Alfa 156 1.8 rattle

Old June 22nd 04, 12:02 AM
Ypnos

Default Alfa 156 1.8 rattle

Hi all

This is my first ever newsgroup posting (I'm a lurker ) so please bear
with me. I have been reading tons about passenger side dashboard rattles
(UK), but mine seems a little different. There's a pretty loud rattle coming
from the passenger side... but it seems centered towards the left wheel. If
I open my window, there are some SCARY clanking noises coming from that side
of the car, kinda like metal hitting the ground! Yes I thought some part of
the exhaust had come off, but it hasn't. I spent hours under it and it's all
solid. The only thing I could find wrong, was the nut on the left side of
the anti-roll bar was non-standard (ie has been worked on at some point) and
it had 2-3 threads left to tighten. So I used all my might to tighten this
nut until it could go no more. But the noise is still there! It's driving me
mad and I can't live with it... Help? I'm taking it to a garage on Saturday
morning, so if there is a list I could take with me for the mechanics to
look at, I would be ever so greatful. I've had this car (used '00) for just
over a week and it's an absolute JOY to drive, except for that scary
sounding rattle. Thanks!

- Yp

If possible, please address any replies to . Thank
you.

Old June 22nd 04, 08:21 AM
Simon C

Hi Yp

I too had some pretty awful noises coming from that region of my JTD within
about 8 months of collecting the car from new.

I'm not a mechanic and some in here may prove me wrong, but I would ask them
to check the anti-roll again (especially as you say it has a non-standard
nut that was not tight). After months of wrangling with engine mounts,
struts, more engine mounts, suspension, etc. my dealer replaced the
anti-roll and the noise was cured.

The noise from mine was more of a knocking that was more apparent when at
low speeds and over speed bumps.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Simon C
156 2.4JTD V1 (2002)
To reply: remove nospam. from the address

.. .

Old June 27th 04, 07:13 PM
MG

Had exactly the same with my 2000 156 2.0 Veloce. Took it my local Alfa
dealer (Mervyn Stewart in Belfast) and they were quick to diagnose the
problem. They were also quick to take 200 pounds for replacing the
anti-roll bar and front drop links. I'm now happily knock free:-)

Cheers,
Mark.