AWD Prob?? (2002 Grand Caravan)

Old January 8th 05, 11:49 PM
PT_Sean

Default AWD Prob?? (2002 Grand Caravan)

25,000 kms on her.

The first snow fall last year (first winter that I had it), my ass end spun
around on a snowy day, scaring the heck out of me. So I went to an empty
lot and learnt how do control that a bit better.

This winter, I got stuck on a slight slope, thought that odd. So I went to
another snowy lot, tried a few hard turns, and there is NO evidence that the
rear wheels spun AT ALL!! I think my AWD is not AWD'ing.

I guess I can jack up the van and do a few tests, seems risky. I will take
it in under warranty Tuesday.

OR, am I missing something? Can't find a fuse, the lube does not have to be
changed, maybe topped up (service guide says change at 24000 kms IF usage is
severe, I don't think mine is).

Ideas?

Old January 9th 05, 06:08 AM
Punch

"PT_Sean" > wrote in message
> 25,000 kms on her.
>
> The first snow fall last year (first winter that I had it), my ass end
> spun
> around on a snowy day, scaring the heck out of me. So I went to an empty
> lot and learnt how do control that a bit better.
>
> This winter, I got stuck on a slight slope, thought that odd. So I went
> another snowy lot, tried a few hard turns, and there is NO evidence that
> the
> rear wheels spun AT ALL!! I think my AWD is not AWD'ing.
>
> I guess I can jack up the van and do a few tests, seems risky. I will
> take
> it in under warranty Tuesday.
>
> OR, am I missing something? Can't find a fuse, the lube does not have to
> be
> changed, maybe topped up (service guide says change at 24000 kms IF usage
> is
> severe, I don't think mine is).
>
> Ideas?

yep, its awd, not 4wd, think subaru, power to the wheels that grip, so if 3
wheels don't grip they get no power.

Old January 9th 05, 06:08 AM
Punch

Old January 12th 05, 04:40 AM
Joe

"Punch" > wrote in message

> "PT_Sean" > wrote in message
>> 25,000 kms on her.
>>
>> The first snow fall last year (first winter that I had it), my ass end
>> spun
>> around on a snowy day, scaring the heck out of me. So I went to an empty
>> lot and learnt how do control that a bit better.
>>
>> This winter, I got stuck on a slight slope, thought that odd. So I went
>> another snowy lot, tried a few hard turns, and there is NO evidence that
>> the
>> rear wheels spun AT ALL!! I think my AWD is not AWD'ing.
>>
>> I guess I can jack up the van and do a few tests, seems risky. I will
>> take
>> it in under warranty Tuesday.
>>
>> OR, am I missing something? Can't find a fuse, the lube does not have to
>> be
>> changed, maybe topped up (service guide says change at 24000 kms IF usage
>> is
>> severe, I don't think mine is).
>>
>> Ideas?

> yep, its awd, not 4wd, think subaru, power to the wheels that grip, so if
> 3 wheels don't grip they get no power.

You wish! It's the most low-tech thing on earth. They will spin, and there's
nothing in the system that should kill it when you're going forward. It does
have an overrunning clutch in it that causes it to not work in reverse, and
some rube golberg dog clutch to re-engage it in reverse (they should have
left all that off).

Here's what I did years ago; when it slows, see if you can make the rear
tires spin while somebody else watches. Jack up the front and see if the
rear will push it off the jacks. Or, with the engine off, in park, jack up
the rear and roll the rear tire. It should roll free going one way, and you
should have to fight the viscous clutch going the other way.

Old January 14th 05, 12:49 AM
PT_Sean

"Joe" > wrote in message ...

> You wish! It's the most low-tech thing on earth. They will spin, and

there's
> nothing in the system that should kill it when you're going forward. It

does
> have an overrunning clutch in it that causes it to not work in reverse,

and
> some rube golberg dog clutch to re-engage it in reverse (they should have
> left all that off).
>
> Here's what I did years ago; when it slows, see if you can make the rear
> tires spin while somebody else watches. Jack up the front and see if the
> rear will push it off the jacks. Or, with the engine off, in park, jack up
> the rear and roll the rear tire. It should roll free going one way, and

you
> should have to fight the viscous clutch going the other way.

I took it to the dealer, under warranty, they jacked it up and confirmed
that all 4 spun while off the ground. Service dude said that they applied
resistance and it still tried to spin (not sure WTF they did for that!).
Wrote "Working fine" on the work order.

My in-law had a Ford Aerostar and could NOT get one tire to spin if he
tried! It was/is an electronic AWD and it appeared to work by removing
drive to the slipping wheel and xfer the drive to the others. This Chrysler
is probably all viscous coupling with no locker in the transfer
case/transfer unit.

I know that this is NOT working the way it once did.

Bummer

2002 Audi S8 - A6 Questions LIW Audi 2 November 14th 04 06:38 PM
Computer for 2002 Dodge Neon SE Tom Rogers Chrysler 2 November 5th 04 02:22 AM
Mystery spark plugs in 2002 stratus Alan Wedin Dodge 8 June 19th 04 02:29 PM