Chrysler (Dodge) 9.25 differential - anybody been inside of one???

Old February 14th 04, 04:38 AM
Ron M.

Default Chrysler (Dodge) 9.25 differential - anybody been inside of one???

I have a 2WD 2002 RAM1500 truck, with a plain open differential, and I
plan to install a PowerTrax No-Slip. In most cases, these are really
easy to install - you can do it yourself in less than an hour. Again,
that's "in most cases."

The web site is at http://www.powertrax.com/noslip.htm

I'm wondering, though, if my truck is included in that "most." I've
seen the sample instructions online, but they're for a Dana. I have
good mechanical skills, but I've never been inside a differential
before. Would anyone happen to have any experience with the Chrysler
9.25" rear they could share with me? It's the 6-sided one, with 12
bolts.

Many thanks,
Ron M.
Old February 15th 04, 02:43 AM
Bret Chase

On 13 Feb 2004 19:38:53 -0800, (Ron M.) wrote:

>:|I have a 2WD 2002 RAM1500 truck, with a plain open differential, and I
>:|plan to install a PowerTrax No-Slip. In most cases, these are really
>:|easy to install - you can do it yourself in less than an hour. Again,
>:|that's "in most cases."
>:|
>:|The web site is at
http://www.powertrax.com/noslip.htm
>:|
>:|I'm wondering, though, if my truck is included in that "most." I've
>:|seen the sample instructions online, but they're for a Dana. I have
>:|good mechanical skills, but I've never been inside a differential
>:|before. Would anyone happen to have any experience with the Chrysler
>:|9.25" rear they could share with me? It's the 6-sided one, with 12
>:|bolts.
>:|
>:|Many thanks,
>:|Ron M.

never been inside the aforementioned diff, but if it's like any other
semi floating axle, do the following:

drain fluid and remove cover.
remove tires and brake drums ( may or may not have to do this)
remove cross pin retaining bolt
remove cross pin
push axle flange in towards differential and remove C clip with a
magnet or pick (requires 2 ppl)
repeat for other side.
remove spider gears
install Power trax unit
install C clips
put it all back together.

HTH,
Bret
Old February 15th 04, 02:43 AM
Bret Chase

Old February 17th 04, 04:02 PM
Ron M.

I really appreciate your help - just two more points, and I'm good to
go:

- What about the differential cover gasket? Do I re-use the one that's
on there, with fresh gasket sealer, or do I need to have a new one
handy?

- I don't have a torque wrench, but I can sufficiently tighten a bolt
or nut by feel with no problems. Is a torque wrench a life-or-death
requirement to do this? I'm thinking in particular of:

.....the pinion shaft retaining bolt
.....the differential cover bolts
.....the bolts holding on the disc brake calipers

Thanks!

Ron M.

Old February 23rd 04, 08:53 PM
Ron M.

> >:| - I don't have a torque wrench, but I can sufficiently tighten a bolt
> >:|or nut by feel with no problems. Is a torque wrench a life-or-death
> >:|requirement to do this? I'm thinking in particular of:
> >:|
> >:|....the pinion shaft retaining bolt
> >:|....the differential cover bolts
> >:|....the bolts holding on the disc brake calipers

> go buy or rent one. over torqueing the diffcover WILL make it leak,
> overtorquing the crosspin retaining bolt can cause it to snap (the
> torque for them is suprisingly low).
>
> the bolts for the calipers usually only need in the 30ftlbs range, but
> they're not nearly as sensative to overtorquing.

Since you guys are so helpful and knowledgeable, would you happen to
know just what the torque specs ARE for those three bolts? I've
scoured the internet, and can't find it anywhere.

Ron M.
Old February 23rd 04, 08:53 PM
Ron M.