NR2003 & Lucky Dog question

Old April 6th 06, 12:52 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Default NR2003 & Lucky Dog question

Our league uses the LD rule. We implement it by having the LD enter
pitroad at a speed above the pit road limit and then either stop for
repairs, or wait for the "GO" sign at pit exit. this gives the drivers
an "End of Longest line" penalty. Upon going green, an admin will give
the LD a lap back. Works pretty well.

Last night we had a sitaution we haven't seen before. One car was 2
laps down. He was the only car off the lead lap. A caution came out and
he proceeded as outlined above. However, when we lined up for the
restart, he said that he was a lap down and should line up inside the
leader. We told him to go to the back and EOLL.

Anyone in a league care to offer their thoughts?

Old April 6th 06, 12:59 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

"Darus" > wrote in news:1144281148.698221.171230
@i39g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> Anyone in a league care to offer their thoughts?

Isn't that the way the Lucky Dog works? You get ONE lap back, not a
free pass to front. The fact he was two laps down should mean he would
need two lucky dog situations to regain his lead lap status...provided he
isn't lapped again before the 2nd LD.

dave henrie
Old April 6th 06, 02:42 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

I get that part. But the issue is a bit unique. Typically, in real
racing, the LD is only 1 lap down and goes to the EOLL. Lapped traffic
lines up inside the leaders. But in our case, the LD was multiple laps
down AND the only car off the lead lap. So when we go to restart, where
do we put him?

Old April 6th 06, 03:17 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

"Darus" > wrote in news:1144287756.116621.212090
@u72g2000cwu.googlegroups.com:

> I get that part. But the issue is a bit unique. Typically, in real
> racing, the LD is only 1 lap down and goes to the EOLL. Lapped traffic
> lines up inside the leaders. But in our case, the LD was multiple laps
> down AND the only car off the lead lap. So when we go to restart, where
> do we put him?

He's still one lap down. So he should line up inside of the front row.
He then has the opportunity to try and race himself back onto the lead lap
by passing the leader and staying in front til another yellow. But he can
also sit back and wait cuz he knows if there IS one more yellow, he also
gets his 2nd lap back.

dh
Old April 6th 06, 04:50 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

oups.com...
:
: Last night we had a sitaution we haven't seen before. One car was 2
: laps down. He was the only car off the lead lap. A caution came out and
: he proceeded as outlined above. However, when we lined up for the
: restart, he said that he was a lap down and should line up inside the
: leader. We told him to go to the back and EOLL.
:
: Anyone in a league care to offer their thoughts?

I was under the impression that the lucky dog rule only applies to a car one
lap down.

Old April 6th 06, 05:57 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Bob V wrote:
> "Darus" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> : Our league uses the LD rule. We implement it by having the LD enter
> : pitroad at a speed above the pit road limit and then either stop for
> : repairs, or wait for the "GO" sign at pit exit. this gives the drivers
> : an "End of Longest line" penalty. Upon going green, an admin will give
> : the LD a lap back. Works pretty well.
> :
> : Last night we had a sitaution we haven't seen before. One car was 2
> : laps down. He was the only car off the lead lap. A caution came out and
> : he proceeded as outlined above. However, when we lined up for the
> : restart, he said that he was a lap down and should line up inside the
> : leader. We told him to go to the back and EOLL.
> :
> : Anyone in a league care to offer their thoughts?
>
> I was under the impression that the lucky dog rule only applies to a car one
> lap down.

Uh...would this make sense?

If he just got one lap back (out of two)...he should go to the EOLL.When
you get the lucky dog as a 2 lap down or more car (yes,they go to the
first car a lap or more down....so a 2 lap down car can get a lucky
dog)....you don't automatically get to pull up to the inside on the
ensuing restart.You would however get to do that on the next caution
flag....but by then,if no one is put a lap down,he'd get another lucky
dog and be back on the lead lap anyways,right?
Old April 6th 06, 07:16 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

The LD guy always lines up at the end of the longest line. He DOES NOT
line up in the lapped lines, low.

Phil

Old April 6th 06, 07:24 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Philthy > wrote in
:

> The LD guy always lines up at the end of the longest line. He DOES NOT
> line up in the lapped lines, low.
>
> Phil
>
> On 5 Apr 2006 18:42:36 -0700, "Darus" > wrote:
>
>>I get that part. But the issue is a bit unique. Typically, in real
>>racing, the LD is only 1 lap down and goes to the EOLL. Lapped traffic
>>lines up inside the leaders. But in our case, the LD was multiple laps
>>down AND the only car off the lead lap. So when we go to restart, where
>>do we put him?

But if the Lucky Dog is still one lap down, why would he go to the end
of the longest line? That would give him either only half a lap...or a lap
and a half. Boy, I guess I'd better pay more attention when Nascar makes
new rules.
Biffle got at least 3 lucky dogs at Atlanta(I think it was there) did he
always go to the Back of the Longest Line or did he line up as a lapped car
on the inside lane?

dave henrie
Old April 6th 06, 02:19 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

"Dave Henrie" > wrote in message
. 97.136...
: Philthy > wrote in
: :
:
: > The LD guy always lines up at the end of the longest line. He DOES NOT
: > line up in the lapped lines, low.
: >
: > Phil
: >
[...]

Found this over on JaySki. It was a Q&A interview with John Darby, Cup
Series Director

How will a car be repositioned in the lineup when it gets a lap back?

Darby: The way that procedure'll work is number one, everybody needs to
understand that it's the highest scored position not on the lead lap. It
won't be the car closest to the leader. In other words, if there's 21 cars
on the lead lap, the competitor that'll be affected by receiving that lap
back will be the 22nd on the scoreboard, okay? Now the way that will be
done, is that lineup will be compiled and that position will be decided
before pit road opens, so that if that competitor is a lap down, he still
pits with the lap-down cars and exits with the lap-down cars. Before we
resume the race, we will move that competitor around the pace car and to the
tail end of the lead lap. He will not be able to advance any scored
positions. What'll happen is he will receive one lap back. And that
competitor may two laps down, may be four laps down. It'll be the first car
not on the lead lap.

Old April 6th 06, 02:21 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

"Bob V" > wrote in message
:
: "Dave Henrie" > wrote in message
: . 97.136...
:: Philthy > wrote in
:: :
::
:: > The LD guy always lines up at the end of the longest line. He DOES NOT
:: > line up in the lapped lines, low.
:: >
:: > Phil
:: >
[...]

Clarification: Interview took place in 2003. I don't know if Darby still
has that position.

NR2003 entry fee $100. How many new guys pay it? Joe Simulators 37 July 23rd 05 04:28 PM
Porsche 944 taillight question Nate Nagel Driving 73 January 29th 05 12:24 AM
Ignorant question. Jeepers Jeep 9 January 15th 05 06:42 AM
Where to get Official Speed Limit Info [email protected] Driving 40 January 3rd 05 08:10 AM