Head Gasket 98 Neon?

Old July 20th 04, 07:05 PM
Simon Cooke

Default Head Gasket 98 Neon?

Howdy;

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas.

My 1998 Neon has 93,000 miles on it, and the head gasket has now blown for
the third time in a row. This was the first car I bought, and my first ever
Dodge.

The first time was repaired under warranty (32,950 miles)... second time I
had to get it repaired myself at a cost of $799 (85,000 miles).

I just called Dodge / Daimler Chrysler Customer Service and they said - and
I quote - that I was 3 years and about 60,000 miles too late. They also had
no record of my original warranty repair and claimed that "if it was
repaired then the head gasket wouldn't be broken".

I've read on the web that there are "silent recalls/warranty extensions"
for the Dodge Neon line. My experience so far is that no-one at Chrysler
cares or wants to listen.

At this point, all I want is someone to take the head off, resurface it,
and replace it with the new design head that fits correctly. My car should
NOT be dying at this young age - and the head gasket certainly shouldn't
have been a problem THREE times.

I've talked to friends who claim that it's bordering exceedingly close on
being a lemon.

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas? All I want is a car that runs.

Thanks,
Simon
Old July 20th 04, 07:23 PM
55chevy210

http://www.bigclassaction.com/class_...form_neon.html

Old July 20th 04, 07:23 PM
55chevy210

Old July 21st 04, 03:29 AM
Tony Howey

well I would suggest to take it to a machenic that you trust & see what they
say...
I have a a 2001 neon & the brakes squeal from time to time......
good luck !!!!!!

Old July 21st 04, 03:29 AM
Tony Howey

Old July 29th 04, 12:49 PM
Jay McGraw

It all depends on the dealer too. I have a 97, and I had mine replaced at
70k for $100. They told me it was basically a silent recall (TSB).
Chrysler's replacement head gasket is an MLS design (multi layered steel)
and is supposed to cure the problem. I haven't had any problems and I now
have 118k on my car. Maybe yours wasn't replaced with the MLS design first,
and that's why you're having problems. Try talking to different dealers in
your area. The one I bought my car from sucked, but the one that fixed my
head gasket was great...I even ended up getting a job there! If you still
have a receipt from the original repair take it with you. Also check out
Neons.org and see their TSB section.

Good luck!

Jay

www.detroitneonowners.org