E39 rear door vapor barrier failure

Old April 25th 06, 11:39 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default E39 rear door vapor barrier failure

My e39 is booked in to the dealer for the fourth time in 18 months for
the rear door vapor barrier to be fixed. The dealer acknowledges that
it's a "design flaw" in the car, and I've never been charged to have
it fixed even though the car's now out of warranty. I know it's the
subject of a TSB, but I'm now getting really ****ed off with periodic
soggy carpets and a damp, smelly car.

I'm just curious about whether there's some more serious or longer
term fix for this. A "secret" warranty, or something like that?
--
Dan.
Old April 27th 06, 09:42 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Funny that ... my E39 had the same problem. It cost about £900 to fix, not
least because Vines took the front seats out in order to help the car try
out, and buggered up the runners on the drivers' side. Never taking it
there again. However, they do seem to have fixed the problem ... or is it
just this dry spell?

Old April 29th 06, 11:41 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 18:39:12 -0400, Dean Dark
> wrote:

>My e39 is booked in to the dealer for the fourth time in 18 months for
>the rear door vapor barrier to be fixed. The dealer acknowledges that
>it's a "design flaw" in the car, and I've never been charged to have
>it fixed even though the car's now out of warranty. I know it's the
>subject of a TSB...

The vapor barrier was fixed again by the dealer, at no cost. They
mentioned that the one that had failed, only fitted in the last year
or so, was a "redesigned" one and it caused them some surprise that it
had failed.

It was news to me that there is a redesigned vapor barrier; the dealer
was trying to dismiss its failure as an installation error.

What do I care? I just want the car to stop smelling like a wet dog
when it rains.
--
Dan.
Old April 30th 06, 01:25 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Is this failure in all years of e39? or just certain ones?

Old April 30th 06, 01:54 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 07:25:27 -0500, "Branden Nelsen"
> wrote:

>Is this failure in all years of e39? or just certain ones?

It's the subject of a TSB up to the 2001 model year, as far as I can
see.
--
Dan.
Old April 30th 06, 03:13 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

"Dean Dark" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 07:25:27 -0500, "Branden Nelsen"
> > wrote:
>
>>Is this failure in all years of e39? or just certain ones?

> It's the subject of a TSB up to the 2001 model year, as far as I can
> see.
> --

TSB? Trustees Savings Bank?

Old April 30th 06, 09:43 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

"Homer.Simpson" > wrote in message
> Jo Ling said
>
>> "Dean Dark" > wrote in message
>>> On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 07:25:27 -0500, "Branden Nelsen"

>>> It's the subject of a TSB up to the 2001 model year, as far as I can
>>> see.
>>> --

>> TSB? Trustees Savings Bank?

Ah. D'oh.

And what implications do these TSBs have?

Old May 1st 06, 02:32 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Dean Dark wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 07:25:27 -0500, "Branden Nelsen"
> > wrote:
>
>> Is this failure in all years of e39? or just certain ones?

> It's the subject of a TSB up to the 2001 model year, as far as I can
> see.

Actually covers later years also. Had it replaced on my '03 touring,
haven't had a problem since.