Sloth Kills Another One

Old March 23rd 06, 03:26 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,ca.driving

Default Sloth Kills Another One

In article >, Scott en Aztlán wrote:
> KTLA is reporting on a collision between a roach coach and a car; the
> car was foced off the freeway, flew off an overpass, and landed
> upside-down on the street below. The driver of the car is, as you
> might imagine, deceased.

When I listen to a couple of different syndicated shows streamed over the
internet from southern CA the traffic reports are just filled with all
sorts of creative collisions. In chicago it's quite rare but it seems
that CHiPs was only a somewhat exaggerated version of what really occurs
out there.

Old March 25th 06, 08:13 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,ca.driving

Brent P wrote:
> In article >, Scott en Aztlán wrote:
>> KTLA is reporting on a collision between a roach coach and a car; the
>> car was foced off the freeway, flew off an overpass, and landed
>> upside-down on the street below. The driver of the car is, as you
>> might imagine, deceased.

> When I listen to a couple of different syndicated shows streamed over the
> internet from southern CA the traffic reports are just filled with all
> sorts of creative collisions. In chicago it's quite rare but it seems
> that CHiPs was only a somewhat exaggerated version of what really occurs
> out there.

You're probably not listening every day.

Crashes don't happen all that often in SoCal - usually one or two per day on
the freeways, if any, and as many freeways and drivers as SoCal has, that's a
pretty low ratio.

Fatal crashes (in particular) happen less than you might think.

I don't know whether KNX/1070 has a live stream (I listen in my car), but
they do traffic every ten minutes on the 5's during rush hour. Listen to them
a couple days in a row and you'll get a better picture of what happens here.

--
Steve Sobol, Professional Geek ** Java/VB/VC/PHP/Perl ** Linux/*BSD/Windows
Apple Valley, CA ** 888.480.4NET (4638) **

Resident of Southern California -
the home of beautiful people and butt-ugly traffic jams
Old March 26th 06, 03:01 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,ca.driving

In article >, Steve Sobol wrote:

> You're probably not listening every day.

Pretty close to every day.

> Crashes don't happen all that often in SoCal - usually one or two per day on
> the freeways, if any, and as many freeways and drivers as SoCal has, that's a
> pretty low ratio.

The traffic reports seem to have all sorts of bizzare traffic situations
frequently. I dunno. just know what's on the streaming radio...

Old March 26th 06, 03:22 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,ca.driving

Brent P wrote:

>> Crashes don't happen all that often in SoCal - usually one or two per day on
>> the freeways, if any, and as many freeways and drivers as SoCal has, that's a
>> pretty low ratio.

> The traffic reports seem to have all sorts of bizzare traffic situations
> frequently. I dunno. just know what's on the streaming radio...

I'll agree there. I personally don't hear about all that many accidents, even
when I listen to Los Angeles radio (and I listen religiously to KNX when
driving back up to the High Desert from San Diego, since IMHO they have the
most comprehensive and most frequent reports). Yes, you probably hear about
accidents more frequently than in other areas, but the city of Los Angeles
alone has a population of over three million people, and many of the
"smaller" outlying cities have over 100,000, and there are hundreds of miles
of freeways here. You just have to put things in perspective.

Old March 26th 06, 09:15 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,ca.driving

In article >, Steve Sobol wrote:

> I'll agree there. I personally don't hear about all that many accidents,

KFI 640 AM and XTRA 570 AM (must not be their real call letters) 570 have
stuff on their traffic reports that is just foreign to someone in
chicago like me. A common one is the disabled car just sitting in the
traffic lane....

Old March 26th 06, 04:18 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,ca.driving

"Brent P" > wrote in message
. ..
> In article >, Steve Sobol wrote:
>
>> I'll agree there. I personally don't hear about all that many accidents,

> KFI 640 AM and XTRA 570 AM (must not be their real call letters) 570 have
> stuff on their traffic reports that is just foreign to someone in
> chicago like me. A common one is the disabled car just sitting in the
> traffic lane....

In all reality, the call letters for XTRA are probably KXTR. There was a
station in the DC Area back in the 80s and early 90s who used XTRA, and
their call letters were WXTR. Going off on a tangent, those call letters
have a pretty interesting history. The WXTR calls were ditched in a format
change, and for quite a while they went unused. Until the WTOP Radio Network
was looking for a relay station in the DC Area, and the WXTR calls were
brought back on 820 AM. However, they were just ditched again when
Bonneville decided to do a big overhaul of the WTOP Network, where the main
frequencies went from 1500 am/820 am/107.7 FM to 103.5 FM/820 AM, and the
WTOP-AM calls which were on 1500 AM (now WTWP-AM) were moved to 820 AM.

Old March 27th 06, 01:43 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,ca.driving

Brent P wrote:
> In article >, Steve Sobol wrote:
>
>> I'll agree there. I personally don't hear about all that many accidents,

> KFI 640 AM and XTRA 570 AM (must not be their real call letters) 570 have

I believe there is an XETRA somewhere in SoCal.

That's a valid Mexican call sign - it may be down in San Diego (the San Diego
Fox TV affiliate, for example, is XETV).

But most likely - XTRA is a brand name...

Old March 27th 06, 01:48 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,ca.driving

Scott en Aztlán wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 12:13:20 -0800, Steve Sobol >
> wrote:
>
>> Crashes don't happen all that often in SoCal - usually one or two per day on
>> the freeways, if any, and as many freeways and drivers as SoCal has, that's a
>> pretty low ratio.

> Upon what evidence do you base this ridiculous statement?

The fact that I don't see much when I look. I check out the CAD site too.

I'm more likely to be concerned with San Bernardino and Riverside counties
than LA and Orange counties, which may make a difference. Or maybe not.

> It's 6:30 AM on Sunday morning as I write this. The CHP Incident page
> http://cad.chp.ca.gov/ is reporting EIGHT traffic collision, including
> one hit-and-run and one possible fatality:

Ok, that proves it's a busy day today. If you happen to be on the net
tomorrow during rush hour (I won't), can you post what you find over there?

I mean, if I'm wrong, I'm wrong. I don't think eight is a typical number.

Old March 27th 06, 03:32 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,ca.driving

In article >, Steve Sobol wrote:

> That's a valid Mexican call sign - it may be down in San Diego (the San Diego
> Fox TV affiliate, for example, is XETV).
>
> But most likely - XTRA is a brand name...

Since they are based in burbank according to the contact-us page, I would
think so.