1999 CRV: Modify Cig Lighter to "always on"

Old October 23rd 04, 01:20 AM
Thomas G. Marshall

Randolph coughed up:
> "Thomas G. Marshall" wrote:
>>
>> I want to switch over my CRV's cigarette lighter, or perhaps that
>> front auxiliary power thing in the footwell, to run from the battery
>> directly, bypassing the ignition relay.
>>
>> I want the CRV to behave like my /other/ cars, and allow cell-phone
>> charging even when ignition is off.
>>
>> Is this best done just before the fuse box?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> --
>> Whyowhydidn'tsunmakejavarequireanuppercaseletterto startclassnames....

> Every Honda I have worked on has had options connectors in the fuse
> box. http://www.geocities.com/ng_randolph/Civic/options.jpg shows
> what they look like on a '94 Civic. The available options connectors
> vary, but there is usually at least one that is always on, and at
> least one that is on with ignition only. If you want to rewire your
> lighter output or power outlet, it is convenient to tap into these
> options connectors. Regular 1/4" quick connects work well for that
> purpose. The Helm Service manual usually indicates which options
> connector is what, but you can also get out your voltmeter and
> measure each one. If you have the manual, you can check if the
> options connector you want to use is fused or not. On mine, there is
> one that is always on and fused with a 10A fuse. There is another
> that is always on and fused by a 50A fuse. For the latter, I use a
> smaller in-line fuse for proper protection.

HUH! If I wanted to reuse the same hot wire that is already going to the
lighter, is there a way to keep the lighter fuse in place, and easily
redirect it's input current to receive from one of the always on's?

Previously:

ignition -----> lighter fuse -----> lighter wire -----> cig. lighter.

Can I do this:

tap into always on -----> lighter fuse -----> lighter wire -----> cig.
lighter.

easily? It seems like no matter which way I do this, it's going to get
ugly.

--
"It's easier to be terrified by an enemy you admire."
-Thufir Hawat, Mentat and Master of Assassins to House Atreides

Old October 25th 04, 02:54 AM
Abeness

Thomas G. Marshall wrote:
> HUH! If I wanted to reuse the same hot wire that is already going to the
> lighter, is there a way to keep the lighter fuse in place, and easily
> redirect it's input current to receive from one of the always on's?

No can do: the fuse that the lighter's on by default is built in to the
fuse box, and in my the '94 Civic (#19) also supplies power to the dash
lights and the radio. It's quite possible that your CRV has multiple
items on the lighter fuse as well. You'd have to seriously screw with
the fuse block to route always-on power to the hot side of the lighter
fuse. By doing so you'd also be supplying always-on power to all fuses
on the same bus as the lighter fuse: *definitely* not a good idea, so
you'd have to cut the bus so as to isolate the lighter fuse. Really unwise.

It's a relatively easy matter to pick up an inline fuse, disconnect the
lighter wire and run it to the inline fuse connected to an always-on
option connector. Much easier and not permanently damaging.
Old October 25th 04, 03:58 AM
Thomas G. Marshall

Abeness coughed up:
> Thomas G. Marshall wrote:
>> HUH! If I wanted to reuse the same hot wire that is already going
>> to the lighter, is there a way to keep the lighter fuse in place,
>> and easily redirect it's input current to receive from one of the
>> always on's?

> No can do: the fuse that the lighter's on by default is built in to
> the fuse box, and in my the '94 Civic (#19) also supplies power to
> the dash lights and the radio. It's quite possible that your CRV has
> multiple
> items on the lighter fuse as well. You'd have to seriously screw with
> the fuse block to route always-on power to the hot side of the lighter
> fuse. By doing so you'd also be supplying always-on power to all fuses
> on the same bus as the lighter fuse: *definitely* not a good idea, so
> you'd have to cut the bus so as to isolate the lighter fuse. Really
> unwise.
>
> It's a relatively easy matter to pick up an inline fuse, disconnect
> the lighter wire and run it to the inline fuse connected to an
> always-on option connector. Much easier and not permanently damaging.

Thanks. Yeah, I found that out (see other thread started by me, where I
discuss how I /did/ change the power at the fuse box, let it run overnight,
and then changed it back).

------> Do you know how the heck I can get to the back of that cig lighter?
I cannot seem to get that part of the dashboard off, nor can I "pop" out the
lighter compartment.

--
Forgetthesong,I'dratherhavethefrontallobotomy...

Old October 25th 04, 04:27 AM
Abeness

Thomas G. Marshall wrote:
> Thanks. Yeah, I found that out (see other thread started by me, where I
> discuss how I /did/ change the power at the fuse box, let it run overnight,
> and then changed it back).

Yeah, I saw that thread only after posting. Had a lot of catchup to do
after a few much-needed days away.

> ------> Do you know how the heck I can get to the back of that cig lighter?

Sorry, I don't. Might be helpful to pick up a copy of the shop manual
for your vehicle from http://helminc.com , though I suspect if you poke
around closely enough you'll find the screws holding the console in place.
Old November 26th 04, 08:18 PM
Thomas G. Marshall

Randolph coughed up:

....[rip]...

> Every Honda I have worked on has had options connectors in the fuse
> box. http://www.geocities.com/ng_randolph/Civic/options.jpg shows
> what they look like on a '94 Civic. The available options connectors
> vary, but there is usually at least one that is always on, and at
> least one that is on with ignition only. If you want to rewire your
> lighter output or power outlet, it is convenient to tap into these
> options connectors. Regular 1/4" quick connects work well for that
> purpose. The Helm Service manual usually indicates which options
> connector is what, but you can also get out your voltmeter and
> measure each one. If you have the manual, you can check if the
> options connector you want to use is fused or not. On mine, there is
> one that is always on and fused with a 10A fuse. There is another
> that is always on and fused by a 50A fuse. For the latter, I use a
> smaller in-line fuse for proper protection.

Update. For now I'm waiting for a service manual to show up in the mail
before attempting opening up the dash again. This is ridiculous----I've
never had this much trouble with a car dash before. I opened it up on my
own using simple eyeball-logic, ended up with a nearly impossible situation
to figure out----there are screws at the bottom that seem to hold 2 metal
frames together, serving double duty. It looks like the removal of those
screws would cause an inner frame to fall away, out of reach. Not going to
risk it.

Also, just "pulling" on the dash component like one of the instructions said
is not always nifty: When I did it, one of those cheap metal clips came
UNDONE from the plastic tab that was supposed to hold it. It fell off, and
landed somewhere deep inside the car. BTW, I discovered another place
missing one of those clips entirely. Thing holds together fine, there are
enough clips, but I'm spooked enough to wait.

Now, on to a real question concerning the options connectors.

As I said, I know which one of them is always on.

But to avoid actually connecting the grounding wire to a chassis bolt, I'd
like to quick-connect (1/4 inch blade connector) to an options connector
near the power one.

If I discover one of the options connectors to be 0 Ohms between it and
chassis-ground (with or without the engine running), am I more or less
guaranteed that it is Okidoki to use as the ground connection for the cig.
lighter? When my cell phone charger or cig lighter is placed in it, will
the travel through current possibly hit something else attached to that
options-ground?

Thanks!

--
"I don't want FOP, God dammit! I'm a DAPPER DAN MAN!"

Old November 26th 04, 08:18 PM
Thomas G. Marshall

Randolph coughed up: