1999 CRV: Modify Cig Lighter to "always on"

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 23rd 04, 01:20 AM
Thomas G. Marshall

Randolph coughed up:
> "Thomas G. Marshall" wrote:
>>
>> I want to switch over my CRV's cigarette lighter, or perhaps that
>> front auxiliary power thing in the footwell, to run from the battery
>> directly, bypassing the ignition relay.
>>
>> I want the CRV to behave like my /other/ cars, and allow cell-phone
>> charging even when ignition is off.
>>
>> Is this best done just before the fuse box?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> --
>> Whyowhydidn'tsunmakejavarequireanuppercaseletterto startclassnames....

> Every Honda I have worked on has had options connectors in the fuse
> box. http://www.geocities.com/ng_randolph/Civic/options.jpg shows
> what they look like on a '94 Civic. The available options connectors
> vary, but there is usually at least one that is always on, and at
> least one that is on with ignition only. If you want to rewire your
> lighter output or power outlet, it is convenient to tap into these
> options connectors. Regular 1/4" quick connects work well for that
> purpose. The Helm Service manual usually indicates which options
> connector is what, but you can also get out your voltmeter and
> measure each one. If you have the manual, you can check if the
> options connector you want to use is fused or not. On mine, there is
> one that is always on and fused with a 10A fuse. There is another
> that is always on and fused by a 50A fuse. For the latter, I use a
> smaller in-line fuse for proper protection.

HUH! If I wanted to reuse the same hot wire that is already going to the
lighter, is there a way to keep the lighter fuse in place, and easily
redirect it's input current to receive from one of the always on's?

Previously:

ignition -----> lighter fuse -----> lighter wire -----> cig. lighter.

Can I do this:

tap into always on -----> lighter fuse -----> lighter wire -----> cig.
lighter.

easily? It seems like no matter which way I do this, it's going to get
ugly.

--
"It's easier to be terrified by an enemy you admire."
-Thufir Hawat, Mentat and Master of Assassins to House Atreides