4wd rental in Hawaii?

Old December 24th 04, 12:09 AM
John Davies

Default 4wd rental in Hawaii?

Can anyone give me any info on 4wd rental on the Big Island? Here is
what I have found so far:

http://www.harpershawaii.com/4wd.html

They claim to be the only car/ truck rental company that allows rough
road use.

Any pointers or advice? I am planning on a 2 week visit next summer
with my wife and a minimum of touristy gear. A Wrangler or Libby or
similar small SUV would be great. We don't plan on any hard-core stuff
- just nasty roads to beaches and such.

Any links to 4wd roads or destinations on the Big Island?

Thanks. John

John Davies TLCA 14732
http://home.comcast.net/~johnedavies/
'96 Lexus LX450
'00 Audi A4 1.8T quattro
Spokane WA USA
Old December 24th 04, 12:21 AM
DougW

John Davies did pass the time by typing:
> Can anyone give me any info on 4wd rental on the Big Island? Here is
> what I have found so far:
>
> http://www.harpershawaii.com/4wd.html
>
> They claim to be the only car/ truck rental company that allows rough
> road use.
>
> Any pointers or advice? I am planning on a 2 week visit next summer
> with my wife and a minimum of touristy gear. A Wrangler or Libby or
> similar small SUV would be great. We don't plan on any hard-core stuff
> - just nasty roads to beaches and such.
>
> Any links to 4wd roads or destinations on the Big Island?

From my experience on Oahu (Hickam AFB):
Be aware that almost every rental company will deny coverage if you take
one of their vehicles off-road. That includes dirt, gravel or areas
where they have had lava flows. Make sure before you rent and know the
full charges. There are all sorts of crap tax they stuff on the rental
agreement.

--
DougW

Old December 24th 04, 12:26 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

The Cops will give you a bad time, too.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old December 24th 04, 01:51 AM
John Davies

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 18:21:17 -0600, "DougW"
> wrote:

>John Davies did pass the time by typing:

>> http://www.harpershawaii.com/4wd.html

>From my experience on Oahu (Hickam AFB):
>Be aware that almost every rental company will deny coverage if you take
>one of their vehicles off-road. That includes dirt, gravel or areas
>where they have had lava flows. Make sure before you rent and know the
>full charges. There are all sorts of crap tax they stuff on the rental
>agreement.

Well, I understand your warning, but according to their home page
Harper's DOES allow off-road or rough road use. And the Big Island
travel guide I have been reading also says that...... This is from
Harper's website:

"Mauna Kea Summit: Harper Car and Truck Rental is the only vehicle
company on the island that allows 4 wheel drive rentals to be driven
on Route 200 (the Saddle Road) and up to the top of Mauna Kea,
elevation: 13,800 feet!

The Volcano: Access to many remote locations to view various lava
flows, caves, etc., and Kalapana Beach, Hawaii's famous black sand
beach which was covered by one of the latest lava flows, requires a 4
wheel drive vehicle.

Hunting, Fishing, and Hiking: The Big Island of Hawaii is known for
its secluded fishing spots, remote hunting areas, and beautiful hiking
trails. Use our 4 wheel drives to get access to Hawaii's unmapped
plentiful fishing locations and off-road access points for hunting and
hiking.

Bird Watching; Many tour groups and individuals use our 4 wheel drives
to venture into remote areas to observe rare birds and animals."

All that sure seems to indicate that they want you to get off the
pavement! They even used the "off-road" word.

I have emailed them for rates and additional info. I will post what I
learn here.

Old December 24th 04, 02:24 AM
Nick

I wouldn't do 13,800 feet unless you gave yourself a couple days at
increasingly higher altitude...
Nick

--
http://members.cox.net/nnote/

Old December 24th 04, 02:59 AM
SteveBrady

Sure THEY may allow it...but their insurance company isn't going to pay for
damages that you might incur while being off the beaten track!

Which means it falls to your credit card for coverage (of which they don't
cover offhighway use) or your personal insurance (ditto...unless
specified)....

Not that I haven't done it....but be aware of who's paying what before you
go through the tuff stuff!

DIY Rental bays disallow Honda 8 March 18th 07 04:13 AM
Chrysler 300C rental car in Canada? Uwe Schwertfeger Chrysler 22 January 6th 05 09:15 PM