brakes

Old December 31st 04, 05:31 AM
classicred

Default brakes

Hello.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Im getting ready to put new brake pads on a car but it has disc breaks on
both fron and rear wheels. Not used to that. Always had drums on the back.
Not sure what to do with rear discs and the e-brake on rear disc beraks.
Anybody know of a site with DIY info on installing brake pads on a disc?
Its the other halfs 03 miata if that helps any. Thanks alot.

Old December 31st 04, 12:52 PM
John Ings

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 05:31:45 GMT, "classicred" >
wrote:

>Im getting ready to put new brake pads on a car but it has disc breaks on
>both fron and rear wheels. Not used to that. Always had drums on the back.
>Not sure what to do with rear discs and the e-brake on rear disc beraks.
>Anybody know of a site with DIY info on installing brake pads on a disc?
>Its the other halfs 03 miata if that helps any. Thanks alot.

I don't know about Miatas, but on Hondas where the park brake is
involved with the rear disc brakes, you can't just push the piston
back into the caliper. You have to rotate it clockwise, literally
screwing it back in on the park brake adjuster. The piston has a +
shaped groove in it that allows you to get ahold of it and the pads
that go next to the piston have a projection that fits in that groove.

It's always good to have a shop manual for the car if you're going to
do that sort of work.

Don't forget to use a wire brush on any rust that's hiding under the
pad shims, and put a thin smear of grease there before reassembling.
That's a common cause of pads jamming and rear discs live a hard life
back there in the spray and **** coming up off the road.

Here's a site on Honda discs that may be similar:

http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/Brakes.html#noise

Old December 31st 04, 04:33 PM
Rex B

Your Miata will be the same way. Get a $10 tool from the parts store to
screw them in. Size and shape of a child's block - about 1" cube.

news