Civic Check Engine Light - Code P1336

Old June 18th 05, 12:47 AM
phelper

Default Civic Check Engine Light - Code P1336

99 Civic EX 5spd, 105k miles

Car drives great. Yesterday the check engine light came on, went to
AutoZone today and they pulled the codes. P1336 (misfire) was the
result.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Old June 18th 05, 05:18 AM
phelper

Did a little research...

At 96,882 mileage, had the Civic 90K service, which includes spark
plugs... I assume the 90k service includes a full tuneup...

Thanks for you help.

Old June 18th 05, 06:23 AM
SoCalMike

phelper wrote:
> 99 Civic EX 5spd, 105k miles
>
> Car drives great. Yesterday the check engine light came on, went to
> AutoZone today and they pulled the codes. P1336 (misfire) was the
> result.
>
> Any suggestions?

ignore it until it comes back? might be a one--time thing. however... at
that mileage youre likely due for a new rotor/distributor cap/plugs, and
possibly wires.

id ignore til next time, then replace the above and see if it shows up
again.
Old June 18th 05, 06:23 AM
SoCalMike

phelper wrote:
> Did a little research...
>
> At 96,882 mileage, had the Civic 90K service, which includes spark
> plugs... I assume the 90k service includes a full tuneup...

which usually doesnt include the rotor, cap, or wires. just plugs
Old June 18th 05, 01:03 PM
phelper

I can't necessarily ignore it until next time, the light is on and has
never gone off. It never reset, you know what I mean?

That kind of chaps my hide... that I pay thru the nose for the 90k
service,and all they do is the plugs? They don't do the wires, rotor,
distributor cap?

Bummer...

Thanks for the advice.

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 22:23:14 -0700, SoCalMike

Old June 18th 05, 02:55 PM
motsco_ _

phelper wrote:
> I can't necessarily ignore it until next time, the light is on and has
> never gone off. It never reset, you know what I mean?
>
> That kind of chaps my hide... that I pay thru the nose for the 90k
> service,and all they do is the plugs? They don't do the wires, rotor,
> distributor cap?
>
> Bummer...
>
> Thanks for the advice.

----------------

One stuck injector could generate a misfire dcode, I think. Have you run
any Techron injector cleaner thru it, or switched to Gasohol for a
while? Has it ever stalled in the morning, before the engine is fully
warmed up, especially at a stop sign or traffic light?

'Curly'

Old June 18th 05, 08:06 PM
SoCalMike

phelper wrote:
> I can't necessarily ignore it until next time, the light is on and has
> never gone off. It never reset, you know what I mean?

they didnt reset the light/clear the code? damn. i bought the actron
OBD2 scanner at pep boys. forget the model, but it was $150 at autozone,
and $99 at pepboys. chump change, considering its good in every single
car built in the past 10 years.

> That kind of chaps my hide... that I pay thru the nose for the 90k
> service,and all they do is the plugs? They don't do the wires, rotor,
> distributor cap?

nah. some cars may never need the wires replaced, ever. my moms 93 mitsu
-built eagle summit went its whole life (115k miles) on the same wires,
cap and rotor. but it never had an idle problem. finally junked the car
because it was beat up, and blew a head gasket.

Old June 21st 05, 04:32 AM
phelper

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 07:55:55 -0600, "motsco_ _" <"motsco_
> wrote:

>phelper wrote:
>> I can't necessarily ignore it until next time, the light is on and has
>> never gone off. It never reset, you know what I mean?
>>
>> That kind of chaps my hide... that I pay thru the nose for the 90k
>> service,and all they do is the plugs? They don't do the wires, rotor,
>> distributor cap?
>>
>> Bummer...
>>
>> Thanks for the advice.
>>

>----------------
>
>One stuck injector could generate a misfire dcode, I think. Have you run
>any Techron injector cleaner thru it, or switched to Gasohol for a
>while? Has it ever stalled in the morning, before the engine is fully
>warmed up, especially at a stop sign or traffic light?
>
>'Curly'

Nope, never stalls... Runs GREAT. My first Japanese car, and it runs
GREAT.

I did notice that while checking the spark plug wires, one did seem to
"snap" back into place...

Not sure if that is the problem, I don't know how to "reset" the
light. Can I do that?

Thanks everyone.
Old June 21st 05, 06:08 AM
disallow via CarKB.com

pull the 'back up' fuse in the fuse panel under the hood for about a minute.
This will reset the computer, and you'll go through a few days where the car
relearns its fuel maps. Make sure you have your radio code before doing this,
I can't remember if the backup fuse makes it reset.

You can also disconnect the battery for a bit. That works too.

Old June 23rd 05, 01:38 AM
phelper

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 05:08:15 GMT, "disallow via CarKB.com"
> wrote:

>pull the 'back up' fuse in the fuse panel under the hood for about a minute.
>This will reset the computer, and you'll go through a few days where the car
>relearns its fuel maps. Make sure you have your radio code before doing this,
>I can't remember if the backup fuse makes it reset.
>
>You can also disconnect the battery for a bit. That works too.

I do have the card with the radio code... How do I enter the code?

Secondly... Does this car have electronic timing? If I replace the
wires, is it as simple as popping the old ones off and plugging in the
new ones? I'm worried that I'll mess the timing up, like on an older
car if I jack with the rotor/distributor...