OT London

Old July 9th 05, 02:52 PM
Howard Rose

On 7 Jul 2005 13:01:06 -0700, "TerryB" > wrote:

>My heart felt prayers and best wishes to all our friends over in
>London. Hope none of our RAMVA people have been directly touched by
>these Horrible events.

thanks for your support

I've been in france for the last week (olympics - WOOHOO!) and had a
frantic couple of hours on the phone to friends in London. thankfully
they are all ok, but my thoughts are with those who where not so
fortunate.

--
Howard Rose
1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe
Old July 9th 05, 02:52 PM
Howard Rose

On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 19:11:08 -0500, "johnboy" >
wrote:

>"Shag" > wrote in message
.. .

>> My wife and daughter are in the area right now.

>Suggest to your wife that she leave London, go to Oxford via the train. It
>leaves regularly. A short ride. And go to the Turf Tavern there, and visit
>Christ Church, where I went to school. It used to be quite pretty.

Christchurch in the South? Not far from me
Old July 9th 05, 03:32 PM
johnboy

"Howard Rose" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 19:11:08 -0500, "johnboy" >
> wrote:
>
>>"Shag" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> My wife and daughter are in the area right now.

>>Suggest to your wife that she leave London, go to Oxford via the train. It
>>leaves regularly. A short ride. And go to the Turf Tavern there, and visit
>>Christ Church, where I went to school. It used to be quite pretty.
>>

> Christchurch in the South? Not far from me

Christ Church College, Oxford.

Old July 9th 05, 04:25 PM
Eduardo K.

In article >,
John Willis > wrote:

>About the best thing that could be done is to provide some way of
>removing their power. No high oil prices, no power because they'd have
>no money. No money means no way to buy fertilizer for bombs. No bombs
>means no more people dead by idiots.
>
>Simple, really.

Assuming oil is what they get their money out of, which I doubt, the
best way to reduce oil prices is for the US to reduce its usage...

--
Eduardo K. |
http://www.carfun.cl | Freedom's just another word

Old July 9th 05, 07:49 PM
John Willis

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 21:52:05 -0500, "johnboy" >
scribbled this interesting note:

>"John Willis" > wrote in message
.. .

>> About the best thing that could be done is to provide some way of
>> removing their power. No high oil prices, no power because they'd have
>> no money. No money means no way to buy fertilizer for bombs. No bombs
>> means no more people dead by idiots.

>Terrorism is cheap. You are way off the mark.

Yeah, it is cheap...and easy too.

I was talking with a friend, and we came to the agreement that if all
they could do, with that many bombs, in morning rush hour on crowded
mass transit, was kill a few dozen people, then those fellows really
aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer.

--
John Willis

(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)
Old July 9th 05, 08:06 PM
Jan Andersson

John Willis wrote:

> On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 21:52:05 -0500, "johnboy" >
> scribbled this interesting note:
>
> >"John Willis" > wrote in message
> .. .
> >
> >> About the best thing that could be done is to provide some way of
> >> removing their power. No high oil prices, no power because they'd have
> >> no money. No money means no way to buy fertilizer for bombs. No bombs
> >> means no more people dead by idiots.

> >Terrorism is cheap. You are way off the mark.
> >

> Yeah, it is cheap...and easy too.
>
> I was talking with a friend, and we came to the agreement that if all
> they could do, with that many bombs, in morning rush hour on crowded
> mass transit, was kill a few dozen people, then those fellows really
> aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer.

I've been amazed how ineffective most of the bombings have been.
They haven't always even killed people.
I'm sure I could do better. I know explosives and I have some
rudimentary level of common sense.
These terrorists only manage to make themselves look like morons with
dynamite in their drawers.
Someone gave them matches and told them to go blow something up.
Carefully planned? My ass.
The London series of bombings was the first half-decent effort, and even
that failed to some extent.
(Not all their bombs went off.. sheesh.. and how hard is it to kill
dozens of people in a train car with a big damn bomb? Yet they managed
to kill what, half a dozen? I say that one failed too. The only one that
"worked" was the one that took 21 people with it. And don't get me
started on the bus bomb.. two killed? On a fully loaded, 2-story tourist
bus? Pathetic.

With all this said, I feel sorry for the losses and for the families and
loved ones for those who died.
It never should hava happened, even ole loss of life is unacceptable.

My comments on the effect of the bombings are made purely from the
technical point of view
of a military trained explosives expert: they sucked. Bunch of amateurs.

Jan
Old July 9th 05, 09:08 PM
Howard Rose

On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 22:06:32 +0300, Jan Andersson
> wrote:

>of a military trained explosives expert: they sucked. Bunch of amateurs.

but then again, there is the thought that the bombs where not meant to
mass kill...

the IRA used to plant bombs then phone the police/government so they
could evacuate the areas and the blast would only cause damage to
buildings. it's the "we did that... but think of what we COULD do
next time"

the idea is to scare... not mass kill

Old July 9th 05, 09:19 PM
Jan Andersson

Howard Rose wrote:

> On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 22:06:32 +0300, Jan Andersson
> > wrote:
>
> >of a military trained explosives expert: they sucked. Bunch of amateurs.

> but then again, there is the thought that the bombs where not meant to
> mass kill...
>
> the IRA used to plant bombs then phone the police/government so they
> could evacuate the areas and the blast would only cause damage to
> buildings. it's the "we did that... but think of what we COULD do
> next time"
>
> the idea is to scare... not mass kill
>
> --
> Howard Rose
> 1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe
> 1962 Austin Mini Deluxe
> 1964 Austin Mini Super Deluxe
> http://www.howard81.co.uk/ (cars on website)

These terrorists live by "all infidels must be killed". Leaves little
room for interpretation.
And bombing the islamic part of town? I'm sorry, I just don't see any
finesse or detailed planning, or careful execution in it.

If they wanted to avoid killing people, they would have done what IRA
has done for years.
Warn the police and initiate evacuations. Careful planning and skilled
execution would have saved all lives even without warnings. Now it's
just a botched up job that was left to chance. Didn't achieve either
goal.

Jan
Old July 9th 05, 09:22 PM
Anthony W

Jan Andersson wrote:
> These terrorists live by "all infidels must be killed". Leaves little
> room for interpretation.
> And bombing the islamic part of town? I'm sorry, I just don't see any
> finesse or detailed planning, or careful execution in it.
>
> If they wanted to avoid killing people, they would have done what IRA
> has done for years.
> Warn the police and initiate evacuations. Careful planning and skilled
> execution would have saved all lives even without warnings. Now it's
> just a botched up job that was left to chance. Didn't achieve either
> goal.
>
> Jan

On thing they did archive was to increase support for Tony Blair. More
people want to pound on these terrorist than before the attack.

Tony
Old July 9th 05, 09:26 PM
johnboy

"Anthony W" > wrote in message
newsmWze.2478$Zy6.2221@trnddc04...

> On thing they did archive was to increase support for Tony Blair. More
> people want to pound on these terrorist than before the attack.

Conspiracy nutz are already saying that the CIA did it to galvanize the
British to Bush's ways.

London. L.W.(ßill) Hughes III Jeep 74 July 29th 05 02:54 PM
London Olympics Ross Garrett BMW 12 July 7th 05 09:01 PM
London to use intelligent speed traps to catch highway killers Jim Yanik Driving 1 April 14th 05 06:06 PM
Independent BMW garages - London SW moxy BMW 2 March 25th 05 04:34 PM
E39 Police Cars in London [email protected] BMW 32 February 5th 05 11:31 PM