Throwout Bearing??

Old February 22nd 05, 07:46 AM
Will Honea

Default Throwout Bearing??

I think I've got a throwout bearing going - at least when it is making
racket it sounds like a dry throwout - but that's the rub: it isn't
consistant. 88 Comanche, 94 YJ clutch/ax15, external slave. Somewhat
worse when warm (like in after a 600 mile dash last week). Depress
the clutch and it is either smooth and quiet as can be or I get a
rumbling, rubbing noise. When it's making the racket it sounds like a
dried up throwout bearing rotating on rough races - but it only does
it about every 3rd-4th shift and is worse at idle than with the engine
wound up a little. Am I overlooking something else like a displaced
throwout arm or worn clutch fingers? That intermittent part has me
wondering - never had a throwout do that befo it either was or it
wasn't. I'm just trying to figure if I can baby it until it warms up
or if I need to drop the tranny and fix it now.

Damn, I knew I should have replaced that bearing when I replaced the
slave cylinder a couple of months back but nooo - it was quiet, why
drop the tranny when you don't have to??? Some day I'll learn to go
with my gut feeling on these things.

--
Will Honea
Old February 22nd 05, 05:32 PM
Jeff Strickland

My guess is classic throw-out bearing.

Old February 22nd 05, 05:43 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I don't think Will wanted to hear that.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old February 22nd 05, 06:51 PM
Will Honea

Actually, that is the best scenario - a failing throwout I can baby
for a few weeks, even if it goes and takes the pressure plate fingers.
Never made much sense to me to drop the tranny without swapping the
pressure plate and disk even if they had half their life left. The
price doesn't justify pulling that !@#$% thing again. I just got in a
hurry the first time and went with what seemed like a good used
throwout (65k miles back) instead of waiting for the parts house to
open.

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 17:43:13 UTC L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Old February 22nd 05, 11:09 PM
Jeff Strickland

Well, if this is of any comfort, the throw out bearing in my BMW has been
making noise for at least two years.

Old February 22nd 05, 11:48 PM
Rusted

Phew. My brand new Luk bearing has been making bad noises for about a year
now, and I have not got around to looking at it yet. Has not got worse,
just not any better. Now I feel better, I figure that the worst that could
be happening is I would be ruining a bad bearing.

Old February 23rd 05, 04:11 AM
Jeff DeWitt

For some reason my ISP cut off the first message so I don't know exactly
what sound your dealing with, but recently I started hearing a sort of
metallic squeal that sounded like it was coming from the clutch.

While I would have rather fixed it myself I just didn't have time and
took it in. They told me it was the throwout bearing (which I had
already figured out), but also that it was a good thing I'd brought it
in when I did as the bearing had cracked, and if I'd kept driving it it
would have messed up the input shaft on the transmission.

Unless you are really sure what is going on I'd fix it before it gets a
lot worse and a lot more trouble and money to fix!

Jeff DeWitt

http://www.billhughes.com/

>>>--
>>>Will Honea

Throwout bearing? Noise? ray Technology 7 January 7th 05 06:48 AM
Wheel Bearing Play? - '91 Civc Si Chopface Honda 1 October 31st 04 01:29 PM
Frozen Bearing Andrew Perlow Dodge 0 October 17th 04 04:50 AM
92 Cabriolet front wheel bearing Mike VW water cooled 14 October 10th 04 04:33 PM