke thusly:

> belt had broken and the AC pulley would not turn... Now I believe that
> the AC compressor clutch froze up.

It's not the clutch that froze, it's the compressor. If the clutch is
"frozen" all that will happen is that the compressor will not turn off.
When the compressor "freezes", it stops turning.

--

Shut up, Dave.

-|>|- Diode -|<|-
'68 L-79 Coupe
'79 Triumph Bonneville
Old October 11th 04, 10:11 PM
Diode

JimNorton spoke thusly:

Old October 12th 04, 03:34 AM
Diode

Charles Spitzer spoke thusly...

> i've had exactly the same problem. it was solved by replacing the clutch,
> not the entire compressor.

If that's accurate, I stand corrected. Doesn't sound right, but if you
say so...

--
-|>|- Diode -|<|-
'68 L-79 Coupe
Old October 12th 04, 03:34 AM
Diode

Old October 13th 04, 01:29 AM
Steve G

Think about it for a moment. If the compressor was actually seized the
pully would turn when the clutch is not engaged, ie, when it's not running.
The belt is turning the pully all the time, but the compressor is not.
Current is applied to the clutch to engage it and start the compressor
turning.
Yove already confirmed this in my mind, but if you want a double check,
with the engine NOT running and the belt removed, try to turn the pully. If
it does not spin freely the bearing that the pully rides on is seized. Now
put a socket on the smallish nut at the centre of the clutch. This is on
the end of the compressor crankshaft. Turn it clockwise. If this turns
(reasonable amount of resistance to be expected), the compressor is not
frozen.
Highest likelyhood, brg seized up and damaged the clutch when it heated.
It's no wonder the dealers have no trouble overselling this repair. Look
how many people in this thread would have sold themselves a compressor.
Yes, a special tool is req'd to remove the clutch. Not expensive and
not a difficult job assuming the compressor is accessible. If the front of
the compressor is readily accessible the system does not have to be
evacuated of refrigerant. Compressor can be dismounted with the hoses
connected so that it can be tilted up to work on it.
Steve G.
. ..

Old October 13th 04, 01:29 AM
Steve G

[...]
. ..

Old October 13th 04, 01:31 AM
Jon Smith

Just replace the assembly. It is not that much and there are only four
bolts that hold the thing on. Why go to the trouble of setting the
clutch clearance and end up finding that the compressor was going out
anyway and have to do the entire thing anyway. Since it is a 93 you use
R-134 anyway so go for the compressor

JimNorton wrote:

> I have a 1993 Corvette and one day while running the AC this
> blue/whitish smoke started bellowing out of the hood. I didn't know
> what the problem was, but I managed to get the car home... it was a
> short drive.
>
> The following morning, I started the car up and heard a "thwack". I
> shut the engine down, opened the hood and noticed that the serpentine
> belt had broken and the AC pulley would not turn... Now I believe that
> the AC compressor clutch froze up.
>
> I was quoted about $800 from a local Chevy dealer to fix this.
>
> That sounds rather unreasonable considering I can buy just the clutch
> from a local parts store for about $150.
>
> Now my question is, is it reasonable to just replace the AC clutch
> assembly and if so, is this a complicated task requiring special
> tools?
>
> Thanks.

1993 525tds starting problem Graeme BMW 0 January 16th 05 01:19 PM
Need help to replace thermostat on 1993 325i sedan Lyle_s BMW 7 December 31st 04 11:30 AM
Need advice on 1993 E36 Erik BMW 4 December 20th 04 10:15 PM
1993 BMW325 IS - Brake Light Electrical System FSCHW BMW 12 November 18th 04 02:53 AM
1993 525i - power locks unlocking themselves Stewart BMW 2 October 18th 04 12:02 AM