How to temporary chill a car with non-working AC.

Old September 24th 04, 11:52 PM
James C. Reeves

"Threeducks" > wrote in message

| A system does not contain "heat". Heat is simply a method of
| transfering energy between the system and it's surroundings.

I thought that *any* material with a temperature above "absolute zero" contains
"heat".

Old September 25th 04, 12:00 AM
James C. Reeves

"Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in message
n.umich.edu...
| On Fri, 24 Sep 2004, Kathy and Erich Coiner wrote:
|
| > > An air conditioner generates neither heat nor cold. All it does is *move*
| > > heat.
|
| > But it moves the energy at less than 100% efficiency. That means there is
| > some extra work that shows up as heat.
|
| Sure, but the fact remains, an aircon does not "generate" heat or cold.
|
| > You have a closed,well insulated room with a refrigerator in it. It is
| > running and you hold the door open. What happens to the air temp in the
| > room?
|
| Of course the ambient temp increases.
|
| Now here's a fun one: It is common knowledge that there is no such thing
| as a 100 percent efficient machine. Given that, consider an electric space
| heater with a 20-foot electric cord and a high-speed motor-driven blower.
| Is the efficiency of such a device 100 percent, or some lesser figure?
| Support your answer.

No for several reasons:

o Losses in the generation of electricity at the power plant
o Losses due to electrical transmission line losses between the
generator and the heater
o Losses in step-down transformers along the electrical
transmission route.
o Losses at each connection point, switch/fuse/breaker

Old September 25th 04, 12:18 AM
Max

Daniel J. Stern wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Sep 2004, motsco_ _ wrote:
>

>>An air conditioner generates more HEAT than COLD

> An air conditioner generates neither heat nor cold. All it does is *move*
> heat.

It does naturally generate heat due to the energy lost in moving the
energy in the hot air.

Otherwise it would consume almost zero watts...
Old September 25th 04, 01:50 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004, James C. Reeves wrote:

> | Now here's a fun one: It is common knowledge that there is no such thing
> | as a 100 percent efficient machine. Given that, consider an electric space
> | heater with a 20-foot electric cord and a high-speed motor-driven blower.
> | Is the efficiency of such a device 100 percent, or some lesser figure?
> | Support your answer.
>
> No for several reasons:
>
> o Losses in the generation of electricity at the power plant
> o Losses due to electrical transmission line losses between the
> generator and the heater
> o Losses in step-down transformers along the electrical
> transmission route.
> o Losses at each connection point, switch/fuse/breaker

"No" is not a valid answer; the question is not of the yes/no variety.
Also, we're talking about efficiency at converting the electricity *at the
wall socket* into heat.
Old September 25th 04, 01:51 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004, James C. Reeves wrote:

> | On Wed, 22 Sep 2004, Burt Squareman wrote:
> |
> | > The A/C system in an `89 old Honda is completely dead.

> | Find and get an automotive swamp cooler. They were popular before car A/C
> | became common.

> Swamp coolers are relatively ineffective

So are clapped-out '89 Hondas. Perfect match.

Old September 25th 04, 02:15 AM
James C. Reeves

"Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in message
n.umich.edu...
| On Fri, 24 Sep 2004, James C. Reeves wrote:

| > |
| > | On Wed, 22 Sep 2004, Burt Squareman wrote:
| > |

| > | Find and get an automotive swamp cooler. They were popular before car A/C
| > | became common.
|
| > Swamp coolers are relatively ineffective
|
| So are clapped-out '89 Hondas. Perfect match.

Good point! ;-)

Old September 25th 04, 04:27 AM
Fifty Hertz

"James C. Reeves" > wrote >

I thought that *any* material with a temperature above "absolute zero"
contains
> "heat".

Except for my ex-wife.

Old September 25th 04, 08:03 PM
Leon

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 03:54:20 GMT, "Kathy and Erich Coiner"
> wrote:

>This is a thought problem we sometimes give to mechanical engineering job
>applicants.
>
>You have a closed,well insulated room with a refrigerator in it. It is
>running and you hold the door open.
>What happens to the air temp in the room?
>
>Erich

If you let the condensate down the drain instead of evaporating inside
the room, you have the most efficient heater.

Bye,
Leon
Old September 25th 04, 08:49 PM
Leon

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 19:18:42 -0400, Max > wrote:

>Daniel J. Stern wrote:
>> On Thu, 23 Sep 2004, motsco_ _ wrote:
>>

>>>An air conditioner generates more HEAT than COLD

>> An air conditioner generates neither heat nor cold. All it does is *move*
>> heat.
>>

>It does naturally generate heat due to the energy lost in moving the
>energy in the hot air.
>
>Otherwise it would consume almost zero watts...

No, the a/c is a heat pump. Think about it as a pump pumping water
between two tanks. It takes energy to pump water up to the higher
tank. The pump is also inefficient.

Bye,
Leon
Old September 25th 04, 09:55 PM
Randolph

"James C. Reeves" wrote:

> "Threeducks" > wrote in message
> |
> | A system does not contain "heat". Heat is simply a method of
> | transfering energy between the system and it's surroundings.
>
> I thought that *any* material with a temperature above "absolute zero" contains
> "heat".

No, a material can not contain heat. Heat, as Threeducks said, applies
only to thermal energy in transit. From Halliday / Resnick: Fundamentals
of Physics, 3rd edition, Wiley 1988:

Page 464: "Heat is energy that flows between a system and its
environment by virtue of a temperature difference that exists between
them"

Page 465: "Both heat and work represents energy-in-transit between a
system and its environment. Heat and work, unlike temperature, pressure
and volume, are not intrinsic properties of a system. They have meaning
only as they describe energy transfers into or out of a system, adding
or subtracting from the system's store of internal energy. (...) It is
without meaning to say: "This system contains 450 J of heat" or "This
system contains 385 J of work""