e36 Rear view fell off.

Old June 28th 05, 11:12 AM
Tbird-Steve

Default e36 Rear view fell off.

Wife advised her rear view mirror had fallen off over night. On checking,
there was a hunk of glass broken off the windscreen and still attached to
the mirrow stalk. I'm hoping to super glue it back on. Any other
suggestions, and is this very common? I had parked the car that night and
don't recall being rough with the mirror.

Steve

Old June 28th 05, 12:19 PM
Malt_Hound

Tbird-Steve wrote:
> Wife advised her rear view mirror had fallen off over night. On checking,
> there was a hunk of glass broken off the windscreen and still attached to
> the mirrow stalk. I'm hoping to super glue it back on. Any other
> suggestions, and is this very common? I had parked the car that night and
> don't recall being rough with the mirror.
>
> Steve

The mirror mounts on a small metal tab and is usually held to the tab by
a small setscrew. The tab is the part that is glued to the windshield.
I've heard of the bond of the mirror tab breaking off the glass, but
it's the first I've ever heard of the glass actually breaking. Are you
sure it's tyhe glass and not the glue that was previously used to hold
it? Look to see if the windshield has a pit or hole left behind.

Superglue will not hold it. You'll have to a get a new mirror "tab"
kit, which comes with the appropriate glue and then, if the glass
actually did chip glue the new tab in a slightly different location so
the chip is not under it.

GL,
-Fred W
Old June 28th 05, 08:54 PM
Jeff Strickland

They make a special glue that is similar to super glue, but stronger, that
holds the rear view mirror to the inside of the windshield.

Old June 28th 05, 11:11 PM
Richard Tomkins

Defective windshield.

Old July 1st 05, 06:56 PM
John L Rice

"Tbird-Steve" > wrote in message
> Wife advised her rear view mirror had fallen off over night. On checking,
> there was a hunk of glass broken off the windscreen and still attached to
> the mirrow stalk. I'm hoping to super glue it back on. Any other
> suggestions, and is this very common? I had parked the car that night and
> don't recall being rough with the mirror.
>
> Steve

Does she have a temper? ;-)

If it really did fall off by itself and the glass did come off with it I
would seriously look at replacing the windshield since it could be a hazard.
Check with your insurance company, it may be covered.

--
John L Rice