Modifying a BMW Z3

Old March 30th 07, 10:29 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Rick Hunter

Default Modifying a BMW Z3

Greetings all

Does anyone have any idea as to modifying Bimmers?

FWIW, I have '97 Z3 1.9 4cyl. It's prob worth about $15K (Australian),
and I'm not in the position to upgrade to a newer car anytime soon, as
I'll likely be going overseas in the next 2 years.

Also, sad as it sounds, I've had it since new & have a lot of memories
with the old girl, so whilst the most sensible thing would be to throw
another $10K at it & trade up to the 2.8 6cyl... i've started thinking
about keeping her, and may be modifying it.

Performance-wise, it's a 136hp engine stock, so ideally I'd like to
get about 30% more power. Would this be achievable with simple mods
like a cold air intake, extractor/exhaust work, & ECU remapping?

I'm open to suggestions - I've read/heard a lot of differing
opinions on how much/little that can be done for this engine?

I'm not too keen on forced induction - I've believe there is a
supercharger kit for this engine - as it would create some insurance
hassles; but nonetheless may consider it

Handling wise I was interested in looking uprgrading the springs &
perhaps shock absorbers. I'd also like an opinion on the usefulness of
fitting sway bars/urethane bushes.

I'm not looking at taking the car to the track, just want it to handle
a bit better

Opinions/suggestions?

TIA

Old March 30th 07, 11:35 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
adder1969

On Mar 30, 10:29 am, Rick Hunter > wrote:
> Greetings all
> I'm not looking at taking the car to the track, just want it to handle
> a bit better
>
> Opinions/suggestions?

Surely whatever you do to the engine that's enough for 30% more power
you'll run into insurance problems? Supercharger would be most
effective, otherwise see if you can get a cheap 2.5 or 2.8 engine and
gearbox for it.

I don't know what diff you have on yours but you might be able to find
a higher ratio one.

Handling-wise I've always been happy with eibach pro-kits and uprated
shocks. The ride and cornering went up on my 325.

Old March 30th 07, 03:49 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
grinder

Try:

http://www.dinancars.com/Series.asp?...e%20Tuning#993

You can probably send for their products and have a local mech install them.

Old March 30th 07, 07:18 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
E Brown

Your best bet would be to ask in the Z3 forum at
www.bimmerforums.com - it's the most active Z3 forum I know.
My own advice would be to have the cylinder head polished and
ported, add some cams, and if possible switch the differential. These
are typically good "bang for the buck" mods if you don't want to go
with forced induction.
epbrown
--
How can you know where I'm at if you haven't been where I been?
Can you see where I'm coming from? "How I Could Just Kill A Man" Cypress Hill
Old March 30th 07, 10:32 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Fred W

Rick Hunter wrote:
> Greetings all
>
> Does anyone have any idea as to modifying Bimmers?
>
> FWIW, I have '97 Z3 1.9 4cyl. It's prob worth about $15K (Australian),
> and I'm not in the position to upgrade to a newer car anytime soon, as
> I'll likely be going overseas in the next 2 years.
>
> Also, sad as it sounds, I've had it since new & have a lot of memories
> with the old girl, so whilst the most sensible thing would be to throw
> another $10K at it & trade up to the 2.8 6cyl... i've started thinking
> about keeping her, and may be modifying it.
>
> Performance-wise, it's a 136hp engine stock, so ideally I'd like to
> get about 30% more power. Would this be achievable with simple mods
> like a cold air intake, extractor/exhaust work, & ECU remapping?
>
> I'm open to suggestions - I've read/heard a lot of differing
> opinions on how much/little that can be done for this engine?
>
> I'm not too keen on forced induction - I've believe there is a
> supercharger kit for this engine - as it would create some insurance
> hassles; but nonetheless may consider it
>
> Handling wise I was interested in looking uprgrading the springs &
> perhaps shock absorbers. I'd also like an opinion on the usefulness of
> fitting sway bars/urethane bushes.
>
> I'm not looking at taking the car to the track, just want it to handle
> a bit better
>
> Opinions/suggestions?
>
> TIA

Rick,

Performance wise, there is nothing that you could do for that car that
would give you as big a bang for the buck as a supercharger. The really
beauty part of forced induction is that you can still get the gas
mileage of your 1.9 liter engine if you keep your right foot out of it,
but get the performance of the 2.5 liter when you mash it.

The suspension of the stock Z3 is pretty darn good IMO, maybe just
refresh the dampers (shocks) and any bushings or ball joints if needed
due to mileage (you don't mention what you have on her). I don't think
putting heavier springs or lowering springs on a Z3 does much beyond
aesthetics.

--
-Fred W
Old March 30th 07, 10:35 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Fred W

grinder wrote:
> Try:
>
> http://www.dinancars.com/Series.asp?...e%20Tuning#993
>
> You can probably send for their products and have a local mech install them.

As he old saying goes: You can buy better, but you can't spend less...

--
-Fred W
Old April 2nd 07, 11:49 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Rick Hunter

On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 17:32:25 -0400, Fred W >
wrote:

>Rick Hunter wrote:
>> Greetings all
>>
>> Does anyone have any idea as to modifying Bimmers?
>>
>> FWIW, I have '97 Z3 1.9 4cyl. It's prob worth about $15K (Australian),
>> and I'm not in the position to upgrade to a newer car anytime soon, as
>> I'll likely be going overseas in the next 2 years.
>>
>> Also, sad as it sounds, I've had it since new & have a lot of memories
>> with the old girl, so whilst the most sensible thing would be to throw
>> another $10K at it & trade up to the 2.8 6cyl... i've started thinking
>> about keeping her, and may be modifying it.
>>
>> Performance-wise, it's a 136hp engine stock, so ideally I'd like to
>> get about 30% more power. Would this be achievable with simple mods
>> like a cold air intake, extractor/exhaust work, & ECU remapping?
>>
>> I'm open to suggestions - I've read/heard a lot of differing
>> opinions on how much/little that can be done for this engine?
>>
>> I'm not too keen on forced induction - I've believe there is a
>> supercharger kit for this engine - as it would create some insurance
>> hassles; but nonetheless may consider it
>>
>> Handling wise I was interested in looking uprgrading the springs &
>> perhaps shock absorbers. I'd also like an opinion on the usefulness of
>> fitting sway bars/urethane bushes.
>>
>> I'm not looking at taking the car to the track, just want it to handle
>> a bit better
>>
>> Opinions/suggestions?
>>
>> TIA

>Rick,
>
>Performance wise, there is nothing that you could do for that car that
>would give you as big a bang for the buck as a supercharger. The really
>beauty part of forced induction is that you can still get the gas
>mileage of your 1.9 liter engine if you keep your right foot out of it,
>but get the performance of the 2.5 liter when you mash it.
>
>The suspension of the stock Z3 is pretty darn good IMO, maybe just
>refresh the dampers (shocks) and any bushings or ball joints if needed
>due to mileage (you don't mention what you have on her). I don't think
>putting heavier springs or lowering springs on a Z3 does much beyond
>aesthetics.

Thanks for everyones suggestions. Spending a day or two, I was
surprised, as I managed to find almost 10 shops in Sydney to get the
mods done. And there are a couple of great US Bimmer forums.

With my dealings on email & phone, the two that stood out were Peak
Performance & Bavariacars - the others ranged from not too helpful
(but not rude) to brutally honest (in terms of what to expect) - the
latter I respect, but I think too negative.

What have I decided? Well, the more I think about it - the more I
realize, I'm gonna do what I usually do... find an expensive solution
to a cheap problem ;-)

Air intake/extractors/chip/exhaust for now... and supercharger in the
next 6 months :-))

Should hopefully be good for good for around 200-220hp...

The suspension - prolly bilstein shocks & eibach springs when I save
more... I'm not sure if I should keep the 16inch wheels or go to 17s?

Old April 2nd 07, 02:02 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
adder1969

On Apr 2, 11:49 am, Rick Hunter > wrote:

> What have I decided? Well, the more I think about it - the more I
> realize, I'm gonna do what I usually do... find an expensive solution
> to a cheap problem ;-)

You said it!

Modifying a BMW Z3 Rick Hunter Technology 2 April 3rd 07 05:36 AM
Modifying a BMW Z3 Rick Hunter General 2 March 30th 07 06:30 PM
Modifying a BMW Z3 Rick Hunter Driving 1 March 30th 07 05:17 PM
Modifying a VW for the postapokalyptic future .... Robin-Louis Clevis VW air cooled 16 December 29th 05 11:25 PM
Modifying a TB setup with larger injectors??? AndyW 4x4 11 September 5th 04 06:41 PM