JTD 1.9 16v vs 2.4

Old May 27th 04, 08:41 PM
Tony Rickard

Default JTD 1.9 16v vs 2.4

Changes in job mean I will double my mileage so a 156 V6 may prove too
costly. If the figures stack up I may need to consider trading in for a JTD
at some stage in the future. The 175 bhp 2.4 looks quite appealling,
especially as the 5 cylinder at least makes an interesting noise.

How does the 1.9 16v 140bhp compare? How does it sound and perform?

Also what real world fuel economies are JTD drivers getting bearing in mind
I will now be doing a lot of motorway miles. The V6 gets into the low
thirties on a motorway run, low twenties every where else.

I'm still rather old fashioned when it comes to diesels, clattery things
that run out of revs half way round the rev counter...

Cheers
Tony

Old May 27th 04, 08:48 PM
Pete

On Thu, 27 May 2004 19:41:56 GMT, "Tony Rickard"
>, wrote:

>Changes in job mean I will double my mileage so a 156 V6 may prove too
>costly. If the figures stack up I may need to consider trading in for a JTD
>at some stage in the future. The 175 bhp 2.4 looks quite appealling,
>especially as the 5 cylinder at least makes an interesting noise.
>
>How does the 1.9 16v 140bhp compare? How does it sound and perform?
>
>Also what real world fuel economies are JTD drivers getting bearing in mind
>I will now be doing a lot of motorway miles. The V6 gets into the low
>thirties on a motorway run, low twenties every where else.
>
>I'm still rather old fashioned when it comes to diesels, clattery things
>that run out of revs half way round the rev counter...
>
>Cheers
>Tony

Commiserations Tony. I only had the 1.9 for one day.
I was appalled. Both the interior and the drive.
Diesel engines are great for pumping mines. <G>

Pete
--

156 2.0 TS (2001) - Proteo Rosso (his)
147 2.0 TS (2002) - Gem Green (her's)
Old May 27th 04, 08:56 PM
SteveH

Tony Rickard > wrote:

> Changes in job mean I will double my mileage so a 156 V6 may prove too
> costly. If the figures stack up I may need to consider trading in for a JTD
> at some stage in the future. The 175 bhp 2.4 looks quite appealling,
> especially as the 5 cylinder at least makes an interesting noise.
>
> How does the 1.9 16v 140bhp compare? How does it sound and perform?
>
> Also what real world fuel economies are JTD drivers getting bearing in mind
> I will now be doing a lot of motorway miles. The V6 gets into the low
> thirties on a motorway run, low twenties every where else.
>
> I'm still rather old fashioned when it comes to diesels, clattery things
> that run out of revs half way round the rev counter...

You want an 'old skool' 8v Twinspark, you do. Amazingly economical for
the size and performance.

VW Golf GL Cabrio - Alfa 75 TS - Alfa 155 TS Lusso - COSOC KOTL
Old May 27th 04, 09:12 PM
Tony Rickard

"SteveH" wrote:

> You want an 'old skool' 8v Twinspark, you do. Amazingly economical for
> the size and performance.

On reflection the whole idea looks crazy. Having done some digging with
glasses guide the depreciation hit on my V6 would buy enough fuel to power a
space shuttle...

I can visualise Clarkson making comments right now!

It just irks that driving for work I'll be losing money but that was my
call. They would have given me a Vectra diesel but no I had to opt out and
get my beloved Alfa V6. I can hardly appeal for sympathy

Old May 27th 04, 09:15 PM
Pete

On Thu, 27 May 2004 20:12:44 GMT, "Tony Rickard"
>, wrote:

>"SteveH" wrote:
>
>> You want an 'old skool' 8v Twinspark, you do. Amazingly economical for
>> the size and performance.

>On reflection the whole idea looks crazy. Having done some digging with
>glasses guide the depreciation hit on my V6 would buy enough fuel to power a
>space shuttle...
>
>I can visualise Clarkson making comments right now!
>
>It just irks that driving for work I'll be losing money but that was my
>call. They would have given me a Vectra diesel but no I had to opt out and
>get my beloved Alfa V6. I can hardly appeal for sympathy

That sounds like a good call to me :-)
I know you say that it will be mostly M-way, but every junction,
roundabout, or A road, will remind you why you burn petrol.

Pete

Old May 27th 04, 10:00 PM
Zathras

On Thu, 27 May 2004 19:41:56 GMT, "Tony Rickard"
> wrote:

>Changes in job mean I will double my mileage so a 156 V6 may prove too
>costly. If the figures stack up I may need to consider trading in for a JTD
>at some stage in the future. The 175 bhp 2.4 looks quite appealling,
>especially as the 5 cylinder at least makes an interesting noise.

In 'real world' driving I suspect this motor wouldn't be that far
behind a V6.

>How does the 1.9 16v 140bhp compare? How does it sound and perform?
>
>Also what real world fuel economies are JTD drivers getting bearing in mind
>I will now be doing a lot of motorway miles. The V6 gets into the low
>thirties on a motorway run, low twenties every where else.

I'm never below 40mpg per tank..I drive enthusiastically and mostly
urban so on a motorway, I'd expect a fair bit more. 500 miles per tank
for me.

>I'm still rather old fashioned when it comes to diesels, clattery things
>that run out of revs half way round the rev counter...

********! The rev counter is re-calibrated!! ;-) Ok, the JTD isn't the
quietest motor out there but I prefer it's effortless, grunty roar to
the inaudible whine of a JTS any day. In any case, you will not hear
it at motorway speeds.

Scotland
Alfa Romeo 156 2.4JTD Veloce Leather
'Oil' be seeing you..
(Email without 'Alfa' in subject are auto-deleted..sorry!)
Old May 28th 04, 08:07 AM
Tony Rickard

"Zathras" wrote:

> >Changes in job mean I will double my mileage so a 156 V6 may prove too
> >costly. If the figures stack up I may need to consider trading in for a

JTD
> >at some stage in the future. The 175 bhp 2.4 looks quite appealling,
> >especially as the 5 cylinder at least makes an interesting noise.

> In 'real world' driving I suspect this motor wouldn't be that far
> behind a V6.

True. I read a report on the 147 JTD which had little trouble keeping up
with a 147 GTA except on the really long straight bits. It certainly has
more torque

> >I'm still rather old fashioned when it comes to diesels, clattery things
> >that run out of revs half way round the rev counter...

> ********! The rev counter is re-calibrated!! ;-) Ok, the JTD isn't the
> quietest motor out there but I prefer it's effortless, grunty roar to
> the inaudible whine of a JTS any day. In any case, you will not hear
> it at motorway speeds.

I'll rephrase it then - the rev counter seems to be missing some digits

Grunty roar is good. I like to hear engines (that sound good) so being
quiet is not the criteria. True I don't want a racket on the motorway, but
when I put my foot down on the other roads I like to hear something
purposeful.

Old May 28th 04, 10:46 AM
Frank Lenaerts

"Tony Rickard" > wrote in message
> Changes in job mean I will double my mileage so a 156 V6 may prove too
> costly. If the figures stack up I may need to consider trading in for a

JTD
> at some stage in the future. The 175 bhp 2.4 looks quite appealling,
> especially as the 5 cylinder at least makes an interesting noise.
>
> How does the 1.9 16v 140bhp compare? How does it sound and perform?

Well I had the chance to drive the new 2.0 JTS and the 1.9 JTD 16v a year
ago. Although the JTS looks good on paper, I find it a pretty boring car to
drive with, in comparision with the new diesels. For a diesel, the 16v
sounds pretty good. I haven't had the chance to test drive a 2.4 JTD 20v
yet. But reviews of it are positive. They even compare the engine with
BMW's superb 3.0d (although I'm not a fan of the brand). I can't tell you
how those engines compare to the 2.5 V6, the 20v will come very close I
suspect!

Just go on a test drive, and convince yourself :-)

F.

Old May 28th 04, 11:08 AM
Pyro

Zathras > wrote in message >. ..
> On Thu, 27 May 2004 19:41:56 GMT, "Tony Rickard"
> > wrote:
>
> >Changes in job mean I will double my mileage so a 156 V6 may prove too
> >costly. If the figures stack up I may need to consider trading in for a JTD
> >at some stage in the future. The 175 bhp 2.4 looks quite appealling,
> >especially as the 5 cylinder at least makes an interesting noise.

> In 'real world' driving I suspect this motor wouldn't be that far
> behind a V6.

I should have read this before my other post but anyway....

I just had a drive of the new 156 at Lisles in Hitchin (very
friendly). Absolutely stunning performance and drivability from the
2.4, shame that the handling wasn't quite as taught as it could have
been. Surprisingly the X-type sport felt much sharper, but lost out
badly on the power front.

PyroJames
Ex Lancia Beta 1800, driver.
Old May 28th 04, 06:55 PM
Tanuj Shah

Tony Rickard wrote:

> Also what real world fuel economies are JTD drivers getting bearing in mind
> I will now be doing a lot of motorway miles. The V6 gets into the low
> thirties on a motorway run, low twenties every where else.

My father has the 2.4 JTD - 150bhp version (Euro III). They were all the
same engines I think, just a different ECU map to attract company car
drives with lower CO2 tax bands.

He gets 600 miles with a full 60 litre full tank. That is with the
Climate Control always on and about 80% motorway, 20% fast urban
(moving, not idle much).

> I'm still rather old fashioned when it comes to diesels, clattery things
> that run out of revs half way round the rev counter...

You can tell it's a diesel on idle, but the huge amount of torque makes
it so practical to drive. For someone who does a lot of motorway miles
it makes sense.

HTH, T.