Spare tire stuck.

Old March 9th 05, 04:03 AM
Michael Pardee

"Lawrence Glickman" > wrote in message
> On 8 Mar 2005 07:49:13 -0800, wrote:
>
>>Larry:
>>What are you doing out of the MS reservation?

> The Night Nurse wasn't at her desk and I sneaked out of the ward for a
> while.

Ooh, I hate that Nurse Ratchet *so* much!

Mike

Old March 9th 05, 12:54 PM

In the 1991 Civic if you have the spare upside down, it will bounce all
over
the cavity under the rear deck. Very noisy. On a rough road it sounds
like
tjhe rear end is falling off.
Terry

Old March 9th 05, 07:42 PM
Backbone

"Tim Zimmerman" > wrote in message
> I just had a flat tire. I get out, open the Civic trunk and find a spare tire,

> jack and a lug wrench. Then I reach inside to grab the spare tire, it's stuck.
> Somehow the tire is bolted down with some kind of a rabbit ear nut. No
> matter how hard I try to twist it, the rabbit ears will not move.
>
> This was my scenario last night when I had to walk home two miles just
> to get a monkey wrench to twist the rabbit ears. If this were your car how
> would you do it differently?

My vehicles. "Rite off the bat" I'd have a tool box in my ****in trunk.

Ask me why the hell would anyone carry a friggen toolbox in ones trunk? Duh, to
prevent stupid **** like this from ever occurring!

Hypothetical question: It's Saturday Morning you have just broke down somewhere
in the Arizona Desert. Road map indicates that there is a town just 2 miles
ahead. Town contains: A restaurant, one motel, a towing facility and an auto
parts store that's open 7 days a week. The Auto parts store sells how-to-books
and rents tools. There is an auto repair facility 50+ miles away that's open 5
days a week and closed on weekends you have no tools, no experience as an auto
mechanic. And you need to be in California 300 miles away by Monday morning!

What do you do next, what's the scenario that follows?

--
Remove *flaps* to reply

Old March 9th 05, 11:25 PM
Michael Pardee

"Backbone" > wrote in message >
Hypothetical question: It's Saturday Morning you have just broke down
somewhere
> in the Arizona Desert. Road map indicates that there is a town just 2
> miles
> ahead. Town contains: A restaurant, one motel, a towing facility and an
> auto
> parts store that's open 7 days a week. The Auto parts store sells
> how-to-books
> and rents tools. There is an auto repair facility 50+ miles away that's
> open 5
> days a week and closed on weekends you have no tools, no experience as an
> auto
> mechanic. And you need to be in California 300 miles away by Monday
> morning!
>
> What do you do next, what's the scenario that follows?

Step one: don't try to walk to the town. As a Zonie for the last 30 years,
I've learned that much. Stay with the car until help comes, one way or
another. Drinking water is more important than a tool box. Shade is more
important than water.

True story.... 27 years ago we were on a family vacation when the timing
belt failed on our Mercury Capri, Sunday morning between Palmdale and
Lancaster in the California high desert... a day's travel from home. I had a
tool box and Chilton's manual. A good samaritan took me to a gas station
where I called around and found a store with a timing belt. Then he took me
there and to our car (thanks eternally, Mr. Horn, wherever you are!) The
engine was non-interference and the crank pulley didn't have to come off to
get the cover off, so we were back on our way a few hours later. There *is*
a God!

Mike

Old March 10th 05, 04:23 AM
MAT

> I always keep a few basic tools, like channel-lock plyers, few
> screwdrivers, and a DMM in each of my vehicles. Never know when you'll
> need them. these few tools will pack nice and easily in a bag, and can
> go wither inside the spare, or under one of the seats. "Be Prepaired"

Once I read in the group that x-mm socket/wrench is the most common in
Hondas. Does someone remember that value? (As in 9mm, 12mm.)

Old March 10th 05, 05:30 AM
Nick Huckaby

"MAT" > wrote

> Once I read in the group that x-mm socket/wrench is the most common in
> Hondas. Does someone remember that value? (As in 9mm, 12mm.)

You can bascially take any Honda apart with:

a) 1 - 8mm socket
b) 1 - 10mm socket
c) 1 - 12mm socket
d) 1 - 14mm socket
e) 1 - 17mm socket
f) 1 - 19mm socket
g) 1 -13/16" or 5/8"socket for plugs

a) 1 - 8mm box wrench
b) 1 - 10mm box wrench
c) 1 - 12mm box wrench
d) 1 - 14mm box wrench
e) 1 - 17mm box wrench
f) 1 - 19mm box wrench
g) 1 - philips screw driver
h) 1 - lobe of a brain

--
Huckaby

Old March 10th 05, 05:41 AM
Nick Huckaby

"Michael Pardee" > wrote

> True story.... 27 years ago we were on a family vacation when the timing
> belt failed on our Mercury Capri, Sunday morning between Palmdale and
> Lancaster in the California high desert... a day's travel from home. I had a
> tool box and Chilton's manual. A good samaritan took me to a gas station
> where I called around and found a store with a timing belt. Then he took me
> there and to our car (thanks eternally, Mr. Horn, wherever you are!) The
> engine was non-interference and the crank pulley didn't have to come off to
> get the cover off, so we were back on our way a few hours later. There *is*
> a God!
> Mike

Wow, people a really nice 27 years ago. My parents Cutlass's fuel pump cuts
out in Lancaster at 3AM in 1998. The car was towed to a downtown repair center.
My parents spoke little English and the drifters in the streets were eying them.
Miraculously, a good Samaritan, of their age, gave them a ride to his place to
have tea and make a phone call. There is a God today, but "don't count on it." I'll let
my parents stick with their 270K-mi Honda for now which never cuts out on them.

I notice the word Samaritan is capitalized. This must've been an actual person. :-)

Old March 10th 05, 05:42 AM
Nick Huckaby

"K`Tetch" > wrote

> I always keep a few basic tools, like channel-lock plyers, few
> screwdrivers, and a DMM in each of my vehicles. Never know when you'll
> need them. these few tools will pack nice and easily in a bag, and can
> go wither inside the spare, or under one of the seats. "Be Prepaired"

I wanted my wife to carry these basic tools but she insist that a cell
phone works just as well. Doesn't make sense when there are
regions where cell phone receptions don't work