Low Fuel Indicator

Old April 5th 06, 01:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Default Low Fuel Indicator

On my 03 Ion,it seems the low fuel chimes on earlier than it
should,can it malfuntion that much?.Maybe needs a factory re set?.
Old April 5th 06, 01:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 00:04:28 GMT, teem > wrote:

>On my 03 Ion,it seems the low fuel chimes on earlier than it
>should,can it malfuntion that much?.Maybe needs a factory re set?.

Might want to post what is 'early'.

hth,

tom @ www.NoCostAds.com

Old April 6th 06, 01:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 20:23:30 -0400, Tom The Great >
wrote:

>On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 00:04:28 GMT, teem > wrote:
>
>>On my 03 Ion,it seems the low fuel chimes on earlier than it
>>should,can it malfuntion that much?.Maybe needs a factory re set?.

>Might want to post what is 'early'.
>
>hth,
>
>tom @ www.NoCostAds.com

well,i'm going to post when should it go off?.less than a gallon in
the tank?.
Old April 6th 06, 03:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

In article >, sturg57
@sbcglobal.net says...
> On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 20:23:30 -0400, Tom The Great >
> wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 00:04:28 GMT, teem > wrote:
> >
> >>On my 03 Ion,it seems the low fuel chimes on earlier than it
> >>should,can it malfuntion that much?.Maybe needs a factory re set?.

> >Might want to post what is 'early'.
> >
> >hth,
> >
> >tom @ www.NoCostAds.com

> well,i'm going to post when should it go off?.less than a gallon in
> the tank?.

There is no way the fuel gage can read that little amount of fuel nor
can your car stay running on that amount. Are you trying to destroy your
fuel pump as quickly as possible? The best and safest time to fill you
gas tank is when it reaches a quarter of a tank, not at an eighth of a
tank. No such thing as an early indicator from what I've seen. I'm
guessing yours goes off after a quarter tank has been reached.
Old April 6th 06, 05:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Mine goes off much later that 1/8th of a tank in my ION3.

Old April 6th 06, 05:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

According to my manual...

"When the low fuel message is displayed, you may have less than 1.5 gallons
of fuel left."

Old April 7th 06, 08:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

On Thu, 6 Apr 2006 00:43:11 -0400, "Ray Cassick \(Home\)"
> wrote:

>According to my manual...
>
>"When the low fuel message is displayed, you may have less than 1.5 gallons
>of fuel left."

Looks like "may" might be the factor here. I personally don't like
letting my tank get down too low, 1/4 tank I refill. But this is a
personal choice.

later,

tom @ www.CarFleaMarket.com

Old April 8th 06, 02:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Oh I agree.. I hate to let it get too low too, just stating what the manual
says.

Old April 8th 06, 04:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

My L200 has less than a gallon when the chime goes off. And yes, it will
run on until there is no gas. OH, and BTW, low fuel has NOTHING to do with
fuel pump life. The fuel pumps are a simple gearotor style pump and will
run practically forever even without ANY gas in them. They are cooled by
the gas running THROUGH them, not by the gas AROUND them. I've heard these
lines of thinking before and there's just nothing to them. I've seen
electric in tank pumps last 20,000 miles and I've seen them last 300,000
miles. As a matter of fact we have 2 trucks (out of the 33) where I work
that both have 300,000 + miles and they both have the original fuel pumps.
We never gas the trucks until they are empty. I personally have never
filled ANY car of my own until it was empty and I've NEVER had a fuel pump
failure.

--
Steve Barker

Old April 8th 06, 04:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Think what you want, but there are good reasons not to run the fuel too low
(outside the obvious of the higher possibility of running out of fuel),
including premature in tank fuel pump failure (which you do not agree with)
and vapor condensation during cooler winter months.

Bob

"Steve Barker LT" > wrote in message
> My L200 has less than a gallon when the chime goes off. And yes, it will
> run on until there is no gas. OH, and BTW, low fuel has NOTHING to do with
> fuel pump life. ...

Ping Tigger: case study on rear O2 sensor and fuel trim Stephen H Honda 0 December 24th 05 06:37 AM
Starting Problems McNick Jeep 12 October 1st 05 03:58 AM
98 concorde starting problems xmirage2kx Chrysler 90 August 21st 05 04:32 AM
Failed Smog Check 1981 Trans AM TheSmogTech Technology 0 January 30th 05 05:16 PM
In-the-tank fuel pumps cause death and destruction Silver Surfer Chrysler 293 November 7th 04 04:41 PM