Geo Metro Gauge problems

Old February 10th 05, 03:59 AM
Lawrence Glickman

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 03:40:26 GMT, aarcuda69062
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Lawrence Glickman > wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 03:10:28 GMT, aarcuda69062
>> > wrote:

>> >I did.
>> >
>> >You're wrong.

>> FAMOUS ****in' last words of a whole _****load_ of know-it-alls.

>Now, if Bob and myself and Nate, given our respective professions
>-weren't- know-it- alls, you'd be bitching about that also,
>wouldn't you?

Well, give a guy some slack. The are some things that I can't/won't
get to that a shop can and will. So, maybe you are right about that.

Lg

Old February 10th 05, 12:16 PM
N8N

Lawrence Glickman wrote:
> On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 21:47:18 -0500, Nate Nagel >
> wrote:
>
> >Lawrence Glickman wrote:

message

wrote:

> [...]

work? What

wiring? Or does

sender? Gee....

least he

Unbelievable.....

Control with

visitors

just doing

you

the

shelves

it,

for

will

conversion

gauges

stuff

car,

time - no

etc. etc.

*really*

little

> >> Do you think you are *better* than me like Bob does, Nate?
> >> You think your **** tastes like ice cream but everybody else's

stinks?

> >> You're a goddamn GREASE monkey, Nitwit, nothing more, nothing

less,
> >> and once a grease monkey ALWAYS a grease monkey.
> >>
> >> Now, that isn't all bad, but you don't need a high school diploma

for
> >> that either.
> >>
> >> Lg
> >>

> >I guess it would blow a hole in your theory if I told you that I
> >*wasn't* a professional mechanic, just a weekend warrior/tinkerer

with
> >old things mechanical - and that I actually have an engineering

degree.

> My wife has a MASTER'S DEGREE. And I bet she makes 3 times as much
> money as you do.

a) what does her degree have anything to do with fixing a car?

b) since when was how much money someone made a measure of their worth
as a person, or their ability to offer correct advice on fixing a car?

c) if you really are married, your wife should be nominated for
sainthood.

> Now my doctor, he has an M.D. That's pretty good.
> And I think I know someone who even has a PhD. Just to put things
> into proper perspective.

What perspective would that be?

> >Now as for the "better" comment - I'm sure there are some things

that
> >you're better at than I am, that's true for pretty much everyone.

> The humility! The Humanity!
>
> > I'd
> >be willing to wager money, however, that in your case fixing cars

isn't
> >one of them.

> Practice makes perfect, and I am in full agreement with you when you
> suggest you have more experience in this area than I do.

All right then. So why are you apparently disagreeing with the advice
I gave the OP?

> >In any case - an aftermarket fuel gauge will most likely be

calibrated
> >for a Stewart-Warner sender. Now that's all fine and dandy if you

have
> >a Stewart-Warner sender in the tank, but it will still be more work

> >install than just replacing the stock gauge. You have to mount the
> >blame thing, which means you need a panel, and then find a switched

hot
> >wire and intercept the wire going to the sender. Also find a dash

light
> >wire if you want to read it at night, and probably run a ground as

well
> >as metal dashes seem to have fallen out of favor. If you *don't*

have a
> >S-W sender in the tank (and there are at least two other types that

I'm
> >aware of, and at least one of them actually increases resistance in

the
> >*opposite* direction) you are squarely in the realm of custom work,
> >something that is Not Fun when you're talking about a fuel tank, and

> >once you're down that road you realize that you would have been

better
> >off to just pay the nice man the $200 to fix it right.

> To be fair, I did suggest that was a Good Price considering the
> alternatives.
>
> >This is all assuming, of course, that the problem is the actual

gauge
> >itself and not a wiring or sender issue. If he just buys an

aftermarket
> >gauge and slaps it in, how's he gonna know whether or not it works?

> Because he can run his own wiring? I mean, I have tons of spools of
> twisted wire over here with gasoline-impervious insulation, and high
> heat ratings. Wire is cheap.

Yeah, but running it is a PITA and an aftermarket gauge slapped on
somewhere will a) cost as much or more than the correct part at a
junkyard b) look like the knot in a dog's dick.

> >Step One would be to pull the IP, get a wiring diagram, and check

the
> >resistance between the wire from the sender and ground to see if it
> >falls in a reasonable range (i.e. in between the "full" and "empty"
> >resistance specs given in the shop manual.)

> He doesn't -have- a shop manual.

He didn't say that, but if he doesn't, he should get one.

> >Now we can either continue comparing dick sizes, or just shut the

hell
> >up and wait for someone with real experience with a Geo Metro to

chime in.

> >nate

> Hold your breath. You can start breathing again when another Metro
> owner shows up to answer the question.
>
> Lg

Whatever. Just do us all a favor and don't bother posting unless you
actually have experience with whatever the hell you're talking about.

nate

Old February 10th 05, 01:45 PM
Comboverfish

aarcuda69062 wrote:

> Actually, I'm pretty slow. Both of my legs were smashed in a
> head on collision with a drunk driver 4 1/2 years ago, I'm not as
> nimble as I used to be. I discourage customers waiting, I will
> happily supply them with a ride to home or work and pick them up
> if they so choose.

I'm very sorry to hear this. You do have quite a tempered manner about
you in this newsgroup, considering what/who you decide to deal with.
Perhaps that from your tragedy you have managed to see all of the good
around you in a new light. Well, thanks for being a quality
contributor here and for setting me straight as well,

Toyota MDT in MO

Old February 10th 05, 07:02 PM
Lawrence Glickman

On 10 Feb 2005 04:16:42 -0800, "N8N" > wrote:

>Lawrence Glickman wrote:
>> On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 21:47:18 -0500, Nate Nagel >
>> wrote:

>message
>> om...

>work? What

>wiring? Or does

>sender? Gee....

>least he

>Unbelievable.....

>Control with

>visitors

>just doing

>you

>the

>shelves

>it,

>for

>will

>conversion

>gauges

>stuff

>car,

>time - no

>etc. etc.

>*really*

>little

>stinks?

>less,

>for

>> >I guess it would blow a hole in your theory if I told you that I
>> >*wasn't* a professional mechanic, just a weekend warrior/tinkerer

>with
>> >old things mechanical - and that I actually have an engineering

>degree.
>>
>> My wife has a MASTER'S DEGREE. And I bet she makes 3 times as much
>> money as you do.
>>

>a) what does her degree have anything to do with fixing a car?
>
>b) since when was how much money someone made a measure of their worth
>as a person, or their ability to offer correct advice on fixing a car?

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
>c) if you really are married, your wife should be nominated for
>sainthood.

BINGO!
GIVE THE MAN $300 AND A FREE PASS TO THE GIRLIE SHOW!
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

>> Now my doctor, he has an M.D. That's pretty good.
>> And I think I know someone who even has a PhD. Just to put things
>> into proper perspective.

>What perspective would that be?

No matter how big and tough you are, there is ALWAYS somebody bigger
and tougher.

No matter how smart you think you are, there is ALWAYS somebody
smarter.

>> >Now as for the "better" comment - I'm sure there are some things

>that
>> >you're better at than I am, that's true for pretty much everyone.

>> The humility! The Humanity!
>>
>> > I'd
>> >be willing to wager money, however, that in your case fixing cars

>isn't
>> >one of them.

I do the best I can with what I have.
I do "regular maintenance" which is preventive maintenance, which is
probably more than MOST people do.

Like aarcuda says, most people wait until a catastrophic failure
before they do anything. I try to keep a few steps ahead of the game
so that never happens.

No because I -like- it, but because I don't have the MONEY to pay for
major repairs, period. Best not to get into that situation to begin
with, IMO.

>> Practice makes perfect, and I am in full agreement with you when you
>> suggest you have more experience in this area than I do.

>All right then. So why are you apparently disagreeing with the advice
>I gave the OP?

My experience tells me that if you haven't done it before, taking
apart a dashboard ain't all that simple. Especially if you don't have
a diagram showing you where the fasteners are. Especially if you've
never done anything like that before.

I -have- on my old junkers, but would be scared to death to do this on
my pricey new car. My _only_ car. I screw it up ( pun ) and I'm in
for a tow job and a hefty repair bill. Simple as that.

>> >In any case - an aftermarket fuel gauge will most likely be

>calibrated
>> >for a Stewart-Warner sender. Now that's all fine and dandy if you

>have
>> >a Stewart-Warner sender in the tank, but it will still be more work

>> >install than just replacing the stock gauge. You have to mount the
>> >blame thing, which means you need a panel, and then find a switched

>hot
>> >wire and intercept the wire going to the sender. Also find a dash

>light
>> >wire if you want to read it at night, and probably run a ground as

>well
>> >as metal dashes seem to have fallen out of favor. If you *don't*

>have a
>> >S-W sender in the tank (and there are at least two other types that

>I'm
>> >aware of, and at least one of them actually increases resistance in

>the
>> >*opposite* direction) you are squarely in the realm of custom work,
>> >something that is Not Fun when you're talking about a fuel tank, and

>> >once you're down that road you realize that you would have been

>better
>> >off to just pay the nice man the $200 to fix it right.

>> To be fair, I did suggest that was a Good Price considering the
>> alternatives.
>>
>> >This is all assuming, of course, that the problem is the actual

>gauge
>> >itself and not a wiring or sender issue. If he just buys an

>aftermarket
>> >gauge and slaps it in, how's he gonna know whether or not it works?

>> Because he can run his own wiring? I mean, I have tons of spools of
>> twisted wire over here with gasoline-impervious insulation, and high
>> heat ratings. Wire is cheap.
>>

>Yeah, but running it is a PITA and an aftermarket gauge slapped on
>somewhere will a) cost as much or more than the correct part at a
>junkyard b) look like the knot in a dog's dick.

I don't think OP is worried about looks here. He wants a working
instrument cluster. Installing an aftermarket gauge can't be brain
surgery.

>> >Step One would be to pull the IP, get a wiring diagram, and check

>the
>> >resistance between the wire from the sender and ground to see if it
>> >falls in a reasonable range (i.e. in between the "full" and "empty"
>> >resistance specs given in the shop manual.)

>> He doesn't -have- a shop manual.

>He didn't say that, but if he doesn't, he should get one.

I am sure he doesn't have ANY manual. could be wrong about that
though.

>> >Now we can either continue comparing dick sizes, or just shut the

>hell
>> >up and wait for someone with real experience with a Geo Metro to

>chime in.
>> >
>> >nate

>> Hold your breath. You can start breathing again when another Metro
>> owner shows up to answer the question.
>>
>> Lg

>Whatever. Just do us all a favor and don't bother posting unless you
>actually have experience with whatever the hell you're talking about.
>
>nate

YOU do the same OK? Then we don't have to listen to your crap either.

Lg

Old February 10th 05, 07:04 PM
Lawrence Glickman

On 10 Feb 2005 05:45:04 -0800, "Comboverfish" >
wrote:

>aarcuda69062 wrote:
>
>> Actually, I'm pretty slow. Both of my legs were smashed in a
>> head on collision with a drunk driver 4 1/2 years ago, I'm not as
>> nimble as I used to be. I discourage customers waiting, I will
>> happily supply them with a ride to home or work and pick them up
>> if they so choose.

>I'm very sorry to hear this. You do have quite a tempered manner about
>you in this newsgroup, considering what/who you decide to deal with.
>Perhaps that from your tragedy you have managed to see all of the good
>around you in a new light. Well, thanks for being a quality
>contributor here and for setting me straight as well,
>
>Toyota MDT in MO

I'll second that. aarcuda gets my vote.

Lg

Old February 10th 05, 11:24 PM
aarcuda69062

In article
.com>,
"Comboverfish" > wrote:

> I'm very sorry to hear this.

Thank you. I'm still amazed at how ones life can be changed in a
split second. My wide and I would be dead if it wasn't for seat
belts.

> You do have quite a tempered manner about
> you in this newsgroup, considering what/who you decide to deal with.

Oh, I dunno, I get rather assholeish at times.

> Perhaps that from your tragedy you have managed to see all of the good
> around you in a new light.

I tell people that a ****ty day at work still beats a good day in
a wheel chair hands down, and that's from having to use one for
only 5 months.

> Well, thanks for being a quality
> contributor here and for setting me straight as well,

Thanks again.