Pressure plate

Old November 22nd 04, 08:23 PM
David

Default Pressure plate

I am putting a new Mexican engine in my wife's buggy, I removed the old engine, clutch and pressure plate. looking at
the pressure plate it is an F&S plate, my wife always complained about how hard the clutch was to push, is anyone
familiar with this type of pressure plate ? it doesn't look like a stock one with the "fingers" . would a stock one be
easier to push? this is for a 68 swingaxle.
Dave

Old November 22nd 04, 09:09 PM
Peter

It may not be so much the clutch pressure plate but the the mechanisms that
operate it. The clutch was made much softer, during the 1974 model year,
when VW increased the length of the operating arm at the gearbox end.
Unfortunately this arm cannot be retro fit to a 68 model, only back as far
as early 72 models.

news

Old November 22nd 04, 09:21 PM
Speedy Jim

David wrote:

> I am putting a new Mexican engine in my wife's buggy, I removed the old engine, clutch and pressure plate. looking at
> the pressure plate it is an F&S plate, my wife always complained about how hard the clutch was to push, is anyone
> familiar with this type of pressure plate ? it doesn't look like a stock one with the "fingers" . would a stock one be
> easier to push? this is for a 68 swingaxle.
> Dave

Un-related to "easier to push", whatever pressure plate you use,
it must have the central "thrust ring" to mate with the old-style
throwout bearing in the '68 tranny.
Just a "heads up".

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/
Old November 23rd 04, 12:13 AM
Peter

Just realised that there is a way to soften the clutch on a 68. You need to
use the clutch arm from a domestic Mexican Bug (not the 78-86 Export model).
This will be a straight fit on the smaller cross shaft. I am not sure what
combination of clutch cable and guide you would need to use, though.